MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Tarheel
Full Fledged Farker

Default Is this a slap on the wrist for drinkin reps?

This is on one of the other forums so I wanted to see what this forum thought.

Two reps have been punished by the board for drinking while at a contest on duty. They recieved a suspension of 6 contest or 3 months. There is a rule in the reps manuel against it. They were asked by the ones who supplied the drinks if that was allowed and both said the rule had been changed.

Now, a cook gets caught using gas the wrong way, a hair dryer now, saying the wrong thing to a rep, or being unruley they are suspended for a year. Case in point, a team cooking there second contest used a weed burner to relight there coals in a bullet after removing the brisket from the bottom rack but they left the butt on the top rack. They did not know.

Too bad, suspended for a year.

These two reps knew the rules, lied about it, and for one it is the second offence.

You tell me, does this seem even to you? Just for info, One board member voted for no punishment, and two abstained.
There are no guidelines for punishment for reps or judges and the board is trying to correct that. But it needs to be even in my opinion.
The reps are paid independent contractors now, they are suppose to be overseeing the contest for the KCBS. They should be held to the higher standard.

My two cents.
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #2
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Time to catch up...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=106087

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #3
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The Rep that had the second offense should be stripped of any & all KCBS offices, titles and jobs or duties. The other one should get a minimum of a one year suspension.
But then again, we have semi-famous Master CBJs who seem to have skated for the same crap.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-17-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
I thought in that case it was judges, not reps, who were drinking? I don't think these are the same situations.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by huminie View Post
I thought in that case it was judges, not reps, who were drinking? I don't think these are the same situations.

In my opinion the Reps should get a stiffer punishment than the judges. It's kinda like the cop who takes dope from the evidence locker & gets high - he (or she) d*mn well should have known better.
If you are in charge of enforcing the rules & you break said rules shouldn't your punishment be more severe?
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie'48 View Post
In my opinion the Reps should get a stiffer punishment than the judges. It's kinda like the cop who takes dope from the evidence locker & gets high - he (or she) d*mn well should have known better.
If you are in charge of enforcing the rules & you break said rules shouldn't your punishment be more severe?
I don't necessarily disagree. I was just pointing out that this is a new horse we have yet to beat rather than that grease mark on the pavement that is the judging/drinking/verbal abuse debacle.

Old 06-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #7
redneck cooker
On the road to being a farker

Aw...the dramaof KCBS.....Looks like reps and CBJ's should be held to the same level of respect and should be punished the same, for the same rule infraction(s), it all looks bad on the assn...

Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #8
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

What boggles my mind is that while the rule has been in place for at least as long as I've been a member of KCBS, they neglected to assign a consequence for breaking them. There is no reason to be making up punishments on a case-to-case basis.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #9
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Rules are rules... they are there for a reason.

So if KCBS has the rules in place, why don't they, or if so no one has mentioned them, have the consequences listed as well, they do for teams that break the rules..... or didn't they think they would be broken?
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #10
SaucyWench
Full Fledged Farker

Exactly!

Old 06-17-2011, 07:25 PM   #11
gmholler
Full Fledged Farker

Personally, I'd like to hear the other side of the story; I know the reps in question and what I've heard doesn't sound like them AT ALL. I've heard one of them speak out at a CBJ class I helped with about not drinking alcohol at contests, so something doesn't seem right.

Lynn H.
gmholler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #12
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
This is on one of the other forums so I wanted to see what this forum thought.

Now, a cook gets caught using gas the wrong way, a hair dryer now, saying the wrong thing to a rep, or being unruley they are suspended for a year. Case in point, a team cooking there second contest used a weed burner to relight there coals in a bullet after removing the brisket from the bottom rack but they left the butt on the top rack. They did not know.

Too bad, suspended for a year.
Give me some insight here. How do you remove the top rack, to remove the bottom rack, on a WSM and then put the top rack back on, and not know about it?

A hair dryer makes heat electrically, use a fan.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 10:09 PM   #13
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Hair dryer??? i dont get it, how can its be used in comp bbq?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2011, 11:12 PM   #14
huminie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Hair dryer??? i dont get it, how can its be used in comp bbq?
To stoke coals...as in forced draft....but it also contains a heating element like an electric cooker would.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Oh, man. This is too complicated.

Drinking reps, judges maybe, hair dryers as forced draft, changing racks, removing bottom first (how does that work?) crime and punishment . . .

Can someone start all over at the beginning for me?

:-)
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote