MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #1
john616
Got Wood.

Default Still Learning (UPDATE)

Ok, so I smoked some ribs and a fattie yesterday. This time I used RO lump charcoal. Filled my basket 2/3 full with unlit then added about 1/2 chimney lit charcoal on the left side of the basket closed it up and started to prep the ribs. By the time I was done we were up to cooking cooking temp already. I threw the ribs on closed her up and had my coffee while I watched. She recovered very fast to 225 and kept climbing so I had to do something I have never done before........close the damper down 50%! At 50% closed she held a solid 230 for 2.5 hours before the temps started to fall.
Two and a half hours may not sound like a big deal to you, but to me that is a big deal!
I looked in the firebox and the coal was mostly spent so I raked all the coal to the left and put more unlit behind it on the right. (Don't know if that is the right way to do it or not but it did work) The temps droped into the lower 190s before they started to recover. After that I checked the firebox more often and repeated the above before the coals burned down so far with very little drop in temp.(all this with no fan!!)
I smoked for 6.5-7hrs and used one 10# bag Royal Oak. Does this sound about right to you guys?
Thanks to all who got me flying right on my charcoal issue!

You guys ROCK!
john616 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 10:30 AM   #2
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

What kind of smoker is it?

Old 05-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #3
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Congrats! 2.5 hours is of steady temps before adding more fuel is awesome in a CG.

Old 05-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

As Hannibal always says "I love it when a plan comes together!"

6-7 hours of cooking at 225* in a Chargriller on 10# of RO lump sounds great to me! Sounds like a problem solved!

BTW were you not amazed at the difference in the amount of ash?
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #5
john616
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
As Hannibal always says "I love it when a plan comes together!"

6-7 hours of cooking at 225* in a Chargriller on 10# of RO lump sounds great to me! Sounds like a problem solved!

BTW were you not amazed at the difference in the amount of ash?

Absolutely!
john616 is offline   Reply With Quote