MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 08-25-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Question Thoughts about Throwdown changes...

After two different "Rookie, Virgin, Amateur, FNG" Throwdowns, and with a common theme bringing both of them about, and for various other reasons like my crazed wandering mind, I was thinking...

What if we did something sort of in the vein of Jeopardy, where we have past winners only competing against other past winners?

Basically have two Throwdowns going each week (or two) where one is for people who have not won before, and the other is for past winners, or "Champions", or whatever you wish to call them.

I don't think we could ever have a case where someone would feel too intimidated to enter, because if they have never won before they will compete against others who also have never won. Conversely, those who have won have clearly demonstrated an ability to compete against other past winners and would from then on enter against past winners.

Otherwise these Throwdowns would be the same. I think the rules as they are have withstood a good test of time...except the team entry thing. I think that might need some revision.

I guess we can talk about that Team Entry rule here too. Here are my current thoughts about the team entry rule:

My first thought is to change the rule to allow team entries at any time, but change the definition of team entry and individual entry. If one member worked to create the dish then it would be an individual entry. If more than one person worked to make the dish then it would be a team entry.

My second thought is just toss out the whole team idea altogether.

So, whaddaya think?
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
caseydog

I have kicked around similar ideas in my head.

Maybe one Throwdown, with two classes???

If you do two throwdowns, you can still have the winner of the Noob TD pick the category, but then they move into the veteran. Or, maybe you have to move up after three wins. Anyone can enter the veteran TD, no matter if they have won or not. You just can't enter the Noob TD if you have too many wins.

It might give people a chance to polish their skills before jumping into deeper water.

I have no problem with "team entries" either, within reason. Maybe limit team size, so spouses and immediate family members can work together on and entry -- or a few brethren just getting together -- no bash required. I think spouses and their kids should cook together. And, I'd love to do a throwdown with another Dallas area brethren, just for the of fun cooking together, and making some new friends. As long as you limit the number of skilled cooks on the team, it really shouldn't matter, IMO.

No matter what you do, I think the veterans should be encouraged to reach out to the Noobs to help them improve their TD skills. Most of the time, it is not cooking abilities that hold the Noobs back, but planning and presentation skills. That's voluntary, of course, but I bet most of the regulars would gladly offer advice to newer TD entrants who want it. We have a "photography tips" thread, maybe we need a thread dedicated to "questions to the veterans." ????

These are all just thoughts. Hopefully you'll get more ideas to get more people involved in the fun challenge of throwdowns.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 08-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
colonel00
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I do like CD's ideas. If you did two classes I fear it would eventually saturate the champions league and thin the b00n league without good influx of new players. I don't mind team entries as long as it has limits as well. For instance, that amazing stuff that Gore posted was awesome but nobody would stand a chance against it. Not to mention the girl with the fork impalement. She is nails. As a relative FNG to TD's I admit that it is intimidating when you see all the great stuff people post. However, once you realize it's all for fun and don't take it too seriously then who really cares. Hell, I had a crap entry into the FNG TD, got a goose egg and had more people wanting to vote for the cute little girl with the plastic food, but I still enjoy it.
[B][COLOR=red]WWWWFBBQADD[/COLOR][/B]
[B]0 out of 1 members found this post helpful[/B] :thumb:

“I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
colonel00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:57 PM   #4
deguerre

Hope you gotta DAMN good spreadsheet.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #5
caseydog

BTW, I hope you aren't over-reacting the the horse dovies controversy with these suggested changes. The system ain't broke, but it could possibly be revised to encourage more participation. Just don't throw the good meat out with the SPAM.

CD
Old 08-25-2011, 06:14 PM   #6
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I'm all for mixing things up some. I have never been close to winning but I don't mind going up against anything. I guess some are somewhat timid so the noob thing might encourage more entries.

I know it's all fun but sometimes I get my undies all twisted up. Mainly when voters didn't bother to see what the category really was about, and just voted for a pretty picture. Guess there is no way to prevent that.

Having been away for a short spell, I liked the new idea of the Master Cut. BTW voting is still going on so vote for me.

And today Bill bumped the thread, lots of lookers but not many voters? I can see why some might want to wait and think it over, lets get some votes from those lookers. Do they think they are not allowed?

Chris you have done an awesome job of keeping things lively around here and I think you deserve a huge thanks. : thumb:

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #7
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jim View Post
Having been away for a short spell, I liked the new idea of the Master Cut.
I think he is killing it.

CD
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM   #8
Smiter Q
is One Chatty Farker

Was thinking if the CURRENT TD's were a sticky untop of regular Q-Talk, not in a seperate area itself... more folks may poke their nose into it. It is kind of disconnected IMO of where it is positioned on the Q-Talk board, and new folks may need to see it on an easier view. Easier access to view it may entice more folks too.
Brian: Weber: OTG + Lime Performer - - Keeping the Armor On - Eph. 6:11
Smiter Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #9
landarc

The mere fact that Casey Dog and Bigabyte are thinking along the same lines makes me nervous. I am against change!

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited by landarc; 08-25-2011 at 06:22 PM.. Reason: smiley added to insure understanding of my sarcasm
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiter Q View Post
Was thinking if the CURRENT TD's were a sticky untop of regular Q-Talk, not in a seperate area itself... more folks may poke their nose into it. It is kind of disconnected IMO of where it is positioned on the Q-Talk board, and new folks may need to see it on an easier view. Easier access to view it may entice more folks too.
They actually started out as posts in Q-Talk. But in order to make it easier to find, and in order to allow me to moderate the Throwdowns without having moderator powers in the regular forums (do you really want that?) then a new forum was created specifically for the Throwdowns. That way people can find all they need right there, and if something needs to be changed I can do it as opposed to asking the regular mods to do even more work than they already do.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?

Duh.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:28 PM   #11
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
The mere fact that Casey Dog and Bigabyte are thinking along the same lines makes me nervous. I am against change!

I'm surprised myself! We hadn't even really discussed this sort of thing before about two separate Throwdowns.

Duh.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
Midnight Smoke

A TD amongst past winners sounds like fun. A Winners Circle TD. How would the category be chosen?

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Have the winner of each throwdown pic the category for the other. That could be interesting. just a thought.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #14
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post

Yeah, it kind of scares me, too. I'm worried that I'll have nightmares, where supply-side economics makes sense. If I wake up from that dream, I may not sleep for days.

CD
Old 08-25-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
caseydog

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Midnight ☼ Smoke} View Post
A TD amongst past winners sounds like fun. A Winners Circle TD. How would the category be chosen?
I'm thinking a single elimination beer pong tournament to determine the category.

CD