From Backyard to Competition

TexasGuppie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I had the pleasure of a surprise telephone call a few days ago...it was "WishinFishin" (who had tracked me down through my company's website) asking if I had a "BBQ team." My response was "yes" (it's comprised of myself and my brother-in-law and the team's namesake, "Lucky" the Chihuahua) but let me be the first to say we are NOT a "real" team.

We have "competed" but only in neighborhood association and church events (which are all loosely regulated.) WishinFishin hooked me up with the "Lonestar Barbecue Association" and encouraged me to get "involved" in competitions.

Dang it...I wish I had the courage (and expertise) to go from the driveway to the real-deal events.

What pushed you "REAL" competitors to do so?

(I hope this is in the right forum as I wanted to touch base with fellow "wannabees" and not the PROS over there at the Competition side.)

Ken

Going to my first BBQ cookoff to check it out and walking around kicking myself in the ass while thinking..."Shiet, I can do this."

Same here.
Walked around, looked at folks pits, what and how they were cooking. After turn ins, sampled some of their wares, and I knew I would be able to compete.
Haven't yet, but will do my first on '07.

For me it was watching BBQ competitions on Food Network, and a call (or e-mail, I can't remember which) from Parrothead.

All I can say, Ken, is "Just do it!" You don't need expensive equipment and a trailer cooker to get started. We see a lot of teams with backyard cookers like WSMs or Chargrillers, and some of them do well.

You'll want some basic things like a decent canopy, tables, bus tubs or similar for prep and cleanup, etc., but you don't have to go crazy to get started. You can go crazy later... :-D

[Dang it...I wish I had the courage (and expertise) to go from the driveway to the real-deal events.

OK.........Stop right there.....when most of us started, we didn't have the expertise (LOL...and at times still don't) of the guys we were going up against. What you will find is that most of the competitors are just like your brothers here on the site, willing to help and answer questions....1st KCBS competition we ever did, 3 Little Pigs out of KC took us under their wing and really helped us with presentation and timing. We placed 12th overall.....so get your butt out there, join into the fun....be prepared to learn and learn a lot, and set realistic goals....even if you come in dead last, a day of cooking is better than mowing or raking anytime! Come see my yard! ROFLMAO!!

The way I see it, as long as you don't show up so clueless and so unprepared as to embarrass yourselves, you'll be OK. You don't sound to me like someone who would do that anyway. As long as you're comfortable with what you're cooking and how you're cooking it, all you need to do is be able to create an attractive turn-in box and you won't have to worry about finishing last. And let's face it, even if you did, I bet you'd learn enough so that it wouldn't happen again.
The comps are all about good people and having fun. If you're trying to make more out of it than that, you're probably going to have a lot of dissappointments. Even the best cooks with the most experience still have bad days, be it with their turn ins or just getting a bad table of judges. The only guarantee is that you'll have a good time if you let yourself.
I guess what I'm trying to say in a long winded way is:
A) Do your homework and know what the judges will be looking for in your entries
B) Get out there and give it your best shot
C) Have fun and don't sweat the results.

These fine folks are exactly right.

Wine&Swine and I decided to enter a grilling contest earlier this year and had a great time so we dove into our first KCBS contest a couple weeks later with no real practice, prep, etc.

We got killed, but learned some amazing lessons and met some great people. Now I can't wait to try it again!

My suggestion would be to start reading through some of the great posts in the competition section, starting with this great thread Noah started on "lessons learned."
http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19775

Bottom line "Just Do It". I had no experience and had never been to a competition prior to my first. My only exposure was from television. I hooked up with some great guys (Go Four Q!) and we are now on our way to our third competion next week.

This forum is a resource for just about everything you need to know.

TexasGuppie said:
I had the pleasure of a surprise telephone call a few days ago...it was "WishinFishin" (who had tracked me down through my company's website) asking if I had a "BBQ team." My response was "yes" (it's comprised of myself and my brother-in-law and the team's namesake, "Lucky" the Chihuahua) but let me be the first to say we are NOT a "real" team.

We have "competed" but only in neighborhood association and church events (which are all loosely regulated.) WishinFishin hooked me up with the "Lonestar Barbecue Association" and encouraged me to get "involved" in competitions.

Dang it...I wish I had the courage (and expertise) to go from the driveway to the real-deal events.

(I hope this is in the right forum as I wanted to touch base with fellow "wannabees" and not the PROS over there at the Competition side.)

Ken

Ken,

There is no courage needed. People who have BBQ teams pee and poop just like you and I. They are just good folks like yourself. We didn't know our butts from a hole in the wall at our first contest. All we did was read as much as we could. I wasn't even a Brethren at that time. The day of the contest we were immediately befriended by the team next to us. They assured us that we would have fun like we never had before and that all the competitors were as friendly as could be. They were right. They helped us through the contest and we had the time of our lives. Go and sign up for a contest. We will help you through it and I bet you will have the time of you life. I do have to warn you that it is addictive and it is very easy to get hooked on. enjoy.

Listen to what Kick said. When we started we got help from everyone here directly or indirectly. You'll have fun and will be an expert in your own way. Become a certified judge that will help you get started. Courage is only a state of mind you've got it, go for it.

Lee (SloppyQ)

Back