• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

stone or cast iron pan for pizza on bge

i use a red sky for the weber. works awesome!

however, i've read that the baking steel is now the absolute way to go.

I prefer my Lodge CI pizza pan over a stone. Crust comes out perfect every time.

Also, the CI pan can be used for other applications, fajitas, flat top burgers etc. Well worth the money.

Since I have never tried a CI dish for pizza I will speak only to the stone type. I have been making Pizza on a WFO for a while. The porous nature of stone tends to wick out the liquids and IMHO will result in a crispier final product. I use a piece of natural granite that was left over from some projects around the house. I use the un-polished side and preheat the stone in my convection oven while I bring my Vision Kamado up to the highest temperature I can muster. 700 degrees +. The key in getting a good spring in the crust, is to get the dome of the cooker equal to the temp of the stone or greater. I make Neapolitan style pizzas. No greater than 10" in circumference, sparse sauce, the best cheese I can find and one or two toppings. Fresh Mozzarella can be a challenge on a thin crust pizza because the cheese will implode it's oil and blow a hole through the crust. Flour on your stone is you enemy as it will burn quickly. Use a peel that is perforated so that the flour can be shaken off prior to loading the pie on the cooker. The true art of pizza is baking and broiling at equal temps. master that my friend and you are a Pizziaola on any type of cooker!

Jed

I prefer the stone, but I haven't done any pan za's, only thin crust style.
I put legs down on the placesetter, put the stone right on top of the setter, and I've cooked za from 450 to 700 degrees. NO issues.

Now, I don't take the stone off or move it until it's 100% cooled off (next day...lol) and I use a steel pizza peel and parchment paper...

I have made the switch from stone to cast iron and will not go back. The cast iron gives me a superior crunch on the crust, is more durable, and just cooks my pizzas better whether it is a pre-baked crust or from dough.

I'm not sure what's best for a BGE, but I have two of the Lodge 14" CI pizza pans, and I love them. Mmmmmmmm... pizza. :-D

Back