Butchering weekend plus Bacon in progress - PrOn!

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
This past Saturday we did our annual hog butchering. This year we did 2 1/2 hogs (5 sides). All together we processed 495 pounds of pork. :thumb: Besides the fresh cuts like chops, tenderloin, fresh side pork and roasts we made brats, breakfast sausage (links and bulk), summer sausage and then we finished up with 60 pounds of venison summer sausage. I brought home several chunks of belly which I started curing tonight and will be smoking next week.

Here are a few shots from the weekend.

First up the equipment...

Stuffer and grinder

DSC_0415_zps4db98bdf.jpg

My new slicer that I picked up with gift cards from Christmas

DSC_0458_zpsd6816ffe.jpg

Removing the hocks

DSC_0424_zpsbf74b56f.jpg

Removing the loin

DSC_0437_zps0796e65e.jpg

Leaf lard (going to render for biscuits and fish frying)

DSC_0413_zpsab336690.jpg

Brats rolling out of the stuffer

DSC_0456_zps97150fda.jpg

Pork summer sausages ready to be hung

DSC_0476_zps0ddef49e.jpg

Venison summer sausages

DSC_0477_zps20da500b.jpg

And shots from tonight...prepping the pork belly

DSC_0479_zpscfd620d2.jpg

Meatie!

DSC_0480_zps29164b02.jpg

DSC_0478_zps42d9c37d.jpg

The freezer is chuck full between the pork and the doe I shot this year. :hungry:

I like the way you roll Pi parties are hard work and all fun:-D That is some nice Belly it will make some fine Bacon.

"This year we did 2 1/2 hogs"
We used to kill hogs but I never done that before. Was it a smart hog?
As in the joke punch-line "you don't eat a pig that smart all at once".:biggrin1:

SO awesome! Especially love the Sawzall pic :thumb:

My concern with the Sawsall blade is they are usually painted and as you cut with it the paint is worn off and imparts itself on the wood you are cutting. Wouldn't the paint impart itself on the meat also?
Ed

Cool, brings back a lot of memories of the big family hog-killin's when I was growing up. We processed three wild hogs last week that my son and I brought back from a hunting trip. I don't scald and scrape them, though, just skin 'em. Made a bunch of sausage Sunday from the trimmings.

Great now my wife wants me to get some new gear lol

Great job Westy!! It really helps to have friends when butchering. Did you scald?
Congrats on the venison in the freezer too. :thumb:

Now that's fresh! :clap2:

I've rendered leaf lard for biscuits & folks asked me why they were so much better than normal. :cool:

Looks like quite the operation. How many hours to it take start to finish?

We started at 7:30 and were done with the cutting and had just started grinding by noon.

From about 12:30 to 2:30 we did the rest of the grinding and mixing and were done stuffing by 3:00. I think we had all the packaging done by 3:30 so roughly about 8 hours total. We had some cleanup time afterwards. It makes for a full day but it's a blast getting the family together and filling the freezers.

Here are a couple more shots...10AM break, time for homemade pies and bottles of ski (soda-pop locally bottled in town). I usually touch up my knife with a hone at the 10AM break.

DSC_0442_zps0bad9994.jpg

Brats!

0ec52de2.jpg

Inside the ladies tend to the kids and work on vacuum sealing everything up. Before this was the bottle neck of the entire process but we picked up two commercial grade sealers from Cabelas and when you get a couple people putting meat in the bags and then a person on each sealer you can wrap up the job pretty quickly.

We used to kill, scald and clean the hogs in the mornings but the last couple years we have cheated a bit and got them from the locker with that work already done. Speeds things up a fair amount.

My concern with the Sawsall blade is they are usually painted and as you cut with it the paint is worn off and imparts itself on the wood you are cutting. Wouldn't the paint impart itself on the meat also?
Ed

We have been using the sawsall for years and I haven't noticed this happening. Then again we don't make a lot of cuts with it either.

Back