MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring

Notices

BBQ Brethren Team Mentoring *On Topic Only* From the Backyard to the American Royal... thats our motto. Here is a place for those interested in Competition BBQ, but not yet ready to venture out alone can hook up and help out our veteran teams to see what its like on "The Dark Side". More instructions inside.

Old 02-18-2015, 02:49 PM   #1
Steam67
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default ***Steam67 in Raleigh, NC

Hi,

I'm hoping to help any team in the area who's willing!

I've never cooked in a BBQ competition, though I love BBQ of all types.

I'm a CA native, though I've lived in NC for nearly 3 years now.

I'm a former pro chef (CIA trained), and I know enough to know that I've always got plenty to learn. I do have some experience with BBQ from the foodservice side of things. However, I don't have any ego about my 'cue abilities, and I can listen and take direction with the best of them.

I'm not afraid of hard work; in fact, I like it.

I just took the KCBS CBJ class a few weeks ago.

I'm willing to drive multiple hours to be of assistance.

Thanks a lot for reading, and feel free to offer any tips or suggestions to getting some time in with a team!
Steam67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-19-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
WhitesideJC
Full Fledged Farker

welcome fellow North Carolinian! Did you take the CBJ class in Apex? I tried to but it was all full, so I'm headed over to Lexington next weekend.

Sounds like we're in the same boat in terms of trying to get experience!

L BGE // Cinder Block Pit // Shirley 24 x 36 Patio
WhitesideJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:46 AM   #3
Steam67
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey, thanks!

I'd be happy to let you know if I find any cool opportunities.

I did take the class in Apex. There were 130 people there! It was really well organized (especially considering the size), fun, and informative. I'd love to hear your impressions of the class in Lexington.

FWIW, the organizers said that in order to have a prayer of getting a spot judging, you have to send applications in as early as possible (even before getting your CBJ number), especially for rookies. I can only imagine the flood of applicants that came from my class alone.

Anyway, thanks for checking in, and I hope to see you around. I'll be at the contest in Apex in June if my usual fishing trip to Montana falls through (which seems likely this year). If you're planning on going, it'd be cool to say hi and compare notes.
Steam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
WhitesideJC
Full Fledged Farker

Well just got some unfortunate news. The CBJ class has been cancelled in Lexington due to lack of participation - sounds like everyone headed out to Apex based on the numbers y'all had there!

Back to the drawing board - are you familiar with any of the NCBS Boot Camps / Judging classes? They are definitely more expensive, but more days / time to learn during the course of it.

This was bad news - I had been looking forward to Saturday for quite some time now!

L BGE // Cinder Block Pit // Shirley 24 x 36 Patio
WhitesideJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:13 AM   #5
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

PM me if you are interesting in hanging around with a team. Will be competing in Apex on June 19-20.
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote