temps on the WSM and Mavericks??

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Im 4 hours in to a cook with 4 butts (two six pounders and two 10 pounders) on my 22.5" WSM. I keep reading that the Mavericks on the grate will read higher than the lid temp. Well, im experiencing the opposite. My lid temp is 255 and my Mavericks are at 253. I have the therm of the mav inserted into a potato cut in half because I lost the clip that came with them.

Did I read somewhere that the temps at the lid should be higher than at the top grate? Just kind of weird, I think.

Any help?

Check your Mavericks...check your thermometer in the lid. The lid temp should always be hotter. I've never seen it where it isn't.

It may just be that one or both of your thermometers are not properly ready. And with the temps being so close that is the most likely issue here.

Your grate temp is really close to the factory gauge temp because it's relatively close to a big piece of meat or two that started off relatively cold. This is why so many folks like to just drop the probe in the vent where the overall stream of circulation ends up, feeling this is the most consistant place. (My factory gauge isn't accurate anymore and I feel like putting duct tape over it.)

When done cooking, use both maverick probes to check and see if the vent doesn't read higher than the grate, and the grate reads higher than the factory lid gauge. If any surprises, I'd check for therm accuracy in boiling water.

Your grate temp is really close to the factory gauge temp because it's relatively close to a big piece of meat or two that started off relatively cold. This is why so many folks like to just drop the probe in the vent where the overall stream of circulation ends up, feeling this is the most consistant place. (My factory gauge isn't accurate anymore and I feel like putting duct tape over it.)

When done cooking, use both maverick probes to check and see if the vent doesn't read higher than the grate, and the grate reads higher than the factory lid gauge. If any surprises, I'd check for therm accuracy in boiling water.

Dave has a really good point about the placement of the probe and the meat. There are a number of possibilities why your grate temp and lid temp are so close.

Just as Dave says you need to check your thermometers too.

Back