Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

You know if I'm remembering correctly Superior coffee is one of the best ones available from most food service companies

Thanks, everyone.

As for bulk orders, I already have a policy in place for placing them in advance. And for coffee, I'm a big coffee snob and there's no question I will only be serving coffee I want to drink myself. For now, I've just been grinding my own beans at home and bringing them to the restaurant. While that isn't a sustainable retail model, I will be seeking out the best bulk coffee I can buy.

And the butcher paper size is a non-issue now. Cut the sheets in half and they fit on the trays almost perfectly with just an inch or so overhang. I don't know why I had such a brain fart and didn't think of that ahead of time.

The local paper is coming tomorrow to take pics and interview me for a story, so that should drum up more interest. And my wife told me that people are talking and spreading the word at her office after Saturday's event, so that's good.

Now, I just hope the health inspector calls me back first thing in the morning and gives the OK to do the final inspection on Thursday, then I can make an official announcement to the masses that the grand opening will be on Friday.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck and having a buzz about when you open is a wonderful thing!

I'm sure you will knock it out of the park with some hard work and dedication which you obviously have!

Ok, just because the brethren are so damn awesome, here's my pickle recipe. This is my home sized recipe that makes two quart jars or so.

Ingredients
• 4-6 medium cucumbers, or 8-10 small pickling cucumbers
• 4 cups water
• 2 cups white vinegar
• 8-12 cloves of garlic
• 6 tablespoons of pickling/canning salt or non-iodized kosher salt
• A few sprigs of fresh dill, or substitute with 2 tablespoons of dill seed
• 1 teaspoon coriander seed
• 1 teaspoon celery seed
• 1 teaspoon mustard seed
• 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
• 2 Hungarian hot wax peppers

Directions

Start by bringing the water to a simmer in a saucepan. While the water is heating, peel the garlic. For a subtle garlic flavor, use 8 cloves (4 in each jar). Use more for a stronger garlic flavor. Leave the cloves whole. Once the water is up to a simmer you can add the garlic and cook for about five minutes. While the garlic is cooking, prepare your cucumbers by slicing into quarters lengthwise for spears, or cut thin chips. After the garlic has cooked for five minutes, add the vinegar and salt and bring to a boil until the salt is dissolved and then remove from the heat.

In two one-quart canning jars (wide-mouth jars work best for this) add the fresh sprigs of dill and remove the garlic from the pan and distribute equally in both jars. Then divide the remaining spices between the two jars. If you want a touch of heat, add one Hungarian hot pepper, halved lengthwise, to each jar. Next, take the cucumbers and pack them tightly into each jar. Bring the brine back up to a boil and pour immediately into both jars, filling very close to the very top so that the cucumbers are completely covered.

Let cool to room temp and then refrigerate overnight. They are really good after sitting overnight, but amazing after another day or two.

THANK YOU!!!

Wifey is on board with this!

Marubozo,

Just wanted to say congrats on your journey. As many have said, you are going down a road that many of us have thougt and dreamed about, and wish you all the success and joy that your work and effort deserve.

Good luck (though I doubt you will need it) and all the best to you on the Grand Opening. I would love it if a place like yours opened up within driving distance to me. If I'm ever in the area, I will definitely be stopping in. The food looks great. This has been one of my favorite threads to follow and I can't wait to try the pickle recipe. You are a great example of where hard work and smart planning with get you and I have no doubt that you will be more successful that you imagine.

Keep the thread going. It's been great.

You could try Paramount Coffee in Lansing Mi, They go all over. Congrats on
Your opening, you've had a long and hard road to get there. Hope to make it out to try out your Q soon.:clap2:

Health inspector just left. I need to fix some broken tiles in the kitchen, even though the countless restaurants before me were operating with them in the same condition. And there's never been a mop sink in this place and just a mop bucket, but he's making me install a mop sink.

Kind of stupid, but easy fixes. Going to the township office to drag the mechanical inspector down here to write a stupid letter saying the smoker is good, and that's all that's left. Health department said if I get those things taken care of they will be here first thing Friday morning and we should be able to open that day.

Can't wait to hear that you are officially open! I'm just down the road in Edwardsburg, so we will definitely be checking you out as soon as you are officially open...

Yeah, a friend is going through that now, solid concrete floor (12" deep structural slab), two previous coffee shops operated there, with no floor sink under espresso machine, inspector is requiring a floor sink. No tile floor, just linoleum, inspector is requiring tile.

Still waiting for the damn inspector to call back. This waiting game is brutal.

In the meantime, I spent the day making (and eating) chicken. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. :mrgreen:

140mc7t.jpg

You get those buns from a local bakery?

They look flawless!! Oh, and the chicken looks spectacular!

Back