I Am Confused!

bbqbull

Watching over us.
We shop at Kroger's here in Michigan.
Went there after running errands today and grabbed some ground burger meat. I always buy the fresh ground burger in the styrafoam trays that are shrink wrapped.
With these older eyes I am straining to find the experation date, doing the arm extension bullchit......some of you will understand.

I realize they do not carry 80-20 mix anymore. I checked a bunch of packages.......guess what? It is all a 73-27 mix at $3.33 a #. :rolleyes:
This was in the family sized package, I did not bother to check out the 5# tubes of factory ground meat is this stuff had been recalled a few times.

Is this the new trend around the country? I would love to hear other opinions.

Thanks.

I haven't seen it but my girl just said she had seen it a few weeks ago and thought was odd. What did they label it as?

Not sure havent had issue in STLville yet but maybe a seasonal thing with lack of product = More fat! I could hols a whole Angus Steer for you ready in July! You should yaild around 230lbs of ground..... It not like BobBrisket is gonna get it!!!!!!:crazy:

Just picked up some 80/20 yesterday at Wally World, BUT, funny you mention this. They had a larger section of the 73/27, almost 3-4 times more facings of it than they have had in the past. I'd pay a little more for the 90/10 if I had to before going to the 73. That stuff is mostly fat, even at that ratio.
As far as those tubes go.............I stay away from that stuff, I don't care how low the price is. One bad experience was enough for me.

That is high for 73-27, but cattles prices these day have gone out of sight and it appera they will stay there for awhile

I've been grinding my own lately. It looks real purty and tastes great.

. What did they label it as?

Just checked the new packages, labeled as Ground Beef 73-27.
Last week it was labeled ground chuck which is normally 80-20 mix.

I will get an email to Kroger's Home Office....Honestly they will probably blow me off like a bug on their arm.

I am not a happy camper for sure.

We don't have Kroger's but, I doubt we will see much in the way of what you are talking about Bull, most all the stores here struggle to sell 80/20 except for Walmart. I tend to buy from the butcher counter so it is all bulk and mostly higher lean content.

Corn prices are way up, which means corn fed animals, like most cattle and chickens, are getting more expensive. Fuel prices are up, too, which adds to transportation costs.

CD

We don't have Kroger's but, I doubt we will see much in the way of what you are talking about Bull, most all the stores here struggle to sell 80/20 except for Walmart. I tend to buy from the butcher counter so it is all bulk and mostly higher lean content.

My favorite family owned chain just closed their 7th store in less than 2 months. The last 3 closed last week.
Hundreds more out of work. My 2 closest real meat markets that are not a chain name are a ways away.
First one is 12 miles away, the other one is 35 miles away.

I will definatly change my meat stores in the near future.:thumb:

In California, Kroger goes by the names of:
Ralphs
Quick Stop
Food 4 Less
Foods Co.
Bell Markests
Cala Foods
Fry's

And maybe other names as well.

I haven't seen 73-27 before. Have the usual 93/7, 90/10, 85/15 and 80/20. I shop at Lowes Foods or Piggly Wiggly.

I think Mr. Big might be right, the new food label laws might not allow rounding or something, hence the stupidly precise wording.

We were just in Kroger and I checked. The family packs of the 80/20 chuck were $2.69/lb. 85/15 ground round was a little higher but I forget the exact price.

Might have something to do with the nutritional labels coming out.

It shouldn't. The science is decades old, and not any real burden. 80/20 chuck is 80/20 chuck, and 90/10 sirloin is 90/10 sirloin. Nutritional values are pretty consistent, unless a processor is making ground beef from random cuts, AKA ground scraps.

CD

Back