MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #1
Barrister69
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Bobby
Default Do you Green Eggers Use That Exclusively?

I used a Weber kettle only for years, but got a BGE last year and love it. BUT, I am thinking I might start using my trusty old Weber for "short" cooks, like burgers or something, since they are a lot quicker.
Do any of y'all do something similar?
Thanks!
Barrister69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2021, 06:06 PM   #2
LYU370
somebody shut me the fark up.

I use my gasser if I get lazy.

FEC100 - Big Joe - Weber Spirit II Gasser

Are you ready for a THROWDOWN?!?!? Join us, It's a BLAST!!

Join us for the Inaugural 2024 South East Bash - May 2024 Tennessee - Sign Up Link
LYU370 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #3
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

Egg or griddle. I'm trying really hard to be a minimalist, but I'm sure if the right pizza oven came along, it could catch my eye.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2021, 07:36 PM   #4
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

BGEs have their place.I have a couple and a few Webers.Weber’s hands down make better chicken in my opinion.My favorite is my Shirley but it is easier to fire the Weber for a few chickens than the Shirley.Like I said BGEs have their place but in the end,they are just another cooker.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2021, 07:38 PM   #5
onemanlan
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Taylor

I use my Weber on a Green Egg grilling mat lol. It was the the best mat I could find locally.

I support changing it up when it makes the job easier on you!

Old 02-26-2021, 05:31 AM   #6
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

I have a Lg BGE and as much as we love it to be honest I don't really use it to even justify having it anymore.
My daughters boyfriend wants it so once he gets back from his tour over seas in the Marines I plan on giving it to him and my daughter.
As they are talking about getting married after she graduates college next year and gets a job established.

Im like LYU370 I use my gasser often as my youngest daughter plays so many sports and we get home late or work late anymore it seems like.

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #7
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

Not a BGE owner but my Goldens' kamado doesn't get used exclusively. For small cooks I often use the 18" Weber. The Blackstone gets a lot of use as well, all depends on what I'm making.

Old 02-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #8
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I love my Large BGE and enjoy using it Use my gasser on weekdays
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2021, 06:58 AM   #9
16Adams

Former BGE-Mini owner. Fantastic cooker that got caught up in a herd thinning. Quality kick arse steak sausage cooking machine. I can think of 6 friends/family with large or x-large BGE’s. Three have Top of line Traeger Pellet And no longer smoke in BGE. 4 have gassers and say they grill on those way more than BGE. I know three belong to those mail order supper clubs. All of them eat out way more than they cook at home. That said I think BGE’s are awesome cookers, but owners I know don’t use them enough IMHO

Old 02-26-2021, 09:31 AM   #10
legendaryhog
is One Chatty Farker

The BGE has it's place. It is a great kamado. My main complaint about it is ash removal. It's kind of a pain. I've been cooking on an Acorn lately and I may like it better (however I have not done a long cook on it, like overnight). The best thing about the egg is that you can get it up to temp and it will hold all night long so you can sleep. You also can get that thing super hot for baking, pizza, etc.

If I'm just grilling, it's hard to for me to get motivation to not use my DCS. I ran natural gas line to it and it's just too convenient vs firing up a smoker.

some say he's dead...some say he never will be.
legendaryhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2021, 10:10 AM   #11
frognot

Name/Nickname : Charles

Once I got a BGE my WSM and weber kettle seldom got used.

In fact, gave my WSM to my son. Haven't used my kettle in years. Last time was a cooking a lotta burgers so used both.

Mostly just cook for two and grill more than I smoke.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2021, 10:16 AM   #12
Gutter Runner
Found some matches.

I use my XL BGE exclusively, but I'm in the market for a Weber gasser to make things easier. Hard to justify firing up the egg to flip a couple burgers or italian sausages.
Gutter Runner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2021, 10:51 AM   #13
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

When I had my egg I pretty much only used it for butts and ribs. All the grilling was done on the kettle.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:33 PM   #14
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

BGE was all I used for 15+ years. It's really a great all-arounder. Can be up and cooking in less than 15 min, holds consistent temps forever, uses barely any fuel and takes 5 minutes to clean. I would say it's a jack of all trades but master of none.

The first step in my BGEs demise was the flat top griddle. That took away a lot of the shorter cooks from the BGE. The final nail was the offset. Now I cook 85% on the offset/firebox and 15% on the flattop.

This week officially marks one year since I've fired up the BGE. I don't use it anymore but am not ready to part with the gal. A lot of good food came off that cooker.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:41 PM   #15
thirdeye

I'm a long time Egger and have a small and a large. Eggs are all about your style and options/accessories for cooking. My LBGE is my all season cooker because I live in the snow belt.

I hardly ever use the grate in the standard position on the fire ring, I like raised direct grilling, raised but slightly indirect, or full indirect with the plate setter. My main accessory is a grate extender that was called a "Sandbagger Ring" when in prototype form, and is now sold as a Woo Ring at the Ceramic Grill Store. On my indirect and overnight cooks I use a plate setter legs up, and when baking something like a pan of enchiladas or a lasagna I use the plate setter legs down, with the green feet for an air space. Mrs ~t~ blind bakes pizza crusts, so I bake them using the grate extender only or plate setter if the pie has more toppings. I also have a grill grate sized for the SBGE, but it works on the LBGE too. It has a ribbed side or a flat side.

My SMGE is really my grilling and open top skewer machine. I have a grate extender ring for it as well. The GrillGrate ↑↑↑ will fit too. I modified the charcoal grate so it comes up to temp really fast, and can get super hot, but I keep it in the 400° 500° range max.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote