Do you Green Eggers Use That Exclusively?

Barrister69

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I used a Weber kettle only for years, but got a BGE last year and love it. BUT, I am thinking I might start using my trusty old Weber for "short" cooks, like burgers or something, since they are a lot quicker.
Do any of y'all do something similar?
Thanks!

Egg or griddle. I'm trying really hard to be a minimalist, but I'm sure if the right pizza oven came along, it could catch my eye.

BGEs have their place.I have a couple and a few Webers.Weber’s hands down make better chicken in my opinion.My favorite is my Shirley but it is easier to fire the Weber for a few chickens than the Shirley.Like I said BGEs have their place but in the end,they are just another cooker.

I use my Weber on a Green Egg grilling mat lol. It was the the best mat I could find locally.

I support changing it up when it makes the job easier on you!

I have a Lg BGE and as much as we love it to be honest I don't really use it to even justify having it anymore.
My daughters boyfriend wants it so once he gets back from his tour over seas in the Marines I plan on giving it to him and my daughter.
As they are talking about getting married after she graduates college next year and gets a job established.

Im like LYU370 I use my gasser often as my youngest daughter plays so many sports and we get home late or work late anymore it seems like.

Not a BGE owner but my Goldens' kamado doesn't get used exclusively. For small cooks I often use the 18" Weber. The Blackstone gets a lot of use as well, all depends on what I'm making.

Former BGE-Mini owner. Fantastic cooker that got caught up in a herd thinning. Quality kick arse steak sausage cooking machine. I can think of 6 friends/family with large or x-large BGE’s. Three have Top of line Traeger Pellet And no longer smoke in BGE. 4 have gassers and say they grill on those way more than BGE. I know three belong to those mail order supper clubs. All of them eat out way more than they cook at home. That said I think BGE’s are awesome cookers, but owners I know don’t use them enough IMHO

The BGE has it's place. It is a great kamado. My main complaint about it is ash removal. It's kind of a pain. I've been cooking on an Acorn lately and I may like it better (however I have not done a long cook on it, like overnight). The best thing about the egg is that you can get it up to temp and it will hold all night long so you can sleep. You also can get that thing super hot for baking, pizza, etc.

If I'm just grilling, it's hard to for me to get motivation to not use my DCS. I ran natural gas line to it and it's just too convenient vs firing up a smoker.

Once I got a BGE my WSM and weber kettle seldom got used.

In fact, gave my WSM to my son. Haven't used my kettle in years. Last time was a cooking a lotta burgers so used both.

Mostly just cook for two and grill more than I smoke.

I use my XL BGE exclusively, but I'm in the market for a Weber gasser to make things easier. Hard to justify firing up the egg to flip a couple burgers or italian sausages.

When I had my egg I pretty much only used it for butts and ribs. All the grilling was done on the kettle.

BGE was all I used for 15+ years. It's really a great all-arounder. Can be up and cooking in less than 15 min, holds consistent temps forever, uses barely any fuel and takes 5 minutes to clean. I would say it's a jack of all trades but master of none.

The first step in my BGEs demise was the flat top griddle. That took away a lot of the shorter cooks from the BGE. The final nail was the offset. Now I cook 85% on the offset/firebox and 15% on the flattop.

This week officially marks one year since I've fired up the BGE. I don't use it anymore but am not ready to part with the gal. A lot of good food came off that cooker.

I'm a long time Egger and have a small and a large. Eggs are all about your style and options/accessories for cooking. My LBGE is my all season cooker because I live in the snow belt.
gMw9A2t.jpg

I hardly ever use the grate in the standard position on the fire ring, I like raised direct grilling, raised but slightly indirect, or full indirect with the plate setter. My main accessory is a grate extender that was called a "Sandbagger Ring" when in prototype form, and is now sold as a Woo Ring at the Ceramic Grill Store. On my indirect and overnight cooks I use a plate setter legs up, and when baking something like a pan of enchiladas or a lasagna I use the plate setter legs down, with the green feet for an air space. Mrs ~t~ blind bakes pizza crusts, so I bake them using the grate extender only or plate setter if the pie has more toppings. I also have a grill grate sized for the SBGE, but it works on the LBGE too. It has a ribbed side or a flat side.

BRtPyC3.jpg

My SMGE is really my grilling and open top skewer machine. I have a grate extender ring for it as well. The GrillGrate ↑↑↑ will fit too. I modified the charcoal grate so it comes up to temp really fast, and can get super hot, but I keep it in the 400° 500° range max.

rU8pSae.jpg

xFMQNcz.jpg

I'll be using my Egg this evening for some leg quarters and my cabinet smoker tomorrow for some ribs. Can't remember the last time I used my Weber.

I use my BGE a lot. It's a great cooker.

My Weber kettle still sees a lot of action as my wing cooker using the Vortex. It's just killer with wings. I also use the Roti on it.

Last edited:
I have used my egg as the go-to option for 20 years. As others have said I find it fires quickly and is very versatile. It uses so little fuel I find it more practical than the Weber for small cooks. I do like my gasser better for chicken since it crisps the skin better. Over the last few years though I’ve grown tired of the taste the egg produces on long smokes like butts or shoulders. It just tastes more like charcoal than wood to me. That has led me to get in line for a Shirley patio model. I just want to try a stick burner. I’m sure I’ll still use the egg for anything other than long cooks.

I have a Kamodo Joe Big Joe that I only use now if I am cooking pizza or more than 3 rib eyes at the same time. I have other pits that cook anything else better than the ceramic Kamado will.

I have used my egg as the go-to option for 20 years. As others have said I find it fires quickly and is very versatile. It uses so little fuel I find it more practical than the Weber for small cooks. I do like my gasser better for chicken since it crisps the skin better. Over the last few years though I’ve grown tired of the taste the egg produces on long smokes like butts or shoulders. It just tastes more like charcoal than wood to me. That has led me to get in line for a Shirley patio model. I just want to try a stick burner. I’m sure I’ll still use the egg for anything other than long cooks.

Ahhh, flavor is a whole different thread. My Eggs are Y2K vintage too. Ceramic cookers are very consistent, (they are an oven too) but there are other flavor options. I bought a drum in '05 and I immediately had a major flash back to the wood fired pit flavor. In a side-by-side, I can pick out the drum flavor over the Egg flavor every time. So, I select cookers wisely.

Back