Meatloaf suggestions

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
For tonight's Sunday dinner I'm making smoked meatloaf. For me its usually something I just throw together with things on hand but today I'm looking for ideas

Everyone does it different, let's hear how you do yours.

Sautéed onion, bell pepper and celery. BBQ seasoning, egg, Ritz crackers and BBQ sauce mixed together formed into a loaf and smoked at 275 till done. Last 30 minutes or so baste with sauce to form more crust..

I sort of do the same thing. Whatever I have, is what I use. Always an onion & garlic, peppers if I have them, sometimes a little shredded carrot. Cheese is a good addition and hatch chile's if you have them are great. Different rubs, different BBQ sauces to mix things up.

I tried using oatmeal for the filler/binder ingredient the last time, and it came out great. I didn't grind the oatmeal in a coffee grinder, as suggested. Still couldn't even tell it was in there.

Last edited:
I use a slightly modified version of the oven recipe in the book Nourishing Traditions. Sauteed onion, celery, jalapeno, and garlic. Mix with 4# ground beef, sea salt, black pepper, dried thyme, dried red chile flakes, couple eggs, and bread crumbs soaked in a little cream.

Make it in a free form loaf on a double layer of heavy duty foil with the edges curled up to prevent fat from dripping in the smoker. Not a fan of ketchup or BBQ glazes so I skip that part. Cherry in the smoker.

I mix chorizo in with the beef, then use some signature Mexican spices, fresh onion, garlic, peppers, (sometimes some cream corn), panko for binder, maybe a couple of tablespoons of salsa.... then top with some peppered bacon.

G72HFOz.jpg

The slices are served with some queso sauce, which is basically a queso dip that is thinned out a hair.

RBAfYPB.jpg

Your favorite cheese and thawed frozen spinach wrapped up in the middle of your meat, I like Mozzerela , cook or smoke as normal

I've been playing Dr. Frankenstein on my version of an Italian inspired meatloaf lately... Here are the ingredients:

5 pounds ground chuck
3 pounds spicy Italian sausage
1/2 pound diced pepperoni
2 large sweet onions diced and sweated till soft
1 red and 1 green pepper diced and sweated till soft
1 pkg McCormick garlic/peppercorn mix
1 pkg McCormick wine/herb/garlic mix
S&P and ground red pepper to taste
8 eggs
Worcestershire sauce to taste
Chit load of minced garlic to taste
2 small cans chopped black olives
2 small cans chopped shrooms
3 cups panko bread crumbs
3 cups mixed cheese blend
1-1/2 cup marinara sauce

Mixed all together, free formed in the shape of a huge fatty on some heavy duty foil or sheet pan and smoked @ 250-275 for +/- 2 hours.

I know it sounds kinda funky but it sure is tasty... :hungry:

all suggestions taken into account.

it appears :becky: has decided to make the loaf, something about you've been watching football at the bar all day. I dunno I wasn't listening. I will throw it on the pit boss when I get home, free form was my only prerequisite besides smoking.

pics to follow

If you're going to make a meatloaf, stuff it.

While back I had 2lbs of pork, 3lbs of beef. mix with egg and crushed tortilla chips (didnt have any other binder). Put a layer in a springform pan and up the sides. I layered previously cooked and defrosted pulled pork, and cheese. cap it, and cook! Next time, there will be bacon on it

20191025_160109-jpg.1960637

20191025_183819-jpg.1960638

20 years ago we got a better homes and gardens red and white cookbook. I think it is buried in the garage but the recipe is simple. Here is an ish recipe

Half beef and pork
Whole finely chopped onion
Bread cubes soaked in milk
An egg or two
Mustard
Lots of garlic
Worchestirshire
Salt Pepper
Sage
(If I can get away with it, I will shake in some red pepper flake or cayenne pepper)

Smoked and topped with some simple tangy and sweet sauce made with Ketchup, brown sugar and vingar...oh baby!! My favorite.

2 lbs ground chuck,1 lb ground pork,1 medium onion and a bell pepper,red,yellow,orange or green,clove of smushed garlic sautéed until soft,seasonings that you like,1 long sleeve Ritz crackers,1 egg.Mix throughly,form loaf,NO PAN.Smoke indirect at 250-275f til interior tests(I pull at 155f) 165f.Put it in the fridge and make leftover meatloaf sandwiches the next day with horseradish and copious amounts of Duke's mayo on toasted Texas Toast.Cheese is a nice option too.

Just discovered this from a July 2018 post... Maybe it'll help or give you some ideas.

This is from CINCHOUSE dictating from the living room:

- Froze 3 slices of thick cut bacon - whizzed in the food processor.
- Added this to 1lb of ground beef and 1 egg.
- Sprinkled in freeze-dried minced onion, freshly minced garlic, W-shire, Ketchup, rolled oats, S & P, and a 3oz (of a 4oz package) of Bleu Cheese crumbles.
- Mixed all this together, and put in a small aluminum bread loaf pan (with some holes poked through the bottom). Last 1oz of bleu cheese went in over the top of the meatloaf.
- Foiled over the top of the pan.
- Cooked this in the kettle over the Vortex until about 160F, then pulled off the foil top for about 10-15 minutes.
- Rested for about 15-20 minutes before we sliced it up.

It was RIDICULOUS.

Hope that's helpful.

Onion, garlic, chili's or sambal, soy or sweet soy.

Nasi goreng mix if I can find it / have it in stock

Bread crumbs and egg optional, but most of the time

Back