MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:04 AM   #136
ShencoSmoke
is One Chatty Farker

And congrats to all the MABA teams- the mid atlantic is very well represented!
ShencoSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 08:08 AM   #137
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

For those that have never been to the Jack, today is a good day to start looking for a hotel;)

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #138
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
Congrats to everyone that got in!

Condolences for Stubborn Bull that didn't find out until after the draw that the contest organizer for their GC in MA failed to submit a proclamation, turning their 50/50 shot into an auto for someone else. I really never understood the whole proclamation thing. Other than giving you a chance to lose out on The Jack because someone else didn't do the paperwork, what purpose does it serve?
In Texas it reduces the number of qualifiers, quite a bit. The best estimate I've heard is that there are approximately 75 qualifiers each year. Very few of those have a proclamation, just 50 teams. More contests here are starting to take the time to get the paper, which in turn will increase the number of qualifiers. If you are not from Texas (home state) or in the Texas draw it makes no difference to you, unless you are in the Wildcard draw.

The Royal no longer uses proclamations, so I wouldn't be surprised if The Jack followed suit.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:23 AM   #139
JD McGee

Rhana and I are thrilled to be heading back to the Jack! Congrats to our fellow PNWBA teams...Movin' The Chains (Oregon), Ice Harbor Brewing (from Washington but won the Idaho auto), Prairie Smoke & Spice (Canada), House of Q (Canada), and all our Brethren Brothers and Sisters who got the invitation...let the good times roll!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-05-2014, 11:31 AM   #140
Jorge

The draw was good to Texas teams that didn't earn the auto. I'm packing the barn boots, but hope we don't need them. There are a lot of friends on that list that I'm looking forward to seeing, and some that aren't on there that I'll miss.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #141
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

How does the state draw work? Palmetto Smokehouse (who's a friend) told me he got an auto for SC because of his win last weekend in Charleston because he was the only team from SC to win a grand at a qualifier. But I see his name down for GA.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #142
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
How does the state draw work? Palmetto Smokehouse (who's a friend) told me he got an auto for SC because of his win last weekend in Charleston because he was the only team from SC to win a grand at a qualifier. But I see his name down for GA.
It's The Jack. You don't question good fortune.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-05-2014, 02:32 PM   #143
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
It's The Jack. You don't question good fortune.
I just feel bad for all the GA teams that missed out. I'm happy for him!
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-05-2014, 03:08 PM   #144
Jorge

Quote:
I just feel bad for all the GA teams that missed out. I'm happy for him!
In all seriousness, without knowing the facts it's hard to guess. Following the draw is more complicated than the NCAA basketball tournament selection process.

On the other side of the coin, anybody making the trip for the first time needs to get on the phone and make reservations for Ms. Mary Bobo's. $23 a head, family style, and some of the best southern style food you'll have in your life. Texas Pepper Jelly has a table, that may or may not be filled. Any openings for the first seating on Friday will be announced here first.

EDIT: Table filled. See how that works?

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2014, 03:17 PM   #145
U2CANQUE
is One Chatty Farker

I reckon I will be driving down to visit......since Mr. Mullins will be in the happy hollar
Cleveland, Ohio

Jambo (J-3) Black on Black-with Hot Rod Flames
FEC w/ IQ4
U2CANQUE is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #146
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2CANQUE View Post
I reckon I will be driving down to visit......since Mr. Mullins will be in the happy hollar
If work goes as expected for Michelle, there is likely to be seat available for lunch and a room that won't get much use in Tullahoma. Call me brother.

EDIT: For those that have never been to The Jack, this is me recruiting a blocker for turnins.

Shut up, and cook!!!!

Old 09-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #147
Funtimebbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Only a guess on my part but I think there is a random draw for the order in which each state's GCs are drawn. The draw for GA must have gone before SC and Palmetto Smokehouse was selected from that pool of GCs. The home state draws only occurs after all the draws have taken place and no team from that state was selected. Palmetto Smokehouse got through via GA and therefore a SC state draw did not take place.
Funtimebbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2014, 01:00 PM   #148
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Honored to be representing the great state of Kentucky at the JACK. Anyone have advice/tips for a first timer?
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2014, 07:29 PM   #149
mikerobes
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
Honored to be representing the great state of Kentucky at the JACK. Anyone have advice/tips for a first timer?
Congratulations Tom
We were fortunate to get a draw last year , so I will pass on advice that I was given, and it was good IMO. You will be receiving an order form for souvenirs from the barrel store, order ahead of time and it will save you time,they will have everything ready for you. We bought a barrel top with our team name and hometown on it,you will want to get that ordered early.if you want a refinished barrel,order that ahead too, these are in limited supply. Place an order with western wood,you will get an email on this too.they will deliver your compliment of free wood to you, good stuff.Buy a small trinket with your team name to hand out to all the teams , and the parade, we did koozies with our logo. Get reservations at Miss Mary Bobo's and rooms ASAP . Many rooms will open up now, as many reserve and then cancel if they didn't make it. Have fun, I know you will

Southern Q Gravity Limo Cooker
Southern Q 500 Water Cooker

Sometimes It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission

I like to sit down and have a quiet beer, then several noisy ones
mikerobes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #150
BMerrill
Full Fledged Farker

Advice.
Prepare for wet, muddy and cold.
Bring power.
Most spaces are tight, so if you can, arrive early.
Take the tour at the Jack, just don't kick the safe in Jaspers old office.
Being the flag of your state for the parade and to display at your team site.
After the parade the teams are taken to BBQ hill on Friday night for a feast and Jack.
Jack= the local product.
Per order aprons, shirts, team banner, etc. including a barrel head, bring several sharpie markers.
You take the barrel head around for teams to sign, but save a spot in the center for the Master Distiller, Jeff Arnett, to sign.
Eat at Ms. Mary Bobo's, but you must make reservations NOW! Save room for the apples and ask for extra local product on them. Aka drunken apples.
Lynchburg is located in the wettest dry county in the world. BYOB
You can buy collector bottles of Jack inside the distillery at the White Rabbit, one of these is the BBQ bottle. Ie a 1L bottle of Gentlemen Jack with the BBQ logo engraved. You can also purchase your own barrel full of Jack. If you do, remember me.
Remember 7. Seven pieces are required in each box. I don't remember if both white and dark meat are required, so check your info as soon as possible.
There are several anything butt categories, each requires Jack, but don't fret, they give you a bottle of the local product (just remember to save some).
Consuming the local product is required, not optional.
I don't know what it is about drinking the local product in the shadows of the distillery, but it's seems to taste just a bit better if that seems possible.
"Everyday we make it, we make it the best we can"

Last edited by BMerrill; 09-08-2014 at 08:30 PM..
BMerrill is offline   Reply With Quote