• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Italian Fatty with basket weave bacon wrap - step by step tutorial

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anything Italian needs some garlic, so the first thing I did was fire up the BGE and roast some garlic. This is done by cutting off the tops on a head of garlic, pouring in some olive oil and getting them on the cooker at about 400 degrees for a half hour.

IMG_2398.jpg

IMG_2402.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

While the garlic was roasting, I started the construction. I laid out 9 strips of bacon and folded up piece number 2,4,6 and 8 then laid a piece across the middle.

IMG_2408.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

Next, I folded down 2,4,6 and 8 and folded up 1,3,5,7 and 9, laid another piece across, folded those down and folded up 2,4,6 and 8 again. And so on and so on until I reached the bottom.

IMG_2410.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

When I got to the bottom, I started in the middle again and worked my way up until the weave was complete.

IMG_2412.jpg

Next, I cut open a pound of hot Italian sausage and put it in a 1 gallon Ziploc bag, flattened it out until I had even thickness all around then cut open the bag and place the sausage on top of the basket weave.

IMG_2406.jpg

IMG_2407.jpg

IMG_2413.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

Next, I went outside and got the garlic off the BGE and lowered the temp to 250. I came inside and spread the garlic on the sausage, added some roasted peppers (jar variety this time), provolone cheese, spinach (so I could tell the wife it was health food) and some fresh ground black pepper.

IMG_2416.jpg

IMG_2417.jpg

IMG_2419.jpg

IMG_2420.jpg

Rolled it to the left.

IMG_2421.jpg

Then rolled to the right.

IMG_2422.jpg

Now I had an Italian Fatty ready for the smoker.

IMG_2424.jpg

I hit it with a little rub and put it on the Egg along with a few chicken thighs for about 2 hours.

IMG_2428.jpg

And here's how it turned out.

IMG_2430.jpg

IMG_2442.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2453.jpg

IMG_2456.jpg

Delicious! :thumb:

thanks for the tutorial...I was wondering how to do the bacon weave.

david

Very nice! To have that much stuff in a fatty and have no leaks demonstrates you are a fatty rolling expert. Great job!

Thanks for taking time to take awsome pics and post with a tutorial. That is a must try for me.:clap2:

Back