THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DJ321

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
DJ
Hello Brethren,

I could use some WSM advice. i'm a new WSM owner and have done 3 cooks so far. 2 of those cooks have been St. Louis cut ribs, and the ribs have come out with a slightly over smoked taste.

I've been using lump charcoal (1st cook royal oak, 2nd cook Cowboy lump) with 4 chunks of hickory, running temps at around 250 and letting the white smoke clear out before adding the ribs, yet still have a slightly acrid taste.

In order to keep the temp around 250 I have to close 2 of the bottom vents and keep the 3rd barely cracked open.

Am I choking it off too much?

Should I use charcoal instead of lump?

I know there are a lot of WSM owners here. Any advice is much appreciated.

Cheers!

I used to have a WSM. I always used briquets and not lump so not sure about that. 4 chunks of hickory sounds like a lot though. I'd try 2-3 pieces no bigger than your fist or maybe mix the hickory with a milder wood like oak or a fruit wood.

Are you filling the water pan? With plenty of water in the pan it should help keep the temps down and allow you to open the intakes a bit more, always leave the exhaust all the way open

It's not the charcoal...its the Hickory. Hickory is a very strong wood...I rarely use it. I recomend pecan,cherry or apple...or combo. I prefer the taste of lump over briquets..could be in my head...because I have used both and always happy.

I use blue bag Kingsford in mine, and I use 2/3 apple 1/3 cherry, or sugar maple. Just about 2 chunks total. Comes out perfect.

I like hickory, but not that much. You could try some maple, oak, cherry, apple ... (mesquite is stronger yet.) I use briquettes in my WSMs (except for the 14" which seems to do better with lump.)

You can't really choke a new WSM down too much. Before it is seasoned, it may hold temperature even with all vents closed. Once it builds up a layer of grease, it will seal better.

I always leave the lid vent wide open on mine and close down the bottom vents if necessary to control temperature.

Maybe if you have to close the vents that much, you are starting with too big of a fire. When I use the Minion Method, I don't have to make any adjustments until at least a hour and a half in. Also seems like I usually end up with all 3 half to 2/3 close but never completely closed.

Maybe if you have to close the vents that much, you are starting with too big of a fire. ...

It's a new WSM. They can be a little loose. When mine was new, I could close all of the vents and it would just keep rolling. If it gets hot enough, it will start to draft and you can't shut it down. Once he's got a few cooks on it, it will be easier to control. Maybe your WSM sealed better from the factory.

Were the chunks well seasoned? Green hickory is very strong; seasoned hickory has a much more pleasant smell and taste, at least to my nose/tongue. Four fist-sized chunks of properly seasoned hickory should not be too much.

There's a learning curve to be traveled, and you'll eventually arrive at how big a starter fire to dump into the WSM for your targeted temp, and how to adjust the vents. Leaving 2 closed and the 3rd cracked is not unusual, and likely didn't contribute to the over-smoke. And I say with authoritah! that the lump didn't cause it either. Lump is cleaner than briqs. :behindsofa:

As said by others, cut down on the hickory. Try a cook with just one chunk, log the results, adjust accordingly, etc. :thumb:

Lump charcoal shouldn’t be the problem. Could be too much hickory. 2-3 fist chunks is plenty when using fruit woods.

If it is new then that could be why it is running hot. It will eventually settle in and not run as hot after several cooks.

Try closing down the vents ahead of your desired cook temp earlier than you have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smoldering Lump from closing down intakes to keep temp down therefore choking the fire is Most likely the problem.......

Try another cook -do everything EXACTLY the same except for no wood chunks and see if it’s better or not.

Back