BBQ Brethren Throwdown - "Pizza"

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This weeks category is...

[SIZE=+2]"Pizza"[/SIZE]
Opening_Post_Photo.jpg

photo courtesy of Rick's Tropical Delight

This weeks rules are slightly different!!! Here are the rules...

1) The Pizza must either be cooked with a wood or charcoal fire...
*** OR ***
The pizza can be oven baked *IF* it features ingredients that were grilled or smoked *AND* you provide photos of those items being prepared.
2) It has to be cooked during the current throwdown week ( 2/16 - 2/22 ).
3) All pics (any number) must be submitted by 9pm Central on 2/23.
4) Only one pic will be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise I will choose.

The voting will begin by Tuesday 2/24 after I submit the "Vote" thread and voting will close on Sunday 3/1.

Next weeks category will be detemined by the winner of the "Fatty" throwdown Saucy Wench!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!:cool:

So this is my second attempt at pizza, my first attempt at a throwdown. One of those things, even if I don't win so worth it just to eat the pizza.:p:p:p First pic is the chicken on the grill. This is my teriyaki chicken, pineapple and pepperoni pizza with alfredo sauce.
bbq038.jpg

bbq039.jpg

Nice pizza Jack. Did you send any home with Tim for me??? Hey, I was lookin' at your avatar, I'll bet that kid got his looks from his grandpa:rolleyes:

Actually I think that his looks come from his dad, his thin hair is from his grandpa...:eek:

Throwdown Entry

With a mix of Stubbs 100% and Cowboy lump ,350 Degrees for 15 min. Lightly sauced, grilled italian sausage,button and baby bello shrums,grilled asparagus,green and red peppers ,mozzerella,asiago, and parmesian cheeses.

Last edited:
I'm excited - this will be my first throwdown! I'm in.

I'm thinking about entering this one too, but my pizza dough forming is not very picture worthy. Oh well, worth a try!:biggrin:

great stuff !!
making pizza on the egg this weekend so hopefully one will be worthy of showing off on here!!

Throwdown entry - Deep dish

The fresh ingredients:

Pizza1.jpg

The crust (yes that's the bottom of a clay pot)

Pizza2.jpg

Pre-baked the crust and seasoned:

Pizza3.jpg

Sauce

Pizza4.jpg

Pepperoni

Pizza5.jpg

Veggies

Pizza6.jpg

Spinach

Pizza7.jpg

Cheese

Pizza8.jpg

Into the Cimmaron for 25 minutes (outside temperature was 15 degrees)

Pizza9.jpg

Enjoy (moderator, please use this photo for the throwdown)

Pizza10.jpg

Wow! Fweck's not messing around here...thatthing looks farking insane. That's gonna be one tough pie to beat.
Love the idea of using the bottom of a clay pot for the pan...no peel.

Wow! Fweck's not messing around here...thatthing looks farking insane. That's gonna be one tough pie to beat.
Love the idea of using the bottom of a clay pot for the pan...no peel.

You're right. that is going to be hard to beat. But, we haven't seen Rick's entry yet. I have the inlaws coming over this weekend, so I doubt I'll have time to get an entry together.

That is one fine looking pizza there...beautiful pics, too!

Nice looking pie there Fweck.

Can you tell us about the crust recipe. Doesn't look like there is any yeast in it? It seems more manageable than my crusts -- more like pie dough. How did you keep it from sticking to the clay?

Fark me that deep dish looks tasty! I've never grilled pizza before so I'm watching some Jamie Purviance video on grilling pizza! Just gotta figure out how to do it in the OTG

Its two packages of the Betty Crocker pizza crust. After mixing you let it rest for ten minutes in a warm spot (not on the stove that's preheating, learned the hard way), then I drizzle it with a little bit of olive oil while it's still in a ball before spreading it. I then prick it with a fork to keep it from making any huge bubbles before pre-baking it. I usually use garlic infused oil but ran out, so I used a little of the garlic powder instead. The clay pot needs to be seasoned first like a iron skillet, and probably kept in a plastic bag to keep the clay from picking up any odors. After the leftovers were put away I put it back in the smoker to re-season it.

Thanks for the info on the crust. I didn't know Betty had a pizza crust. Gonna look next time I am at the store.

So who is gonna give RTD a run for his pizza this week????
Should be good pron.

Grilled Apple Pizza Pie

I wanted to try a new crust before this weekend. So I made a trial run, and made a grilled apple pizza pie with cinnamon, ground cloves and a homemade apple glaze.
IMG_1906-1.jpg

IMG_1924.jpg

Back