• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Got a truck load of pine for the smoker, and a few briskets. Thoughts?

Bob in St. Louis

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
OK, so I'm sitting here bored and the though about using pine popped in my head. Why would you do such a dumb thing?
But then again, aren't there areas in the world that only have pine/evergreens, and don't they use that wood to cook with.

Just curious.

Bored??????

Read Killing Kennedy, Lincoln or Jesus. But don't burn evergreen in your cooker. Never , ever.

Alder wood and beech wood chips

From germanfoods.org

"Black Forest ham is as important to Germans as Parma ham is to Italians. And these two specialities are also equally popular out*side their native countries. Black Forest ham comes from Baden- WĂĽrttemberg and owes its unmistakable smoky flavour and typical dark red appearance with the outer layer of fat to the fact that the ham is deboned before it is cured and then smoked over pine wood."

http://www.germanfoods.org/consumer/facts/guidetoham.cfm

I'm certainaly not advocating the use of pine for smoking. Just bringing up some places that apparently do so.

"Australian pine" is used for smoking but I don't think it is the type of pine about which you are speculating.

"Australian Pine" (Casuarina equisetifolia) is not a pine tree. It is more closely related to oak trees. Regular pine will really add a nasty taste and nasty smell to your smoker for a long time.

Nothing wrong with using pine but you'll need 4X as much as you do hard wood as it burns fast but it does have a free bonus it adds a nice turpentine flavor from all the pine resin that will cling to your food.
If you pre burn it and use the embers or make lump with it it's fine.

Back