• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First fire for the shirley.

Av8er

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I just cleaned my shirley and started a fire to dry her out. First off, this thing is a beast and heavy. I should have gotten the trailer dolly as well. Any way, on to my question; when I am wanting to smoke using the main chamber, and the warmer I would assume I open the baffle from the main chamber, close the cabinet stack and open the stack from the warmer. Is that right? This is my first warmer. Also on my Lang I would run with everything wide open. Do you run the intake wide open as well with the Shirley?

Attachments

• A4FA4F01-49ED-4257-AE82-5B96C24173DB.jpg
    A4FA4F01-49ED-4257-AE82-5B96C24173DB.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 0DBAA02A-CCB4-4F49-95AE-6EC2388B099D.jpg
    0DBAA02A-CCB4-4F49-95AE-6EC2388B099D.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 287
Dang it!! Another sideways pic. Why does this happen posting from my phone?

I run mine WFO.

If it's dead of heat summer, I'll back it down to around halfway, though.

The first 125° is free here in the summer.

Hold your phone sideways when taking pics. That seems to work for me.

That’s what I am doing and she is chugging along.

It looks like you went with the insulated firebox? When I get mine up to temperature I have been able to hold it there using about 50% of the intake damper and small wrist sized splits, I leave it wide open and heavy on fuel for start up.

I tried a box store dolly (500lb rating), no dice the Shirley was way to heavy for it. I found 800 and 1000 pound dolly's on Ebay and Amazon, tried the 800 and it handles my big Shirley with ease the 12" tires and adjustable ball height are a big help.

SlehbhGl.jpg

I have her wide open and she is doing her thing. I might try to back it down at some point but not now. I will definitely check into one of those dollies and a wheel for the tongue. My back can’t handle it.

Ab8er your pic is sideways because you took the pic with you phone held like you would talk on it which is the wrong aspect ration for posit on the internet.

One suggestion on the smoker is play with your dampers and stacks and see how the temp change end to end and top to bottom. I have found on mine if I exhaust out the warmer while cooking in the main chamber it get better top to bottom temps.

Ab8er your pic is sideways because you took the pic with you phone held like you would talk on it which is the wrong aspect ration for posit on the internet.

One suggestion on the smoker is play with your dampers and stacks and see how the temp change end to end and top to bottom. I have found on mine if I exhaust out the warmer while cooking in the main chamber it get better top to bottom temps.

Will definitely do that! As far as he pic goes, it’s odd because I took them back to back and the phone was held sideways for each one.

Thanks for he help

Will definitely do that! As far as he pic goes, it’s odd because I took them back to back and the phone was held sideways for each one.

Thanks for he help

Well that is strange then on the pictures. Oh by the way. Nice looking rig.

Absolutely beautiful cooker! Update your signature.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

So I just cleaned my shirley and started a fire to dry her out. First off, this thing is a beast and heavy. I should have gotten the trailer dolly as well. Any way, on to my question; when I am wanting to smoke using the main chamber, and the warmer I would assume I open the baffle from the main chamber, close the cabinet stack and open the stack from the warmer. Is that right? This is my first warmer. Also on my Lang I would run with everything wide open. Do you run the intake wide open as well with the Shirley?

:clap2:. Looks amazing

You are now living the dream! Stellar! One day I hope to join the Shirley family...but for now I will enjoy your cooks. Smoke on!

Great looking cooker!

Did you edit the pictures at all on your computer? I always transfer to my laptop for posting online, I've found that the phone auto-rotates, and the laptop auto rotates. However, if I upload them it won't auto-rotate. I have to flip the picture around, then save it to get the rotation settings embedded into the upload.

Great Cooker..Welcome to the Shirley family.
Yours is bigger then mine:-o
DanB

Thanks! Bigger isn’t always better! This thing is a beast to move around. I am ordering a dolly to help move it. I already hurt my back moving it around yesterday and this morning. :(

congrats on your new Shirley cooker and the dolly is a must have and I put a ball on my mower too to move mine .

Attachments

• DSCF3373.jpg
    DSCF3373.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCF6403.jpg
    DSCF6403.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 62
Just ordered a heavy duty dolly that can also be towed by my golf cart. My back can’t wait until it arrives!

Back