MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Yardbird totals

Should I be calculating one piece of chicken per person when catering if there are multiple meats?

Without knowing who eats what this seems like the logical thing to do.

I use an electric knife to cut the leg from the thigh and I cut the breast just below the wing so each 1/2 chicken yields 4 pieces, 8 per whole bird.

Does this make sense?

Thanks.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-28-2013, 11:05 AM   #2
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Hey Wes,

I'm just posting a question, why going through all the work parting the birds??

We actually do Smoked and pulled Chicken for our events and I use skinless boneless leg meat. Ends the I like white meat vs dark meat issues. And I get a 70% yield from the raw product.

No real advice here, I take the per piece items out of play and then I figure 3 people per lb. Some will put it on a biun others on the plate.

Works for us pretty well.

Best of luck buddy

David

Toys 4 BBQ'N Competition BBQ Team
4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
FEC 100 (sold), FEC 120 (sold), FEC 240, FEC 500 (sold), PG 500
Shirley Fab 52 x 24 Patio (sold)
250 gallon trailered Moberg
toys4dlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #3
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

what is the cost of boneless leg meat? I only qtra half,as up here pulled does not go over, people like to have a ":handle" on thier chicken...with multiple meats I plan on having 1/2 pound or more of cooked meat per person..put the extra off to the side
Old 10-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by toys4dlr View Post
Hey Wes,

I'm just posting a question, why going through all the work parting the birds??

We actually do Smoked and pulled Chicken for our events and I use skinless boneless leg meat. Ends the I like white meat vs dark meat issues. And I get a 70% yield from the raw product.

No real advice here, I take the per piece items out of play and then I figure 3 people per lb. Some will put it on a biun others on the plate.

Works for us pretty well.

Best of luck buddy

David
Do you cook boneless ribs too?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke duke View Post
Do you cook boneless ribs too?
Well Luke, No I cook great ribs but I would not push those for catering too. Too high of cost for too little return. I'm in business to provide great BBQ and oh yeah, make money.

I only serve BBQ for a living, so I guess I don't know anything.

David

4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
Old 10-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #6
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Dave, Glad to hear from you, hope things are kicking in AZ, we certainly miss this time of the year there but Texas is home, so here we are.

The work at the end, with the electric knife, is like, seconds per half chicken.

There is a bit more on the front end as I remove all the ribs and the keel bone / breast bone. Something I do for IBCA ( grey area with regards to rules I know) cook offs, so again, seconds with a sharp knife.

While working with Ray Lampe this summer we actually cooked quite a few boneless thighs from Costco and folks here liked them, but when they ask me to cater here in Texas and they ask for chicken, it's going to have a handle.

Glad to see your establishment is still kicking butt and it looks like you and Karen had a good year back in competition as well.

If you get down this way, look me up.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #7
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Het Wes,

Good to hear from you, sounds like things are going well for you too. Karyn and I have been lucky that we can sneak away to do a couple comps here and there and the results have been decent.

Sounds like they like bone in and I know you got it covered. I was just posing a question, but I like leg quarters. I just don't like white meat. lol

Hope all is good and if we get out to TX I will look you up.

Wishing you the best

David

4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers
Old 10-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

David, when you say, "3 people per pound", is that cooked?

Gerry
Trailer Trash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #9
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash View Post

Gerry
Well I won't speak for Dave but, depends on the number of meats on this end. In Texas, regardless if I have one or more, I always calculate 1/3lb with brisket. And that is cooked. Girls may eat less, guys probably eat more. Running out of beef down here is grounds for hanging...

The chicken number is what I was originally asking about. Last thing I did, they said they had bird left over, but again, if that one person, say the one who signs the check, loves chicken, I have to assume 1 piece of some type per individual.

an entire breast with wing is a bunch of yardbird as is a leg quarter. This entire journey is about managing food costs IMHO. If I'm cooking too much, I'm costing myself money.
Thanks from:--->
Old 10-31-2013, 10:04 AM   #10
toys4dlr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash View Post

Gerry
Yes that is a cooked weight, but like Wes said don't run out of meat. You have to get an idea of the group. I cook a meal for our high school football team and I budget them at a little more than a 1/2 pound each.

Boneless leg meat right now is running around 1.25 or so a lb here. Leg quarters are around .89 a lb.

4x Hunsaker Drum Smokers