Stuffed Hamburgers: Innovation or Abomination?

jpalaska

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
It seems that stuffed hamburgers are becoming America's new food darling. There's no doubt that melted cheese improves so many plain foods. But is stuffing cheeses and other things inside hamburgers good cooking or fad foolishness?

Not a fad on my patio. Juicy Lucy's for life here.

Hrm, I like the smoke/fat vapor flavor absorbed by the cheese when you throw it on the burger on the covered grill -- can't help but think the cheese stuffed in the center of the burger would get any of that smoke flavor. I'll have to try it some time though.

Usually stuffed with green chile and pepper jack, then topped with cheddar or provolone and jalapeños. If I could figure out how to "top the bottom"- I would.

Usually stuffed with green chile and pepper jack, then topped with cheddar or provolone and jalapeños. If I could figure out how to "top the bottom"- I would.

Ok that sounds good.. stuffed but with cheese on top as well!

Heaven! Absolute. Burger. Heaven! :thumb:

I lean towards over rated. just down the road from one of the legendary Jucy Lucy places. I prefer the patty melts.

IMO, the biggest downfall is having to cook the internal temps so high. end up with dry patties artificially moisturized by the cheese. Maybe this place just puts too much focus on the cheese stuffed burger and forgets that a great bun and toppings can really take a burger to the next level

I lean towards over rated. just down the road from one of the legendary Jucy Lucy places. I prefer the patty melts.

IMO, the biggest downfall is having to cook the internal temps so high. end up with dry patties artificially moisturized by the cheese. Maybe this place just puts too much focus on the cheese stuffed burger and forgets that a great bun and toppings can really take a burger to the next level

At home it's the "reverse sear" stuffed juicy. Plenty of time at home to get everything to correct temp. On the road burger, no sauce of any type with xtra veggies. At some restaurants you can hamburger steak where cheese-onion and green chile are added to the meat. Lots of ways to get there. For me the one mandatory requirement for a great burger is green chile.

For me I am a fan because it makes the burger eating process much cleaner and easier

if the mushrooms and onions are inside the burger then i don't have to worry about them sliding off the bun and making a mess.

The concept of a stuffed burger has been around for a long time, but like other things, it has become a recent fad. The fad will fade, but the Juicy Lucy shall live on :-D

Those are abominations!!!!!!!

But really tasty looking ones :laugh: :hungry:

I prefer my cheese on the outside too. But anything else as stuffing is fair game. :grin:

Neither, or both. Back in the early 1960's, my mom would make little stuffed meatlaofs and giant stuffed burger patties. They were delicious then and I like them now. She rarely did cheese on the inside, as she felt it was better on the outside (she preferred two thick, hand cut slices of cheddar).

Juicy Lucy...MOINK...same concept, a cute name, and some good fun for a concept that has been around a long time. Cook what you enjoy, have fun with it.

They'll be around a long time, it isn't a fad.

on edit: I actually prefer my burgers to be medium rare and have found that to achieve that, I can't stuff them, the filling never heats up enough.

Back