If I wanted a smoker..............

K I N G P I N

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What would I get??
Something for the backyard.
Something that can stay out in the weather(garage is full)
Something around $1250.00 to $1750.00.
No need to go broke.
Want the best bang for my money
The GOSM I have is inefficient as hell in wood consumption.
Thats a factor.
I have a problem with high maintenance, IE: Wood or charcoal refillability

Go with a stick burner... I recommend a Lang 60 Patio.... $1,795 + Shipping

I'm not an expert on all the different pits out there, but the first question is what kind of capacity do you need? How many butts/ribs? Must a chuck roll fit, etc.

Looking at your low maintenance requirements, I'd say that a chest smoker (backwoods, spicewine, etc), pellet smoker (traeger, FEC, Country Smoker, etc), or gravity fed charcoal smoker (stump's) is your best bet.

Looking at cost, which you mentioned, consider shipping. Some really nice pits out there are too big and heavy to ship UPS, and freight is expensive too! My local Ace Hardware sells Traeger and my local Viking store sells Stumps. Spicewine is within driving distance, and Backwoods seem to be small enough to be shippable. Some one had a Used FEC-100 in town here for $1,800 last week I think (Gone now). Seems to fit many of your requirements if you can find one.

These are just some things to consider. As I said, not an expert enough to
give you full guidence. Some might tell you that a UDS fulfills all of your requirements *shrug*

dmp

Might I suggest a Backwoods Party? :cool:

*Disclaimer* I am an extremely happy Party owner therefore extremely biased

If you dont like tending fire all day a vertical water type smoker is right up your alley. i can load mine up with charcoal/wood chunks and let her run for 10 hours, and Im a newb with mine. The price is right in your range, and you have a dealer in your area. A cover is available, so storing in the yard is not an issue.

To be fair and balanced, there is also a WSM and spicewine cooker that would make sense for your needs. Im sure people will chime in with recommendations for all of the above.

If a 60" cooking surface is to large they also make a 48" patio for $1,295 + shipping

What would I get??
No need to go broke.
Thats a factor.

Build a drum (or 2) and go on a vacation!!! :cool:

If you are just cooking for the family and small get togethers, I look into getting a WSM. I think that dollar for dollar they are the best cookers out there. They don't cost a lot, don't require a lot of work and even when stored outside and covered, they should last quite awhile. Even if they get into bad shape, you can get a new one for about $200.

The WSM will run for long periods on one load of coals and you only need to refill the water every few hours.

My $0.02.

Here is my vote! WholeHog!!

L_Grills_whole_hog1.jpg

1320 sq.in., easily double that with second shelf. Versatile, easy, and best of all you come over to the DarkSide! :twisted:

Definitly change the wheels and for get the doors on the bottom, more of a PIA then they are worth!

I would not spend that kind of money for a backyard smoker, but that's just me. I agree with BBQ Bubba, build a couple drums and spend the saved money on something else. UDS rocks, once you figure out the temp control...

I have to say that those big $$$ smokers sure are good looking units.

Might I suggest a Backwoods Party? :cool:

*Disclaimer* I am an extremely happy Party owner therefore extremely biased

If you dont like tending fire all day a vertical water type smoker is right up your alley. i can load mine up with charcoal/wood chunks and let her run for 10 hours, and Im a newb with mine. The price is right in your range, and you have a dealer in your area. A cover is available, so storing in the yard is not an issue.

To be fair and balanced, there is also a WSM and spicewine cooker that would make sense for your needs. Im sure people will chime in with recommendations for all of the above.

Or a small Spicewine cooker. They both will burn a long time.

What would I get??
No need to go broke.
Thats a factor.
Pick a ceramic cooker that you would like...
Smoke or grill, super efficient

I have to agree with gotwood. If I could have only one cooker, it would be a ceramic. You can do low and slow and high heat grilling. Capacity is the only limiting factor, but creative stacking of extra racks can fix that. However, who can stop at one cooker. :-D

Backyard? Depends on your backyard I guess. I'd say a small spicewine, but what do I know, I'm getting my second. Temp control, style, reliability, and it's fairly small.

If you are so inclined and even if you haven't done it before - build a UDS. even if you went out and bought all the parts you'd need you're only out 120.00. Cook 4 pieces of meat on one shelf. Home use, that's all I need.
It can also double as a grill, and a smoked cookie oven(if the temp is high enough).

13 WMS in honor of sled!!! if it were me i wouldnt go all out unless i planned alot of big cooks. i have my big offset and it sits most of the time any more now that i have had my WSM for a couple of years and just built a drum. Ive had my fun playing with fire all night i like to sleep now knowing my brisket is safe and sound cuddled up inside the WSM. id go for a couple of WSMs and use the rest of the loot for beer and food.

Another vote here for a Backwoods Party...

1. They are in you price range
2. Hold Heat and Temp well (efficient)
3. Lots of space for Backyard smoking
3. Buy the cover and it can stay in your backyard

Enough said!!!

I think I would have to go WSM. It comes with a cover, cooks great unattended, and the cost is minimal.

dont you already have accsess to a Southern pride spk 500
i heard there is very little labor involved in running one of those also storage is no problem when its not yours

dont you already have access to a Southern pride spk 500
i heard there is very little labor involved in running one of those also storage is no problem when its not yours

Ah Will, this is so true.......It's just pissing me off at how much wood and work there is on my GOSM.

Your reply is the best one so far.

Back