What I did today.

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well, it was a balmy 50 degress out today with a light wind. Since it rained yesterday (Yeah!!) and they are calling for chances of rain on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I figured today would be my best chance to fire up the bandera. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking.

The goods:
DCP_4178.jpg

Brats out first:
DCP_4180.jpg

Then the pork tenderloin:
DCP_4181.jpg

And the fatties:
DCP_4184.jpg

Since I wasn't sure how the ribeye would turn out, I only put 1/3 into the smoke and sliced the rest, vacupacked them, then freezered them. Here's what came out of the smoke at 142 degrees:
DCP_4186.jpg

And then sliced:
DCP_4190.jpg

I figured that I can vacupack these cuts and then when I want a smoked steak, I can defrost and then pop them on the grill to get some heat in them as I take them to medium doneness.

All that was left was the Boston butt which spent 3 hours in the oven to conserve my low lump supply:
DCP_4193.jpg

Even with an oven finish, it spent enough time in the smoke to be very tastefull when pulled:
DCP_4194.jpg

NC, those groceries look fantastic. I bought four packages of brats yesterday with the intent of smoking them Saturday. How'd you do those?

great look'n eats - Yes, gotta love the rain when we can get it.

One question, do you always break-out a bottle of Tums when you're planning on Q-ing. You don't crush them and add it to your rub, but now that I think of it that might be a great idea :shock:

DCP_4178.jpg

I bought four packages of brats yesterday with the intent of smoking them Saturday. How'd you do those?

200-225 with sweat blue for about 45 minutes to an hour. You need to keep an eye on them as they go from darn good to burnt fairly quickly. Look for the casings to take on a reddish color and start to wrinkle. That's when I try to pull them.

One question, do you always break-out a bottle of Tums when you're planning on Q-ing.

I wondered how long it would take one of you farkers to notice them. To be honest, that bottle is over a year old. My doc put me on Nexium and I no longer need the Tums. :mrgreen: I think they can be classified as a nic-nac now since they haven't moved since I bought them.

Nice looking spread. You gonna eat all of that today?

:mrgreen:

Actually, being single, I run my smoker about once every two months or so and fill it to capacity. No sense in firing it up for a few ribs or one boston butt. And, if you notice in pictures 2 and 3, I have a way to keep them freezer burn free until they get eaten.

:mrgreen:

Actually, being single, I run my smoker about once every two months or so and fill it to capacity. No sense in firing it up for a few ribs or one boston butt. And, if you notice in pictures 2 and 3, I have a way to keep them freezer burn free until they get eaten.

Sending a bit of it to Utah would also help to keep it freezer burn free...

NC, that looks awesome, man you feeding an army? That ribeye looks delicious!

Smoked Steak… What a GREAT IDEA!!! I’m doing a good sized chicken on Sunday and now am thinking of tossing a couple of steaks on for a short time just to get some smoke into them and then I’ll toss them into the deep freeze…

Man, I do hate visiting this site first thing in the morning though… Oh well, back to my oatmeal….

Back