• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

PK Grill Question

drunkenmeatfist

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I got a new PKTX the other day and I really like it. Now I am looking into getting a charcoal basket for it. On the facebook group it seems that people are a big fan of a $100 basket from a metal fabricator. I have also seen people using the Weber baskets in there, but it looks like those would need to be bent a little to fit better. What are the PK owners here using as a charcoal basket?

I am also debating between the GrillGrates set or the SS replacement. Any advice is welcomed.

I have the PK basket. Works fine. I'm not sure why folks think it has problems. Mine has been perfect for several years.

I like the Rob Wynn baskets too, but for me they don't provide enough utility to spend $100. If I did not have a basket already I might consider it.

Before I bought the PK basket I just used a standard vegetable grilling basket and it worked pretty good too.

Rob Wynn Smoking Hot BBQ makes them / I have 1 and really like it / also the kick ash folks started making some as well

I really like that PK cooking grate he has..do you have that as well?

I bought one of the aftermarket charcoal baskets from a well-known guy on Facebook and it is very heavy duty and very well-made but...….

I have the PK Classic and the aftermarket charcoal basket is square, so it really doesn't cover the entire cooking area with coals. This may or may not be important to you but something to think about.

I would just upgrade to the stainless charcoal grate from PK and leave it at that unless you just like new toys to play with. I've never had an issue with the original PK parts, although I do use grill grates for SCA comp's.

Oh, and I like my Grill Grates as well. They get awfully dirty and are hard to clean, but you don't do it that often and they are fantastic for avoiding flareups.

That heavy duty basket from Smokin Hot was the one I was looking at. I also read that the complaint about the PK basket was that it restricted air flow too much. I was considering just buying a piece of expanded metal and forming it to my liking. However, the ability to use the Weber baskets to create an indirect area between them is also attractive. I have a couple of GrillGrate planks that I am using on it and they are making some awesome steak, but I really liked the SS grate on my Vision kamado. Lot of thinking to do on this. Thanks for the responses and keep them coming please.

I have never had a problem with air flow on my PK. It is seriously miserly on fuel, unlike my Open Range. They both have their charms.

I just have the basket , it’s built like a tank

I think I found his website, but I didn't see where I could place an order. I'm still undecided, but I do like the old saying of "buy once and shut the hell up".

I have the Smokin Hot BBQ baskets for both my classic and my 360 as well as PK's own basket. I also have a stainless steel mesh basket that Jim Jarvis on the FB group sells and it really works well and is light in weight compared to the others. All of the baskets I have, have worked well for me.

I saw the Kick Ash basket ones but passed since I already have several baskets. They seem like they would work very well too.

I also have the SS grates for my classic as well as grill grates. I would just buy the grill grates for now and when you need a replacement cooking grate, buy the SS replacements.

Back