MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #196
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
I HEREBY DEMAND A RE-VOTE

It's clear that the Russians were involved, and the results cannot be relied upon

Page 4 shows "VI" (virgin islands ???) has only 1 member, yet there were 2 voters recorded. I refuse to accept any possible explanation that a family membership will be recorded as 1 member, yet each individual under the family membership has the right to vote.

Vive La Revolucion !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well on the bright side, all 2 members from Mexico voted!

Thanks from: --->

Old 07-02-2019, 02:07 PM   #197
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
To make sure everyone gets tarred and feathered equally....;)

Take a look at the level of participation from cooks, who I agree arguably have more skin in the game.

https://mms.kcbs.us/news_archive_hea...=KCBA#21363905
I couldn't find it broken down by cooks (user error, I'm certain) and judges, but my comment was not to disparage judges. The ones that are out doing 10+ contests a year are just as invested and committed to this as the cooks.

That being said, cooks that cook a couple times a year aren't invested either. I just assume they're less likely to be members, since you aren't required to be a member to cook, but you are in order to be a CBJ.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #198
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
I couldn't find it broken down by cooks (user error, I'm certain) and judges, but my comment was not to disparage judges. The ones that are out doing 10+ contests a year are just as invested and committed to this as the cooks.

That being said, cooks that cook a couple times a year aren't invested either. I just assume they're less likely to be members, since you aren't required to be a member to cook, but you are in order to be a CBJ.
All fair points. Apparently the link I posted, to the recent survey results, doesn't load that page if you aren't logged in. The results of the judge seating survey indicate that cooks participated to a lesser degree than judges.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #199
Bob in Corona
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Quote:

Just a quick fyi... I joined KCBS in 2010 as a member only. That's right... neither a cook nor a cbj! Took the cbj class first quarter of 2013.

Also, many cooks around here have taken the cbj class, but don't actively judge !!! They are considered CBJs !!!

Old 07-03-2019, 02:14 PM   #200
Jousting Pigs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Big John

Quick notes posted

https://kcbs.us/news_manager.php?page=17485
Jousting Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2019, 11:40 AM   #201
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Search committee and employment agreement...does that mean Heath is out? *please say no*

Old 07-05-2019, 11:43 AM   #202
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Search committee and employment agreement...does that mean Heath is out? *please say no*
Note Heath was NOT on the role call
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2019, 03:36 PM   #203
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Note Heath was NOT on the role call
I said say no!

Old 07-06-2019, 11:26 AM   #204
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

The current board ran on transparency. Where is an announcement why is everything in closed session and what is the special search committee? Is This current board is shrouded in secrecy and closed door action? Where is the transparency? Where is the communication? Where is the plan to fix the judge education system? After 10 years, I am already on the fence if I want to cook again. This may just push me over the edge....

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ

Last edited by bigdogphin; 07-06-2019 at 12:23 PM..
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #205
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

July Agenda is posted

Questions that popped into my mind:

• What's Heath Hall's Status? He's no longer listed on the meeting attendees yet is still listed as CEO on the website.
  • There was a lot of discussion last year from East Coast teams about the difficulty of getting to the KCBS championships from both a weather and distance issue. The solutions seems to be "Lets move it even further away" (Dallas? really?)
  • The ToY discussion (allow backyard cooks to count for ToY). That was just,,,,wow
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------

Old 07-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #206
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Membership down 247 from last month, that's interesting to me.

Also, I'm new to the KCBS/comp scene, but what is the major deal with having an assistant cook take place of the head cook if there is a conflict? Especially when the conflict is work, like the situation stated.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:35 PM   #207
GrillBillie_D
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
[*]What's Heath Hall's Status? He's no longer listed on the meeting attendees yet is still listed as CEO on the website.
This is a very good question. It still shows that the CEO report is due in Closed Session.

Another interesting topic was discussed in the rules committee. They discussed ideas about why contests and teams are disappearing and one idea discussed was dropping brisket entirely.
GrillBillie_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2019, 04:44 PM   #208
ewatts2003
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post
This is a very good question. It still shows that the CEO report is due in Closed Session.

Another interesting topic was discussed in the rules committee. They discussed ideas about why contests and teams are disappearing and one idea discussed was dropping brisket entirely.
I saw this too but didn't know if that was for the contests or just for the TOY points. To me it wouldn't be near as fun without the brisket as it seems to be the biggest challenge.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:09 PM   #209
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillBillie_D View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewatts2003 View Post
I saw this too but didn't know if that was for the contests or just for the TOY points. To me it wouldn't be near as fun without the brisket as it seems to be the biggest challenge.
I guess fixing what's actually broken is too much of a challenge
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
-----------------

Old 07-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #210
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewatts2003 View Post
Membership down 247 from last month, that's interesting to me.

Also, I'm new to the KCBS/comp scene, but what is the major deal with having an assistant cook take place of the head cook if there is a conflict? Especially when the conflict is work, like the situation stated.
Let’s say Tim & I form a team. He cooks some I cook some, but our points both count towards the team as long as the comps aren’t on the same day. This would be a very unfair situation. We could do doubles on opposite ends of the planet and we’d never miss a weekend cooking, but we each could have plenty of time off.

On second thought, maybe they should change the rule.

Tags
kcbs