MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:15 PM   #1
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Carl
Question Fireboard owners...

So I'm looking at buying the Fireboard Extreme but I have a few questions for the owners out there.

1. How happy are you with the performance and reliability?
2. Do you have the case and if so, is it worth getting?
3. Do the probes come apart in order to go through a probe port?
4. Does the system work with Android phones?

If there is any thing else you can tell me that might be helpful in my decision please let me know.

Thanks all
[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Gray"]Weber Performer[/COLOR][/COLOR], Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, [COLOR="DimGray"]East Texas Smoker RK250[/COLOR], Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke :biggrin1:
Pig_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

I’ve been using the fireboard just about every week for the past couple of months.

1. I can’t tell you anything about long term reliability at this point but in terms of reliability for overnight cooks and maintaining temps it has been fantastic. I do quite a few competitions which was the reason for my purchase so I’ve done 8 overnights with it so far between practice and comps. Once the pit comes up to temp I’m not sure I’ve seen a fluctuation greater than 2 degrees and almost all fluctuations have register +/- 1*. In terms of performance it has been rock solid.

2. I don’t have the case and have just been using a ziplock bag. When I spoke to the reps they said it was fine for a quick light rain or drizzle but not for a hard down pour so for me it doesn’t make much sense to get it unless you are just looking for the magnet mounting options.

3. The probes don’t come apart but you could put the plug in through the port since it is about half the size of the bulb on the probe.

4. The system does work with android phones, I use my Samsung s7.

Overall I’m very pleased with the Fireboard. As much as I love my DigiQs that have been so reliable for me for the last five or more years, I think I’m starting to like the fireboard even more. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to answer anything I can.
Wager is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig_Farmer View Post
So I'm looking at buying the Fireboard Extreme but I have a few questions for the owners out there.

If there is any thing else you can tell me that might be helpful in my decision please let me know.

Thanks all
1. Love it and has never failed me and tried them all and this is the best unit out there .
2. I did not like their case and bough a pluck case off ebay .
3. I feed mine backwards plug in first .
4. not sure but I bet it does .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

here is what case I went with .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-14-2018, 04:17 PM   #5
keeperofsecrets
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : ringo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
I’ve been using the fireboard just about every week for the past couple of months.

1. I can’t tell you anything about long term reliability at this point but in terms of reliability for overnight cooks and maintaining temps it has been fantastic. I do quite a few competitions which was the reason for my purchase so I’ve done 8 overnights with it so far between practice and comps. Once the pit comes up to temp I’m not sure I’ve seen a fluctuation greater than 2 degrees and almost all fluctuations have register +/- 1*. In terms of performance it has been rock solid.

2. I don’t have the case and have just been using a ziplock bag. When I spoke to the reps they said it was fine for a quick light rain or drizzle but not for a hard down pour so for me it doesn’t make much sense to get it unless you are just looking for the magnet mounting options.

3. The probes don’t come apart but you could put the plug in through the port since it is about half the size of the bulb on the probe.

4. The system does work with android phones, I use my Samsung s7.

Overall I’m very pleased with the Fireboard. As much as I love my DigiQs that have been so reliable for me for the last five or more years, I think I’m starting to like the fireboard even more. Let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll be happy to answer anything I can.
^^^This^^^

A-1 Competition Smoker
48x48 open wood grill
72x48 open wood grill/smoker/pig roaster
Sam's 8-burner gas Event Grill w/griddle drop-in
Blackstone Range Top Combo Grill
keeperofsecrets is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 08:03 PM   #6
FrankZ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Frank

Quote:

Thanks all
1. The 5 cooks I have used it I am pretty happy. I originally bought a Tapeque and the Fireboard is like a polished professional version of what that wanted to be.

Setup was very quick, it works well. The app is polished and does pretty much what you need.

2. I do not have their case. I use a ziplock and then the unit underneath if I think there will be rain.

3. I run the plug in part backwards through the port. The chamber probes can go forward through but the food ones won't with the bend in them.

4. Aye.

The only issue I have had is about 7ish hours in I had to restart the Fireboard to get temps on my phone again.

I do like the battery life on it, though it seems to trickle power between cooks. We have some small external batteries that we picked up at BJs that work great for this, they are just smaller than the Fireboard.

Overall I think it is a great unit.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #7
Music Junkie
Full Fledged Farker

Love mine. I received it for Father's Day and I have cooked ribs, a pork butt, and a couple of chickens. I really enjoy the multiple probe options, and I feel that it keeps very accurate and timely info. I was also able to monitor my pit temps while out running a few last minute errands. Never really thought I would care about that feature, but it turns out that it was very handy. Did not opt for the case, as I don't need the magnetic options and I thought the case was fairly expensive. I did opt for the probe storage stacks. Love those. I would be interested to hear feed back from any long term owners. As far as the short term, I would highly recommend one. Easy to set up and very easy to use.
Music Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2018, 05:33 AM   #8
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

I second all the great feedback so far and I have to tell you the most underrated feature is the WIFI/cloud option. No longer do I have to keep my phone within 20 feet (30 feet is just not real) of my cooker with no break in line of sight! I had an iGrill and it worked fine when I had a back patio entrance next to my office. But now I smoke on my front drive way and I could be 50 feet on the other side of my property or at KFC buying sides.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-15-2018, 09:18 AM   #9
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks everyone. All the feedback was super helpful. I'm going to get one. Just don't tell the wife.
[COLOR="Silver"][COLOR="Gray"]Weber Performer[/COLOR][/COLOR], Weber kettle red, Dual Weber Kettle table gold, UDS, [COLOR="DimGray"]East Texas Smoker RK250[/COLOR], Blackstone 36, Blackstone 17, GMG Trek, LSG Large IVC Candy Apple Red W/4WD and a 6.7L Power Stroke :biggrin1:

Old 07-15-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
FrankZ

I did the extreme option mostly because it seemed like a better deal with all the probes.

I keep thinking of getting the probes that replace the pit thermometers.

Old 07-15-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I did the extreme option mostly because it seemed like a better deal with all the probes.

I keep thinking of getting the probes that replace the pit thermometers.
I did that and it’s great. Much easier to ensure consistency of the pit when your pit probe is in the same location every time. One thing to keep in mind, the longer of the two probes is a different type so if you need the longer one you will need to change the probe type on the app so that it reads correctly.

One other thing. If you are replacing a tel-tru you will need to get a reducer/spacer as the probe threads are smaller than the opening. I think I got a 1/2 to 1/4 at Home Depot.

Last edited by Wager; 07-15-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-15-2018, 07:22 PM   #12
FrankZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
I did that and it’s great. Much easier to ensure consistency of the pit when your pit probe is in the same location every time. One thing to keep in mind, the longer of the two probes is a different type so if you need the longer one you will need to change the probe type on the app so that it reads correctly.

One other thing. If you are replacing a tel-tru you will need to get a reducer/spacer as the probe threads are smaller than the opening. I think I got a 1/2 to 1/4 at Home Depot.
https://www.fireboard.com/shop/smoke...12-npt-thread/

They have 1/2 NPT probes...

Old 07-15-2018, 07:39 PM   #13
Pig_Farmer
is One Chatty Farker

Would the long Sous vide probe work in a uds? Weld a fitting to the drum at grate level. Just thinking out loud.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:03 PM   #14
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Yeah their probes are 1/2 but for some reason the reducer/spacer that you get is measured differently for some reason??? It really is a 1/2 to 1/4. Seems really strange to me.

Old 07-15-2018, 08:25 PM   #15
Wager
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Would the long Sous vide probe work in a uds? Weld a fitting to the drum at grate level. Just thinking out loud.
Not sure if you would need the long one or not. Trying to picture how far it would go into the UDS and if it might take up real estate on the grate? It will definitely work just not sure which length would be best for your needs.