First Pit Purchase - HELP

joeljenewein

Reaction score
I've spent the last 48 hours while my account has been in moderation going through a ton of topics here and there has been some serious pit envy, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

I've had a Traeger for the last three years, it was the first "smoker" I had ever purchased, I just got the smallest one from Costco so I could learn on it and figure out if it was something I really wanted to get into. Long story short, I went to a buddies not too long ago who had a traditional offset smoker that had been given to him and hadn't been touched in years. He invited me over to re-break it in since I had a basic understanding of how offsets worked, and I smoked four racks of spare ribs that day. They were the best ribs I'd ever smoked in my life and it wasn't even close, I couldn't believe the WORLD of a difference from my Traeger to a legit offset, so now here I am trying to make a fist time buyers decision.

Here's where you guys come in - every time I think I've narrowed down my options something else pops up, so I'm hoping to get some insight. I really love the idea of a traditional flowing offset, and Lone Star Grillz seems to make a great product. I believe in buy once cry once, so while my budget isn't unlimited, I'm willing to drop some some cash on this for it to last a couple decades (at least thats my sales pitch to my wife). In browsing this forum, I saw quite a few folks mention LSG's vertical offset, and the cooking capacity provided by that blew my mind. Seemed like a no brainer, but I do have to ask, is a vertical offset going to provide more of a "direct heat" as opposed to a smoky taste? I'm in this for the taste first and foremost, while I don't think I'd ever fill up a vertical offset, it'd be nice to try. But if it's not going to have the same smokiness as a horizontal, I don't think that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Also stumbled upon Shirley Fabrication today, I'm going to send them an email but everything I've read involves a very long wait time, and I'm simply not that patient, although they look very impressive as well.

All input is appreciated!

I think biggest bang for your buck might be an Old County line. Available at Academy. They have the Brazos that I’ve considered as a stick burner. Also make a vertical smoker as well. Plenty of YouTube videos on the brand.
But I to am just learning and trying to figure it out.

Just to make things more difficult on you take a look at Ironside Smokers. They make insulated cabinet style smokers which can be run just like a stick burner, or you can load them up with charcoal and run them like a normal cabinet smoker. Super high build quality and all the reviews I've seen of them are top notch.

http://www.ironsidesmokers.com/

Good luck with whatever you purchase.

All I can is don't let a lot of the members here tempt you into overspending. Thats one thing they are good at doing.

Get a cheapy like an old country to even see if you really want to mess with the hassle of an offset.

All I can is don't let a lot of the members here tempt you into overspending. Thats one thing they are good at doing.

Get a cheapy like an old country to even see if you really want to mess with the hassle of an offset.

You are quick to badmouth the members here. Why do you stay if you have such a problem with the other posters?

As for the OP, I would suggest giving LSG a call to see if they can answer your questions. Also, last I heard was that Shirley was making a no frills patio model that cut the wait time down by quite a bit.

Haha yeah that seems like sage advice. The condensed version of the backstory on my traeger is because it's their smallest model and it's sold at Costco, it doesn't have all the bells and whistles some of their other models do. It's been very good to learn on but I haven't been able to "set it and forget it" since I unboxed it. I believe my model doesn't have an algorithm driven auger, it's just a timer, so I've had temperature swings on it on every long cook I've done that you wouldn't believe. From what I've read on this forum and other articles/watched on YouTube, it seems like if you get a good offset you'll be fiddling with it every 45 minutes or so. That would be a significant time savings for me, which is why I'm kind of leaning towards forking up the cash for a really good one.

LSG makes a great smoker. Good people too. Solid choice!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

You are quick to badmouth the members here. Why do you stay if you have such a problem with the other posters?

As for the OP, I would suggest giving LSG a call to see if they can answer your questions. Also, last I heard was that Shirley was making a no frills patio model that cut the wait time down by quite a bit.

That's awesome news regarding the Shirley, I was really impressed by some of those rigs. I'll definitely give LSG a call tomorrow.

Just to make things more difficult on you take a look at Ironside Smokers. They make insulated cabinet style smokers which can be run just like a stick burner, or you can load them up with charcoal and run them like a normal cabinet smoker. Super high build quality and all the reviews I've seen of them are top notch.

http://www.ironsidesmokers.com/

Good luck with whatever you purchase.

Thanks!

The 36"x24" Shirley's are ~$1900 plus shipping. They are a really solid choice and have pretty quick deliveries if you don't buy one in stock from a vendor.

Personally, I like the traditional central Texas look of a classic pipe smoker like my Evie Mae. If you can't tell, I'm a reverse flow guy on the "patio" models. If I do a propane tank build, it will most likely be a traditional flow since I have so much more real-estate to work with.

The 36"x24" Shirley's are ~$1900 plus shipping. They are a really solid choice and have pretty quick deliveries if you don't buy one in stock from a vendor.

Personally, I like the traditional central Texas look of a classic pipe smoker like my Evie Mae. If you can't tell, I'm a reverse flow guy on the "patio" models. If I do a propane tank build, it will most likely be a traditional flow since I have so much more real-estate to work with.

That is the other dilemma I'm faced with, reverse flow vs traditional. I like the idea of traditional with tuning plates (LSG), feel like it opens up a lot of options in the future. Reverse flow is probably going to make my life easier since I'm just getting started though with temperature control - I'm assuming on a quality pit like a Shirley there's no real reason to be worried about stale smoke as long as you're doing your part, right?

The Shirley’s are great cookers, but the shipping to LA may be a killer. I vote you buy local. You can go see the shops and really get a feel for the quality of the smokers if you buy local.

Scour CL for used offsets. Silverfinger scored a very nice Klose offset for a very good price, and he's gotten more than his money's worth of use out of it. And got a bunch of free oak, too! Used quality offsets are absolutely fine if they're properly maintained, so that may be an option to consider. Plus no shipping costs.

Advise take your time and don't rush into a purchase you will regret or wish you went a different direction later.
I also think anyone should do their homework on TYPES of smokers and decide what type will work best for their needs.
Once BBQ comps open back up go to one and talk to those teams on a Friday (Saturday MOST teams will not want to be bothered) and ask them questions on different types pits you see.
Once you nail the type down go bigger than you expect to need.

That said I am a Gravity smoker man all the way and my weapon of choice is a deep South GC28.

You should take a look at J.H. Smokers as well. He is in the Inland Empire which would save you $500 or $600 in shipping.

Thanks all, lots of good options out there. 5K is a bit out of my price range, and I think a trailer might be too big for where I can store it at the moment, still trying to figure that out because I'd love to have it on a trailer.
Fat Stack is also a bit out of my price range for a base model, their 120 starts at 4k and I can definitely get a few add ons from LSG or Shirley for that much.
I had looked into KAT and JH Fabrication - both were reverse flow and I'm leaning more towards traditional with tuning plates. JH said he doesn't usually do that, I emailed Shirley to see if they'd be willing to do traditional.
Really appreciate everyone's insight.

I bought a LSG 20x42 this year and couldn’t be happier. I’d only ever smoked on a BGE before and the difference in the finished product is remarkable. It’s like everything I make on the offset is the best I’’ve ever made. I went with the 20 x42 because it didn’t have long lead time, doesn’t break the bank and is very responsive to inputs. I don’t need that much space but would rather not feel the need to upgrade down the road. I can be cooking 20 minutes after I pull the cover off with the propane assist to get a
bed of coal fired up. I highly recommend getting the fire management basket. For a newbie like me it made life so much simpler. I’ve finally settled on 1-2 small splits every 30 minutes. I ran a 6 hr cook yesterday and it went smooth with this regiment.

I also really appreciate the direct cooking aspect. I like to reverse sear and direct cook when appropriate and opening the lid and cooking over the fire box works great. Heck, I’ve even made pizzas inside the fire box!

I haven’t even mentioned the fit and finish. It’s about perfect. I look at all the details sometimes and wonder how they can even make any money on it.

If this is what you settle on you won’t be disappointed. Good luck on whatever you decide!

Back