First Time 3-2-1 Ribs on Kamado

BBQpve

Knows what a fatty is.
Usually i do my ribs without wrapping / crutching. This time I'm trying the 3-2-1 method for the first time using my KJ Classic. Here some pictures of the cook in process. Using some apple & pecan wood chunks for smoke.

Rubbed the ribs with Jack Stack from KC rub:
SVhrX3Tl.jpg

N07OjBDl.jpg

bROM4pXl.jpg

After 3 hours:
NkbloeOl.jpg

IDPSV10l.jpg

Wrapped with Blues Hog Tennessee Red, Brown Sugar, Butter, Apple Cider Vinegar:
7Q5SeLRl.jpg

And now they are back on the cooker

Looking good so far. I find on my Classic or Big Joe 1.75-2 hours bare 45 minutes to an hour wrapped with liquid (I like red wine) the 15-20 minutes for sauce or to reset the bark gets em done every time. I usually run between 280-295. Good luck!

Looking good so far. I find on my Classic or Big Joe 1.75-2 hours bare 45 minutes to an hour wrapped with liquid (I like red wine) the 15-20 minutes for sauce or to reset the bark gets em done every time. I usually run between 280-295. Good luck!
Thanks. You run hotter than me. I try to keep it around 225-250, but today it's been running on the low side.

Here's the final product.

First glazed them with Blues Hog Original and put back on the cooker for the final 30 minutes:

mU31m14l.jpg

CtTUMX4l.jpg

Here they are cut up and plated:

rvPiq2Gl.jpg

8Wf8ocWl.jpg

They tasted pretty good, but different than my usual method. My usual method takes longer in prep, as I salt the night before and then use a saltless rub right before the cook. It is easier during the cook though, as I don't take them out to wrap.
I also noticed that the meat pulled much further away from the bones while they were wrapped. Not sure if that is a plus or a minus.
Maybe next cook I'll try one rack wrapped and the other unwrapped, and see what the difference is.

Wow the bones really did pull back on that last grill shot. I think the length of time May have caused that. You might want to try 2-1-.5 and do the bend test after the third hour. My best ones usually run at 265 or so.

Wow the bones really did pull back on that last grill shot. I think the length of time May have caused that. You might want to try 2-1-.5 and do the bend test after the third hour. My best ones usually run at 265 or so.

Yep! 3-2-1 was developed for full slab spares at 225. St, Louis trimmed spares would need less time. I cook mine at 250 and they typically go 2-1.5-glaze, but it is actually on the grate (or hanging) until th embark color is where I like it, and then in foil until tender.

Yep! 3-2-1 was developed for full slab spares at 225. St, Louis trimmed spares would need less time. I cook mine at 250 and they typically go 2-1.5-glaze, but it is actually on the grate (or hanging) until th embark color is where I like it, and then in foil until tender.

yeah, this exactly; I also find ribs in particular cook faster in my Kamado; I rarely go over 4 hours total at 250 or so;

Looks good. I like wrapping on the kamado. Cleaner flavor if you wrap midway through the cook.

Back