the hog house in huntington long island

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
sorry, no review, but i have heard that they recently opened in huntington and i was thinking about packing the kids in the minivan and going there tomarrow. has anyone in that area heard about them or been there? please let me know. thanks.
phil

I have not been there but i do have a review of another place.

This evening after work in manhattan I decided to try a joint called
Dallas BBQ on 72nd street.

I ordered one of the "smokehouse specialities" consisting of pulled pork,brisket,coleslaw, and fries.

Two decent sized portions. To begin the sauce on was bland with nothing to it. The brisket was like pot roast overdone with a sliver of smokering on one edge about an 1/8" thick. The pork was finely shedded very mushy. On a plus side the coleslaw was awesome. The fries were kind of like TGI fridays.

The after effects are a totally different story. I would like to publicly apologize to my fellow passengers on the LIRR on the ride home. The knoxious fumes created quite a pleasant ride. The expressions of disgust were priceless. gases. The homeland security special task force was called in on a report of poisenous On a better note if you want the mattress all to yourself it will work cause the ole lady says she gonna sleep on the couch!!!

I asked te manager if there was a smoker on the premise and he said their is one in the Basement. I asked if i could see it and he game something about health dept blah blah blah. The waitress who i might add was excellent said that on a thurs, fri sat the place is mobbed and it holds 400 people! I wont go back that is unless they will sell me a side of coleslaw

Dallas BBQ ain't Q. But they do have a great onion loaf and their rositary chicken ain't bad.

Steve - how often are you in that part of Manhattan - I'm up there all the time. Call me and we could hit Brother Jimmys for more bad Q but really hot waitresses and cold beer.

Here's a link to a review of the Hog House. Sounds promising.

"Luckily, the barbecue is all first rate and not overproduced. Baby Porkers ($8.75), ordered off the "Start" menu were an unexpectedly meaty half-rack of baby backs. These are not your standard-issue fall-off-the-bone variety, but so covered with meat that you barely notice the bones until you begin to divide them with a knife, all toothsome but tender."

http://www.longislandpress.com/?cp=50&show=article&a_id=7730

I had a friend who went and said it was not very good. You could serve dog s--t on a bun and if you advertise with them they will write you a good review. That is what you see here on LI I say this because i have never seen a bad review on any of these BBQ joints. Its always the next best thing to hit LI whoever they review.
I went out to red smoke and its still not opened
Sorry for the rant

Well I'm just gonna go over to Will's house and grab some stuff out of that Lang. He won't even know its missing.

rbsnwngs said:
I had a friend who went and said it was not very good. You could serve dog s--t on a bun and if you advertise with them they will write you a good review. That is what you see here on LI I say this because i have never seen a bad review on any of these BBQ joints. Its always the next best thing to hit LI whoever they review.
I went out to red smoke and its still not opened
Sorry for the rant

sorry about that red smoke thing Will. they seem to be waiting for an inspection, but their phone message says they are open. when i posted i was going by the sign in the window. sorry if anyone wasted a trip.
phil

not your fault i have gone out twice mostly just for the ride with my little girl. Couped up all winter its nice to take a ride like that.

ya get the feeling that the Inspectors dont want legitimate Que places to open out here, for some reason... it's either them , or the health inspectors yapping about something....

Here's the link...

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/dining/111677,0,178112.venue

I would call that a mixed review.
corn bread, which I found alternately overbaked and overchilled
succulent flash-grilled barbecue shrimp, bits of spice rub clinging to them
Ribs have been variable, as is often the case at barbecue restaurants. I've had baby backs that were tender, spice-crusted wonders and others that were tough and either dry or over-sauced. On the other hand, the barbecued chicken has always been juicy, infused with spice and the flavor of the smoker.

rbsnwngs said:
there is a review in todays newsday and guess what
ITS A GOOD ONE
big surprise

I only use newsday to wipe my arse. I usually open it to the editorial section first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two co-workers went there for lunch today. Brought back the menu for me, which I left at work... Said it was very small, less than 10 tables.

Menu says brisket is cooked 16 hrs... and the pork shoulder for 6.....

Take it for what its worth from guys who rarely eat BBQ ...... The only other BBQ they knew was Smokin' Als' and they said Smokin' Al's was much better.

I'll try it one day for lunch at some point.

Smoker said:
Well I'm just gonna go over to Will's house and grab some stuff out of that Lang. He won't even know its missing.

i took pics.. can't download 'em because my kids hid the card reader but i remember what was there....i think....

Back