MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:42 PM   #16
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Never tried one of those cookers. A friend use to host a pig roast once a summer. Fuel oil drum with a homemade chain-drive rotisserie. Put the pig (usually 110-120#) on around midnight to be ready for late afternoon dinner. Very great memories tending the fire and staying up most of the night.

If that cooker gets the pig done in 4 or 5 hours...?

Yes, take it off the ice Sunday night.

Old 05-25-2019, 06:27 PM   #17
SOSM
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Bubba

Good Luck!

Subscribed
Yoder YS640S/BGE/UDS #1 (Fat Man)/ UDS #2 (Little Boy)/Weber Grill
SOSM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 08:28 PM   #18
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Yes, take it off the ice Sunday night.
No no no no no Food, look at Amazing Ribs scientific studies
about the "Room Temperature" myth.
Taking your steaks out an hour before doesn't bring them NEARLY to room temp.
It would take 4 or 5 hours for a STEAK to get there.
A pig would take a day. And that is not food safe.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #19
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This from Meathead at Amazing ribs, Meathead and those guys I trust.. they are awesome -

Quote:
9) We will go straight from the fridge to the cooker. Many recipes tell you to leave the meat out for an hour to come to room temp. To warm a 4" thick log of meat to room temp up will take at least 10 hours, not a good idea from a safety standpoint. Read my article on warming meat to room temp by clicking here. Besides, smoke sticks better to cold meat. So go straight from fridge to cooker.

This for serious reading. Awesome stuff.
https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...er-beef-roasts
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 02:44 AM   #20
food4thot
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Erik, E

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchar69 View Post
No no no no no Food, look at Amazing Ribs scientific studies
about the "Room Temperature" myth.
Taking your steaks out an hour before doesn't bring them NEARLY to room temp.
It would take 4 or 5 hours for a STEAK to get there.
A pig would take a day. And that is not food safe.
It's a massive piece of intact (not ground/exposed to contamination) meat that will be in the cooker for hours. No way an extra 6-8 hours at room temp would be a problem, especially since the exterior will get the brunt of the heat first while the inside will still be cold.

Reason I put the night before out there is because I'm highly skeptical that rig can cook the thing in 5 hours, even if it was out at room temp for a day.

btw...I've left thick steaks and roasts out at room temp for 4-6 hours. Never had an issue. I think people worry too much following what they read. Some freak the hell out when I tell them I drink raw milk and love steak tartare and carpaccio.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-26-2019, 08:07 AM   #21
Capt
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cole

These boxes do cook pretty dang fast. However I would personally not bring the swine to room temp. its really not necessary. I do however, reduce the amount of ice on my ice chest. you don't want it too terribly cold but you want it to hold around 40-50 just before putting it on. If you have a good thermometer with probes you will want to use it for this. You can't see the pig on these boxes and its much more efficient to not open if not necessary.

score the fat and at the end I like to bring up the heat or get a torch and make sure I get some good cracklin!

Have fun and share lots of pics!

also I would give myself an hour or two leeway on your cooking time and just try and maintain the coals you will need about 40lbs of charcoal.

Old Country Pecos Stick Burner / Weber One Touch Platinum / Camp Chef Flat Top 600 / Caja China (Pig Box) / Weber Spirit Gasser / Weber Q 1200 Tailgator / Ooni Pro Pizza Slayer / Vision Kamado Pro
Capt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019, 12:15 AM   #22
Todd S
Got Wood.

The pig roast was fantastic. It took way longer than it should have. We pulled the pig out of ice and injected with mojo sauce.I put the pig on at 7:50 AM. Charcoal was ashed over at 8:30, which is when time is supposed to start. Every hour we added 10lbs of charcoal. Every other hour we removed ash buildup. We flipped the pig from its back down to up at 3:00PM. It should have been ready to flip by 12:30. The ham internal temp was 175. When we flipped it over, we scored the skin. It looked a little pink to me. I checked with a hand thermometer and it showed temp at 158, near the skin. Uh oh. Normally, the skin ably takes 1/2 hour to crisp. This took 2.25 hours. We finally pulled the pig out to rest for 30-45 minutes. That lasted for 20 minutes because I thought a riot was going to break out. My buddy rick and I started pulling from one half of the pig and let people have at the other half if they wanted. The skin was the best part of the whole thing! It was an amazing day with good friends!

I had some friends that have cooked with this box before try to help troubleshoot the cook time. Ash acts as an insulator. I will remove the ash each time I add more charcoal. They said every time the lid is cracked open, it will add an extra half hour to cook time. That was not a problem, because I didn’t open the lid until we flipped the pig. One last suggestion was that the lid was not making a good seal and heat was escaping. I did have my probes for the thermoworks running under the lid half way down the lid. Obviously there was a slight gap there. I wonder if that could have been a source of heat loss.
Todd S is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019, 05:55 AM   #23
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatAttack View Post
Protect the loins. Don't wanna dry 'em out.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-31-2019, 06:15 AM   #24
creek bottom
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joe

Looks FANTASTIC!!! Congratulations on a great cook!!!

A1 Competition Smoker; Meadow Creek 96; Oklahoma Joe's Bronco (gone but not forgotten); Weber 26" & 22" Kettles; Camp Chef XXL Pellet Smoker; Blackstone 22" Portable; Weber 300 Series Gasser; Masterbuilt 30" Electric Cabinet
creek bottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2019, 12:31 PM   #25
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

The problem with cook time was not with how you operated the cooker, ash, temp leaks or anything like that. The problem was your initial estimate was nowhere close to realistic.

Old 05-31-2019, 01:05 PM   #26
BuffettFan
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

Looks Fantastic!

Old 05-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #27
ArnieTex
Full Fledged Farker

Really nice job, whole hogs are real crowd pleasers and fun to cook.

Old 06-01-2019, 06:14 AM   #28
frognot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Charles

Looks like a successful cook there!

Only thing I know about cooking times is add some extra because it's done when it's done.

Large Big Green Egg

"If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it." deguerre

"Bludawg looks just like I thought he would. Frognot looks like Tuffy Stone's dad!" aawa

" . . . which includes frognot, who is a SoCal Pharker by now" gtr
frognot is offline   Reply With Quote