MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!
Default Hot and fast brisket on traeger questions.

I am thinking about doing a hot and fast brisket on my traeger and adding a foil pack of wood chips for supplementary smoke. Would this work to get smoke at temps of 325-350? I know low and slow but I may have to do it hot and fast at some point and I saw an article about it. I was wondering if I can still get a smokey flavor. Also, should I remove the fat cap for hot and fast? I figure the fat will not render as easily at hot and fast temps. Let me know what you think if you have done this before. Thanks
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think it would be over kill I cook at 300+ all the time plenty of smoke flavor. Leave all the fat cap in place and cook FC down it renders just fine just trim out the pockets of hard fat on each side where the point & flat meet.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 AM   #3
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Ok what would you say typical cook times are for hot and fast brisket per pound?
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
I think it would be over kill I cook at 300+ all the time plenty of smoke flavor. Leave all the fat cap in place and cook FC down it renders just fine just trim out the pockets of hard fat on each side where the point & flat meet.
Blu cooks on a Traeger?

I think you should keep the foil pack from what I have read about cooking on a Traeger, but never used a Traeger.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Blu cooks on a Traeger?

I think you should keep the foil pack from what I have read about cooking on a Traeger, but never used a Traeger.
NOT!!! Pellet poopers are Little easy bake ministick burners It should get enough with the pellets over 5-6 hrs. I wonder if his is pink

Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #6
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
Blu cooks on a Traeger?

The day blu cooks on a Traeger is the day i send him barbie doll stickers to put on his easy bake oven.

A buddy of mine put on a smoke daddy to get some some flavor out of his traeger cooking at higher temps....don't know how long of a smoke foil packs will get ya but if you do make lots of them.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
peeps

Quote:
NOT!!! Pellet poopers are Little easy bake ministick burners It should get enough with the pellets over 5-6 hrs. I wonder if his is pink
lol...

I guess that depends on if he is wrapping or letting it ride naked.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 10:55 AM   #8
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
The day blu cooks on a Traeger is the day i send him barbie doll stickers to put on his easy bake oven.

A buddy of mine put on a smoke daddy to get some some flavor out of his traeger cooking at higher temps....don't know how long of a smoke foil packs will get ya but if you do make lots of them.
What I guy I know how much they mean to ya. I might even let you peek under my apron Cook time neked at 300-325 is about 50 min Lb I would go with a few chunks instead of chips if you think you need it.

Old 04-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #9
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I would smoke it for and hour or so @ 180 then crank it up. Burning pellets at
300-350 causes a very efficient burn with a very light smoke profile. One of the
smoke generators would help a lot.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #10
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineMaster View Post
I would smoke it for and hour or so @ 180 then crank it up. Burning pellets at
300-350 causes a very efficient burn with a very light smoke profile. One of the
smoke generators would help a lot.
Dan is right on.
In addition, using the strongest pellets you can get will help.
I have some 100% Mesquite from Lumberjack which might produce good smoke flavor at those temps. 100% Hickory might work also.

I doubt you will get good results using any flavor of blended pellets, especially Traeger.

Good Luck

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #11
SmittyJonz

Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #12
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn View Post
Dan is right on.
In addition, using the strongest pellets you can get will help.
I have some 100% Mesquite from Lumberjack which might produce good smoke flavor at those temps. 100% Hickory might work also.

I doubt you will get good results using any flavor of blended pellets, especially Traeger.

Good Luck

TIM
That's what i said about those Traeger pellets the other day but rusty doesn't want to void his warranty by using other pellets. Answer- Traeger doesn't have to know what brand pellets you use.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:04 PM   #13
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

I've done a couple briskets using the BluDawg method on my Traeger and didn't have any issues with getting enough smoke. I used a blend of the cherry and pecan and it turned out great. Now granted, I'm not a huge fan of a heavy smoke so YMMV.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #14
K-Barbecue
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim

Start out at 225 fat side down until internal temp is about 145. I prefer 180 but the Traeger only has 150 then 225 and 150 is too low for this. Then crank her up to 325 until internal is about 175 and you're happy with the bark and the fat is good and rendered. Then foil fat side up until done. As said above use a 100% pellet. I like a 50/50 mix of mesquite and hickory with my brisket. Also I trim the fat cap to about 1/4" before cooking. The lower starting point will give a good smoke flavor.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #15
Fwismoker

Quote:
What I guy I know how much they mean to ya.
Blu....what did i tell you about drinking so early in the morning?