Which of the Green Mountain smokers cooks best?

RemoGaggi

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've owned a Jim Bowie and currently have a Davy Crockett. I just picked up a Daniel Boone at a great price off CL and it got me wondering what others think of the performance of the 3 models when matched up against each other (not capacity).

For me, I was never really happy with the Jim Bowie for various reasons (poor smoking flavor, unusually long cook times, and always seemed to be fighting with it). It's been my experience that the Davy Crockett does a much better job overall than the Jim Bowie (again, not talking about capacity). I haven't cooked on the Daniel Boone yet, but it got me wondering how others compare the 3 models against each other.

I don't think many have cooked on all three smokers, let alone own all of them.

That said, I have a DB. It has it's issues, but I know them and adjust accordingly. It puts out fantastic Q. I do use a amazn tube to add smoke profile as I do believe it proudces a very light smoke profile.

I've had my Jim Bowie for 5 years now and just love it. I added an amazing tube for more smoke and played with the deflector plates until i got the same temp readings with the hood gage and the temp settings.Its dialed in

I have a davy crockett and a jim bowie. I get pretty good results on both. The JB seems to burn cleaner, which leads to a lighter smoke profile. It's very similar compared to my cinderblock pit running TBS, but the cinderblock pit will taste more "woody" rather than smoky.

I had a DB. GMGs produce very light smoke and the DB is no exception. As I recall, temps were very controlled. The smoke flavor was much too lite for me, so I tried various smoke generators to help.The Tube worked somewhat.
I sold it and got a MAK and have never had to use a smoke gen since. Temps are solid.

I don't think many have cooked on all three smokers, let alone own all of them.

That said, I have a DB. It has it's issues, but I know them and adjust accordingly. It puts out fantastic Q. I do use a amazn tube to add smoke profile as I do believe it produces a very light smoke profile.

I'll second this one...

Bought a DB about 5yrs ago and love it. It has some issues, but I have made adjustments and tweaks. Q comes out darn good. I also believe that good Q can be done on almost anything, if you just know how to use it. Price point was solid, and I have learned a lot from using it.

Back