MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
ToddM
Full Fledged Farker

I used to work for Kraft foods at their edible oil refinery in Buena Park, CA. Soy oil is the cheapest grade of cooking oil you can get. Anything marked Veg oil is soy. Corn or sunflower are good alternatives.

We would on rare occasions refine a batch of peanut oil, very high quality stuff. When we'd run a batch you'd see a line of guys getting "samples" from the holding tank it was in.

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-15-2013, 04:49 PM   #17
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

I've found Soy Bean oil in the ethnic food section of my Publix. I've used it when cooking stir-fry.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #18
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ View Post
lol let me guess chat-cher-rees instead of Sat-cher-rees?
One of many ways they butcher it.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #19
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

If you need something to emulsify the oil and water you can use lecithin capsules from any Walgreens or similar drug store. You can find them in the vitamin and supplement section.

I use em when making hot wing sauce to keep the hot sauce and butter from separating.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

A work in progress. I started with straight sunflower oil and quickly noticed all my spices would sink to the bottom Then I thought wow he must have some really ground fine spices. Tony's version you can barley see any spices in it except the red pepper. I'm starting to think his product is simply an infused oil (cook spices in the oil and then strain) Make sense guys? I'm thinking the little water they use is to dissolve the salt as salt is not an oily spice and will not infuse in oil.I'm am surprisingly close to the flavor profile.
How long do you think I should simmer the spices in the oil to infuse it? Any ideas
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 10:17 PM   #21
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayoustateBBQ View Post
A work in progress. I started with straight sunflower oil and quickly noticed all my spices would sink to the bottom Then I thought wow he must have some really ground fine spices. Tony's version you can barley see any spices in it except the red pepper. I'm starting to think his product is simply an infused oil (cook spices in the oil and then strain) Make sense guys? I'm thinking the little water they use is to dissolve the salt as salt is not an oily spice and will not infuse in oil.I'm am surprisingly close to the flavor profile.
How long do you think I should simmer the spices in the oil to infuse it? Any ideas
I would say that when the color looks right you are probably there.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Boudreaux
Knows what a fatty is.

I have six various bottles of Tony's Injector on the shelf in the cupboard as I type this.... It's the only injector I have used in years. That goes for the Tony's Cajun Seasoning as well. I'm considering using the Tony's Cajun Seasoning as a Rib Rub next Wednesday...

Old 02-15-2013, 11:06 PM   #23
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
I have six various bottles of Tony's Injector on the shelf in the cupboard as I type this.... It's the only injector I have used in years. That goes for the Tony's Cajun Seasoning as well. I'm considering using the Tony's Cajun Seasoning as a Rib Rub next Wednesday...
I love it on ribs! Just remember that its more of a seasoned salt. I've seen a lot of food ruined by people applying Tony's as heavy as you would a rub.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #24
Boudreaux
Knows what a fatty is.

Hi Q-Dat, What you said makes sense. I had not though of the large amount of salt I would have applied as a rub.. Well, back to the drawing board.... thanks....

Old 02-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #25
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boudreaux View Post
Hi Q-Dat, What you said makes sense. I had not though of the large amount of salt I would have applied as a rub.. Well, back to the drawing board.... thanks....
I have used it like a rub but you use it as a base. Try 1 part Tony's, 1 part sugar, and 1 part a mixture of other things like onion, garlic, chili powder, and paprika.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #26
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

yeah for ribs, a good combo is brown sugar base and tony's. I would say add a dash of paprika to add a little more redish to the rub but be careful paprika is pepper based.
As everyone has said go easy the the Tony's because it can easily over power stuff.

still a work in progress on the injection. I can't find my mortar and pestle but I want to grind the spices up more to release more of the oils to infuse into the sunflower oil.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #27
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
I love it on ribs! Just remember that its more of a seasoned salt. I've seen a lot of food ruined by people applying Tony's as heavy as you would a rub.
Exactly.

I ruined three slabs of ribs one day by coating on the Bad Byron's Butt Rub like it was a rib rub.

Couldn't eat them.

A light dusting would have been all that was needed. I goofed and went heavy handed.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #28
Hankdad1
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
They do make a light version, it cuts the sodium level from 310mg per 1/4 tsp down to 110mg