MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-19-2004, 08:42 AM   #1
evilpsych
Full Fledged Farker

Default reheating brisket from frozen or chilled...

well.

I've got 3 flats in the 'dera at the moment, along with a heapin pot of chili. 2 of the flats are slated to be frozen, with one of those shipped to colorado. What's the best way to revive my labors in the home kitchen? An oven at 195 with a water pan in it? Slice cold and nuke in the microwave? I will post pictures shortly.

I'm pissed off because i couldnt fit 4 briskets in there w/ the chili pot, plus wally world was outta packer cuts so the 3 i'm smoking are flats tha cost me $2.56 a pound. I've decided that doing a full smoker one a month and freezing the results is the best economy, sure you fellers feel the same way.
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2004, 09:45 AM   #2
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
I'm pissed off because i couldnt fit 4 briskets in there w/ the chili pot, plus wally world was outta packer cuts so the 3 i'm smoking are flats tha cost me $2.56 a pound. I've decided that doing a full smoker one a month and freezing the results is the best economy, sure you fellers feel the same way.
That's a bitch. Sure beats having all your cookers in storage though. Do not nuke.

Old 09-19-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
evilpsych
Full Fledged Farker

anyone else with good idears? county line BBq's website did have pretty thorough directions. I'll post em here.

"Whole Brisket
Preheat oven to 250º.
In a cake or roasting pan, prepare a foil “bowl.” Remove the brisket from the plastic
package and carefully reserve any meat juices from the package. Place the brisket in the
center of the foil “bowl.” Using your favorite instant beef bouillon, follow the directions
for preparing one cup of broth (you may opt to use canned broth instead of instant). Pour
the broth and reserved meat juice into the foil “bowl.” Wrap the ends of the foil up over
the brisket loosely, but cover it completely. Place in preheated oven and reheat until a
meat thermometer inserted in the meat reads 150º to 160º.
Suggested reheating time for whole brisket is 1 ½ to 2 hours.
Times may vary due to the amount of brisket. It may be necessary to check at 10 to 15
minute intervals after the first 45 minutes. After removing the brisket from the oven,
remove the foil carefully. There will be steam trapped under the foil that could cause
burns.
Serving Suggestions:
In order to ensure a nice moist brisket we leave a layer of fat cover on the bottom of
the brisket. Leave this on while re-heating. Prior to serving, trim the thin layer of
fat. Slice the brisket across the grain in wafer thin slices. An electric knife works
great for this."

Old 09-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #4
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cut all my leftovers into single servings, put into a ziplock bag and freeze. Then I just take out what I need and nuke it. Tastes just like it come out of the smoker.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2004, 10:18 PM   #5
evilpsych
Full Fledged Farker

well, considering these flats didnt turn out that tender, i think the roasting pan idea with a little broth/soda for about 3hrs should fix the problem

Old 09-23-2004, 12:29 AM   #6
thillin

Try freezing portions after vac sealing. No air, no freezer burn. Then just boil on the stove, still sealed in the bag.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2004, 07:46 AM   #7
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thillin
Try freezing portions after vac sealing. No air, no freezer burn. Then just boil on the stove, still sealed in the bag.
I'm gonna try this tonight on half a vac'ed flat.

Thanks Thillin,

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2004, 09:25 AM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

i vacum seal them before i freeze em.. Then when the time comes, i'll let them defrost on their own left out overnight or in the fridge. Then i slice them while cold(real easy to slice that way) and lay the slices in a casserole dish. Put the juices in the dish with a little beef broth or stock(sp?) and just heat in the oven for a little while. I have used some onion soup in place of beef stock and that was pretty good also.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-25-2004, 09:29 AM   #9
Bill-Chicago

now I might try that way, since I do want to slice it rather thin tonight.

Decisions, decisions.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle

Old 10-26-2004, 10:47 PM   #10
Bill-Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
i vacum seal them before i freeze em.. Then when the time comes, i'll let them defrost on their own left out overnight or in the fridge. Then i slice them while cold(real easy to slice that way) and lay the slices in a casserole dish. Put the juices in the dish with a little beef broth or stock(sp?) and just heat in the oven for a little while. I have used some onion soup in place of beef stock and that was pretty good also.
Just an epitaph (sp)

used Phils method

sliced thin, added to casserole dish, stacked them with plenty of room (slices that is) and a hint of water. covered, 325 for an hour or so.

fall apart awesome

my mom said "next time you make that thar brisket, make sure you invite me"

I love a decent left over!!

Thanks guys.

Still gonna boil in the vac bag some day.

The death of "willkat98"

Old 10-27-2004, 05:46 AM   #11
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
used Phils method

sliced thin, added to casserole dish, stacked them with plenty of room (slices that is) and a hint of water. covered, 325 for an hour or so.

fall apart awesome
On a related note, I reheated a pork loin last night using a very similar method, sliced thin, juice poured over the slices in a covered casserole. Due to the requirements of another dish, warmed @ 400 for 30 mins.
Quote:
fall apart awesome

They give me shivers when they bounce around, buckled up or draggin' on the ground, I like big....Joe Walsh
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2004, 07:04 AM   #12
CinCity25
Got Wood.

While we don't cook much brisket up here we have done the boiling method with pork quite a bit.....just dip the bag in the boiling water for a few minutes(depending on how much you've got in the bag) until it's warmed enough.....find it the best way to heat it up, stays tender and juicy.

The Original Pit-Bitch of the North
What Have You Been Smokin'?
Guelph, ON Canada
CinCity25 is offline   Reply With Quote