Prepping spareribs for gig

• Thread starter Weiss Mountain Smoke
  • Start date
W

Weiss Mountain Smoke

Hi folks -

For those of you who do spares, how do you prep them when doing medium to large quantities? We have found that getting that membrane off of the backside of the rack gets pretty cumbersome when prepping larger orders. To put it in prespective, it took 2 of us ~2 hours to do 24 racks this past weekend.

Any thoughts or solutions on this? Thanks :thumb:

Leave the membranes on and just score them. They'll fall off after cooking.

36 slabs pulled membrane plus trimmed flap meat plus seasoned and put in rib racks. 1 person - 2 hours. You did 6 slabs per hour and I did 18 per hour. Less talking, plan it out better and don't take beer breaks or even coffee breaks.

And with all due respect to Steve when the membrane falls off so does the rub so there's virtually no flavor on the bottom side that usually hits your tongue first. It's my reputation on the line and I don't cut corners.

We soak ribs in vinegar and water 15 min membrane comes off easier. Take the extra time take them off.

I always remove membranes no matter the quantity. I also have been known to steer customers to BBs since I get them from Costco with the membrane already removed.

No problem Ford. I was of the same thought until I started cookin 50 + slabs a day. I find the membrane holds moisture for a better product.
Its also a matter of time vs. Profit when your doing large cooks.

There is no effect on the flavor?

No effect on flavor we talking 1 cup apple cider vinegar to a few gallons of water. We use bus trays for this 1/2 half water 1 cup vinegar soak about 15 mn.

36 slabs pulled membrane plus trimmed flap meat plus seasoned and put in rib racks. 1 person - 2 hours. You did 6 slabs per hour and I did 18 per hour. Less talking, plan it out better and don't take beer breaks or even coffee breaks.

And with all due respect to Steve when the membrane falls off so does the rub so there's virtually no flavor on the bottom side that usually hits your tongue first. It's my reputation on the line and I don't cut corners.

Thanks Ford. Sounds like we just need to bite the bullet and do the damn thing ... doing 36 racks next weekend so we will see.

I never pull mebranes for vending, the ribs hold much better. For catering, just get the butter knife and a roll of papertowels and put the head down and get to work. I cannot see it taking more than 2-3 minutes per rack.

I did 33 racks today in 1 hour and 55 minutes including cleanup. Now I cook full spares but that's just a 30 second cut anyway. Here's what I did.

Used 4' rolling table. Put down a Smokey Mountain cutting board and then put an FE rib rack next to it. Pulled out 3 packs of spares and put then on the counter beside me. Opened one and arranged the 3 ribs at the back of the cutting board with the bone side up and the bones facing me. Then took the top one and trimmed off the flap meat, removed the membrane and trimmed off the loin meat on the other side if needed. Put them bone side down under the 2 remaining racks and started on #2. Same for 3rd then pulled all three onto the board facing the left or right. Used a red cup to sprinkle rub then patted down with both hands. Turned and seasoned bone side. then put in rack and started on 2nd package. When 9 slabs in the rack rolled the table up to the FE door and slid it into the FE with minimal lifting (I have a cracked rib), got 2nd rib rack and 3 more packs of ribs. Started at 6:55 and was a walking into the house at 8:50 for a shower.

They are now all chilled down and ready for vending Friday and Saturday. I figure they need about 2 hours at 275 in the FE to heat up and finish cooking so they fall off the bone nearly. Will sauce in the last hour with Cattleman's mixed with some honey. Sell 16 slabs (64 pieces of 3) Friday and hopefully the same Saturday. and be happy with that number of ribs plus 400 or so pork sammies and 200 chicken breast sammies and some dogs and beans. And nothing takes more than 3 hours on site to go from fridge/freezer to customer.

Back