Grease Fire (Black Soot) HELP!

Dylan's Dad

Knows what a fatty is.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I just finished up my 1st Fattie and had plenty of coals left, so I thru on some drummies and opened the intake a little.

When I came back out I had a small grease fire and black smoke billowing out of my new CG Duo. Now my perfectly seasoned Duo has a film of black soot all over the inside. :mad2:

What's the best approach to get this off. Oven cleaner/degreaser??? Take it all the way to metal and season over again?:confused: Help!

Fattie Pics forthcoming. :-D

:thumb: Here I was getting all worked up over nothing then. It has a terrible smell almost like the paint was burning off but I can see no evidence of that. If soap and water will get me back in business I'm a happy man!

Thanks!

I had a grease fire problem with my bugers this week. The bacon really got things going, I had a little char on the burgers

We get them on occasion at comps from the high heat smokes...just be sure to shut it down AFTER you take the meat off...you don't want any off smells from the grease ruining your Q. You can always toss it back on once the flames subside...the smell doesn't stick around long...:cool:

I don't know what your cooker looks like, but you could certainly go a very long ways by spraying liberally with Castrol purple cleaner, letting it soak for about 20 minutes, then pressure washing, followed of course by a warming fire to dry everything and then a complete reseason.

I would decide if that were warranted by the way the inside of the cooker smells. If it doesn't smell really great when you open it up cold, clean it and reseason it. If you're willing to buy a can of PAM or other spray oil, it doesn't take long at all.

SPB

Hmmm, I have too much grease in my WSM pans and really don't want to wash them. I was planning on INTENTIONALLY setting it on fire to clean out the grease. We have opposite problems! :grin:

Back