Smoked chicken wings and hot sauce?

Ninesixteen

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I have a question for those of you guys that smoke your wings. Do you guys leave them sauce them after you cook them? I am talking about tossing them in hot sauce after they cook. And if you do sauce them, do the different tastes contrast each other and take away from either the chicken or the sauce?

I put a spicy rub on at least an hour before they go on the grill indirect. Then, about five minutes before I pull them off I baste with a commercial wing sauce. I don't add any wood for wings as they take too much smoke - quality lump does the trick for me.

I rub them the night before and then start the smoke. Then, after an hour, I dip them in the sauce and smoke for another 15 minutes. One more dip in the sauce, flip and 15 minutes on the smoke. That said, I do them an hour and a half total at 350 indirect.

I toss my smoked wings in Franks wing sauce AFTER they are done smoking, I also rub them up before smoking, wonderful flavor. Reminds me, I feel the need

I too rub them before smoking them with apple wood, then using the recipe from the bottle, toss them in Frank's hot sauce.

I send them up to my daughter at school by the ton... OK, actually 10 pounds at a time....

I buy them frozen at Sam's, dump them into a cooler, add a large bottle of hot sauce, and shake... Next day I get the Lang fired up (using lump and cherry) and up to temp... Another shake of the cooler and put them on the cooker until they are done.

I then put them on a 1/2 sheet pan with parchment paper and put them into the freezer. After that it's just a matter of cryo-sucking them and to UPS for shipping....

I recommend Franks as well. The amount of time I have for preparation and what's on hand determines what else goes on them. If you like Frank's as much as I do it's on sale if you have a Kroger nearby.

I stocked up for the winter:

img9050v.jpg

I really really like it! :-D

Buffalo Pit Wings
Cook wings naked till they stop squealing.
Mix about equal parts Franks Original Red Hot and butter.
Add a dash of celery salt, splash of worsh.
Put wings and sauce in a bucket. Cover. Shake.

im with nice guy....well kinda
yardbird them up
smoke til cooked proper internal
toss in red hot, butter and dry italian dressing mix.
back on if u dont want them so wet

It hardly matters.Don't sweat it.

I've done them all sorts of ways and they always turn out good.

My favorite method is to marinade or brine them overnight before smoking and then finish them in a cast iron skillet for a minute or two to crisp up the skins before tossing them in some sauce.

I sauce after they're smoked, then toss on the grill to char em up a bit.

I did these with a coat of Jamaican Firewalk, no wood, just Royal Oak for about 2 hours at 350 dome on my egg. Until they got to 165. I then poured sauce in bowl and added the wings in and coated them with some Anchor Bar mild sauce. Back to the smoker for about 10 min. Not bad, sauce wasnt hot enough for me. My preferred method is to smoke them then drop in the fryer to crisp up.

111009wings.jpg

I do mine what we call 30-20-10 Wings.

Fire roasted on the Egg for 30 minutes at 350f. Flip and go another 20 minutes. Toss in sauce and back on for 10 more minutes, just so the sauce crisps back up a bit.

1 part wing sauce and 1/2 part melted butter ALWAYS does the trick for me :)

Mike

Back