MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #16
Rick's Tropical Delight

i just typed up a long response, but it got farked somehow when i posted it!

bottom line, don't do a 700 degree sear till our gasket and gasket adhesive is 'set' by 4 or 5 400-450 degree max temp cooks. cook your steaks just like you would on your weber and monitor doneness with an internal meat thermometer.

i'm taking a nap

Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #17
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I find that the t-rex method works great for steaks. The ribeye I cooked that way was the best steak I have ever tasted. The Naked Whiz is a great resource for ceramic cookers and has the method on there.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/trexsteak.htm

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 06-21-2008 at 01:49 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 AM   #18
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

I've used the T rex method but would'nt use it with 2" thick ribeyes. I would shoot for about a 400 degree dome temp and put the well done requested ones on first, mediums next and so on. Shoot for all being done at the same time.

Paul
milehigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2008, 01:44 PM   #19
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh View Post
I've used the T rex method but would'nt use it with 2" thick ribeyes. I would shoot for about a 400 degree dome temp and put the well done requested ones on first, mediums next and so on. Shoot for all being done at the same time.

Paul
trex will work fine for any steak thickness. thicker steak = longer roast period.

any way on the egg is fine though

Old 06-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #20
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I cooked a couple of 1 1/2 thick strips yesterday. Got a nice 450 degree fire going and had the stock grid on top of the ring, then my adjustable rig on top of that with a 1/2 grid on top of the rig. I cooked the steaks for 5 minutes on a side on the stock grid and then moved my steak to the 1/2 grid to "rest" while my wifes steak cooked for another minute on a side. Mine was medium rare and my wife's was medium.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #21
Brauma

Great thread. Lots of great info.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2008, 07:55 PM   #22
MostlySmoke
On the road to being a farker

What is the T-Rex method?
MostlySmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #23
digger bear
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post

now i don't have a belly button!

Man, where are you going to keep your lint?

Old 06-21-2008, 08:34 PM   #24
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear View Post
LMAO.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2008, 08:52 PM   #25
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight

now i don't have a belly button!

You are so lucky I missed that earlier!!!

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2008, 09:23 PM   #26
Rick's Tropical Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger bear View Post
good question! i reckon in the corner of my pocket!

in my belly
used to be a hole
where will the lint go

i have a photo if you are really interested

Old 06-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #27
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's Tropical Delight View Post
i just typed up a long response, but it got farked somehow when i posted it!

bottom line, don't do a 700 degree sear till our gasket and gasket adhesive is 'set' by 4 or 5 400-450 degree max temp cooks. cook your steaks just like you would on your weber and monitor doneness with an internal meat thermometer.

i'm taking a nap
A little late on my part, took the EGG to 650º on the dome Therm. Put the Steaks on for 90 seconds, Opened the lid to flip and the gasket pulled away from the left side lower, across the Ribeyes, smelled like Chit and dropped gunks of black tar into and on the cooking grate and fire ring.

I did not see anything in the instructions advising of care of the gasket. I am so Bummed! Now I cannot really do anything until new gasket comes in, 7-10 days, The dealer does not stock them. WHY!?

Nothing like the smell of Smoked gasket to enhance your Steak!

Melted all around the upper and lower 1/2's. Will be talking to the MotherShip on Monday. I think this has been a problem with the XLG and maybe the others, I need to check on a Gasket called NOMEX!!! I think I know why they call it this.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #28
CaptGrumpy
is one Smokin' Farker

I just went through replacing the gasket on one of my large eggs and had 3 cooks on it before I forgot about seasoning the gasket for full cook and did a pizza and had a disaster on the 3rd pie as gasket came melting off it's adhesive strip.
Definitely call the Mother hip and order a nomex gasket and you will have it in a couple of days.

Chit happens!

[COLOR=red]Red Thermapen & Red Guru DigiQII[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkgreen]Large Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 25MAR08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR=darkgreen]Small Big Green Egg[/COLOR] [SIZE=1][COLOR=yellowgreen]adopted 01JUN08[/COLOR][/SIZE]
CaptGrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2008, 02:58 AM   #29
Rick's Tropical Delight

aw, man!

sorry about your gasket, but don't feel too bad because it happens to a lot of people. i know that probably doesn't help much.

the naked whiz has a lot of info on melting gaskets and gasket adhesive coming loose here

Old 06-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #30
smokinbadger
Full Fledged Farker

I can definitely recommend the Rutland gasket replacement, as described on the Naked Whiz site. I did this several months back and have been very impressed with the quality of sealing I get as well as the durability so far.

With regard to keeping the fire from going out, this is one big advantage I see to the Stoker system. I normally light the lump in several locations with the mapp gas torch and run with the vent wide open and the top off. After 15 minutes or so, temps are up around 300-350. For low and slow, I swap in the Stoker blower and put the daisy wheel top on with the slots open. I have never had to touch the daisy wheel vents with the Stoker blower running, and the temps stay within a degree or two of the target. My longest burn so far in the egg was a test burn a couple of weeks back which ran 35 hours at 225F grill temp before I shut it down.

Klose Widebody MasterChef * XL BGE * WSM * Weber Performer * La Caja China * Cookshack 055 *
Big Stainless Gasser *
smokinbadger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bge