Grease Fire in the Lang

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I had a load of meat on my Lang yesterday and all was going great.
The Pork Butts came off and were perfect. The brisket came off and again I was happy with the results. All that was left was the two 20+ pound shoulders.

Each shoulder was at 175 degrees. The pit temp was dipping a bit so
I put another log on and settled in my chair to enjoy the silence and a cold beer. After a few mins. I see a thick ugly smoke coming out of the stack. I got up because something wasn't right. I open the door on the pit and pulled the shoulders off as I didn't want that ugly thick Gray smoke messing up my shoulders. Then all of a sudden the interior of the pit bursts into flame!:eek::eek: I shut the door quickly and saw that there were flames shooting out of the stack like crazy. This is the first time that this has ever happened to me so I shut down the vents and cut off all the oxygen and the fire died.

I checked my grease valve and it was open and the bucket proved that it was flowing out. I guess some must has pooled and didn't move.

Has this ever happend to any of you? Should I have done somthing else?

Yeah....My chargriller caught fire a few weeks ago, it was not setting level and the grease backed up on the fire box side. Might want to see if you're setting level.

Yes, on my Lang once, the drain trench got dammed up with crap and backed up the grease. even with the nose of the pit tipped down some this can happen. Keep your plate under your grates clean and the trench clear of all debrie. you will avoid this from happing again.

Scotty d

When I was in Texas for the BBQ cook off in April we had our smoker pit trailer not tilted enough for the greas to flow in the opposite direction of the fire. Well, we passed out drunk and sure as chit ruin a whole batch of ribs.
My dad nearly popped a vein out of his head.

We had the bandera ignite at a comp once filled with chix thighs... opened it up, flames everywhere... crisped up the skin nicly tho.. pretty sure we placed with it lol!

Yeah....My chargriller caught fire a few weeks ago, it was not setting level and the grease backed up on the fire box side. Might want to see if you're setting level.

I had the same thing happen on my Pitmaster:oops: , taught me to check the level from now on.

Hasnt happened to me on my Lang yet...thank God. Just the thought of having a bunch of food on it and having it happen gives me the chills. Think I'm gonna run some kind of a snake down my grease drain just in case. Nobody was around with a camera was there?? That would be my luck...:roll:

My cew had a pit fire in the Texa Legend that nearly cost me a $40K smoker......Morons didn't know to shut the air off to it.....they were cooking 1K lbs of legf quarters at the time.......needless to say they ruined them all, as well as burned on of their arms pretty badly....can be serious!

Back