• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

OK, northern folks...

ChetPunisher

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What do you guys do for smoking in the winter months? My CharGriller will not cut it. Do you smoke more in the fall months and freeze it or do you actually get out and smoke? Just thinking ahead...

PWA lives in North Pole, Alaska. he has posted a couple threads where he was cooking in -40 and -50 degrees in uninsulated ugly drum smokers.

Time to build yourself a UDS before it becomes too cold for you to build it!

I use my UDS all year long. Sometimes I need a wind block to even out temps., but that's not just a winter time thing either.

Our Minnesota winters are what determined my ceramic cooker purchase. I grill and smoke as much in the middle of the winter as I do in the middle of the summer!

Before I moved to New Jersey and bought an insulated smoker, I used to use a welding blanket which I then covered with two moving blankets over the top of my horizontal. These would protect the cooking chamber from the cold temperatures, lake effects snow, and high winds.

You can't let a little change in weather stop you from cooking outside. I can recall grilling burgers, sausage, and steaks during snowstorms as well as many overnight smokes.

Weather is only an adversity, how you overcome it is what defines your love of the craft..

Much like you I have a Chargriller smokin pro, and in the cold winter months in Northern Michigan, it ate logs like crazy and the constant vent tending in the winter stunk...

I bought a Chargriller Akorn specifically for that reason.. I smoked on it all winter last year and on Christmas did a turkey and it was 8 degrees when I started. It used no noticeable difference in fuel from summer and chugged a steady temp all day..

The Akorn paired with the Maverick ET 732 allows me to BBQ all winter while sitting on my couch and only once in a blue moon having to go out and make a vent adjustment..

I have a Stumps insulated cooker so it works just fine all year long. That is one of the reasons I got the Stumps.

My wsm was pretty good as long as it wasn't windy. My backwoods actually ran better in subzero temps I think.

My goal is to have a Kamodo Joe before late fall. I am going to really need to figure out the appropriate angle to hit the wife up with this idea considering this will be my fourth cooking item!!!

^^^ Thinking I'll be saving my pennies for one. I'm burning way too much wood and lump in the Char Griller... Time to switch I think.

^^^ Thinking I'll be saving my pennies for one. I'm burning way too much wood and lump in the Char Griller... Time to switch I think.

To be honest I enjoy feeding splits better than I do cooking on the Kamado.. But 80 percent of duties are now handed to the akorn, because it is more set it and forget it... In the winter the Smokin pro is delegated to the shed, but today she is getting fired up for chicken.

As for "switch" keep your offset as long as you have a reliable source for wood. You never know when you need more space and its nice to have different options for cooking different things, plus you do not have a ton invested in it and resale price sucks..

for me gasser stays for the Mrs. She and I hate meat on the stove and grill all year. It is quick, easy and no fuss for her.

The WSM 22.5 is going to be my spring/summer/fall toy to use when I have time to burn or larger groups.

Gonna drop the OTG eventually (booooo) for a ceramic.

All reading over past week has led me to the big joe.

I know most hobbies are live and learn, however, wish that I wasnt so affraid to spend the cash up front. Now I know that the ceramic is the right machine for me and need to save up for it.

The KJ will be my go to. My one stop shop for Q. Searing, indirect, low and slow, and regular grilling. 24" grill will give tons of room for the 4 of us I cook for 99% of the time.

Back