• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Cuts in Creekstone brisket?

nevermind.. I re-read and saw you bought them at a store... Creekstone sells briskets online for a $hit-pot of money.... but you get what you pay for.

Podge ,I have used those also but the last one I got that way wasn't much better either Lots of extra fat .

Sorry if off topic, but what store in WI carries creekstone?

Niemuth's Southside Market in Appleton.

I emailed creekstone asking if I could expect the same quality picking them up locally vs. buying online a few weeks ago and was told for a comp order online because they have different criteria for those. Besides the gashes and small size the quality of the local ones was great...good eating and much cheaper than online.

I have only had a problem a couple of times and they have always sent me out a new one that day, but I order direct from them online.

Ours are ordered into a meat distributor in the eastern market in detroit . Have had slices in pretty much all of them but have been able to work around them.

I guess the part that upsets me about this stuff is that its rated as prime which I know is the carcass grade on the animal.But we are paying a premium for that grade and really should get that representative piece. I cook a lot of these for friends and partys ,work functions etc.Bet I have cooked 100 briskets this year . 98% have been CF primes.This weekend I will be cooking something else due to this issue as I couldn't get down to Madison for more .
Good luck to every one competing this weekend .

Yeah I agree completely and would not be so understanding if I had ordered mine online. It seems they need to hire some guys that take pride in their work!!

Been thinking about that gash. If they remove the brisket with the quarter hanging... They need to look for a short guy. They may need to lower it or get him something to stand on.

If you use the knife to steady yourself....... Okay, it could be an alky or someone who does not care, but it seems systematic, not random. Really doubt that it is only carelessness.

It has to do with when they are cutting the chuck off of the hanging carcass, the stroke of the knife, if you are really interested in maximizing the chuck, drags across the brisket in that spot where all briskets have that slice. The chuck is cut to be maximized, especially now that the chuck tender and under-blade cuts are selling at a premium.

It doesn't have to be, but, briskets are still an afterthought to the market.

I trimmed a CAB last night that had a 3" long through cut in the 'thin' end of the flat. It actually just missed the turn-in portion, but all the way through? On a side note, the brisket had great flexibility in the cryovac.

It has to do with when they are cutting the chuck off of the hanging carcass, the stroke of the knife, if you are really interested in maximizing the chuck, drags across the brisket in that spot where all briskets have that slice. The chuck is cut to be maximized, especially now that the chuck tender and under-blade cuts are selling at a premium.

It doesn't have to be, but, briskets are still an afterthought to the market.

That is when they are making the cut, not the why. There is a natural seam the are cutting to. There is no advantage to cutting in to the brisket. I guess that if they are working faster than they should, it is quicker to over cut than to follow the contour.

HFoS, the why is because they just don't give a rat's patootie about the brisket. I would bet that most of them assume it is headed to burger no matter what. Anyhting that steps away from "the norm" is just a "don't care" item of work.

I asked one of the local butchers I go to regularly what happens to all of the points they take off the packer briskets. He said they grind them up. So, I asked him to save me a couple, I would buy them whole. When I went in, assuming they would be around the cost of the premium ground beef, he said $8.99 a pound. WTH?! He said that the manager felt that grinding it was easier, and that he didn't want to hassle with saving a few points. When I talked to the owner, I mentioned that I felt oit was cheaper to sell me the whole point, than grind it up and extra labor, he said that it was special handling. B.S.

I did get a reply from Courtney this morning after I re sent the original. She said she replied Thursday .It must have just got lost in the shuffle. I checked the junk mail its not there either. She basically said that she was sorry to hear about my problems . Here is what she said about the product shipped for retail.

Unfortunately, not all our briskets that are shipped out to retailers or foodservice distributors are truly usable for competition grade briskets.
Then she went on to give the reasons for ordering the internet ones they sell for comps. She also said she was passing on the email to the production folks.

Sorry for the large print I must have pushed a wrong button .Not much with computers.

Last edited:
That is weird. We sell Creekstone Prime Packers and have never had one with any cuts, gashes or sloppy butchering that I know of. I'll ask my clients and see if they've noticed it before to make sure I haven't sold briskets that they can't use for competition (though I assume they'd say something and we'd swap them for a new one if there was even a small cut).

That is weird. We sell Creekstone Prime Packers and have never had one with any cuts, gashes or sloppy butchering that I know of. I'll ask my clients and see if they've noticed it before to make sure I haven't sold briskets that they can't use for competition (though I assume they'd say something and we'd swap them for a new one if there was even a small cut).[/QUOTE

The manager where I buy them has started asking other frequent buyers if they have had issues and its apparent they have . I did like the replacement brand they had when they were out .I asked if he could get them on a regular basis. He is checking.

Follow up on this issue - The last 2 cases of comp briskets I've gotten have had a little more deckle fat left on the flat but no gashes. It looks like the cutters are leaving a little flat fat so they don't pierce the flat.

Back