• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ok the stars are gone and I can breath...

Chopjaw

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I'm getting ready for a BBQ tomorrow. Last week I went to the butcher to get a perfect butt to Q tomorrow along with a tenderloin and I have some chicken wings for appetizer. I was in the kitchen getting them ready for the rub and sit over night for the burn tomorrow morning. I get a phone call from work and my 10yr old daughter asks me if she can help. So I said yes, I need the chicken wings washed with water. She has seen me do this many, many, many times and has helped with my supervision. I always wash my chicken off with clean water before I rub it and cook. (Yes you prolly guessed right) I get off the phone and go into the kitchen and ask how everything's going. She tells me that cute little voice "Daddy I wanted them to be extra clean for the BBQ tomorrow." She washed the chicken, Loin, butt with soapy water... To be honest I don't know what happened next but I'm sure panic set in along with anger. The wife comes in to see what's the commotion is. Not sure what I said to her (I probably sounded like Darren Mcgavan from "A Christmas Story") but I’m sure it wasn’t good. Not only my daughter angry with me but the wife is not talking. This is prolly a good think cause of how mad I am…. They both left and did not tell me where they went. I'm sure I'll find out once I look at the bills.....

I ran cold water over the meat many times and have not smelled soap on either butt or loin.... I cut about an inch off the end of the loin and cooked it. No soap taste...

So I guess that I'm going to move forward with the Q just because of the money already spent and the fact that I don't smell any soap or taste.

Any thoughts?

Hope you don't mind but I did get a chuckle after reading this. Look at it this way you have the cleanest meat in the neighborhood. :wink:

I think you will be fine, I say push ahead. Besides you already did a fry test. Me thinks you will owe your daughter an apology at the least, the wife will get over it, maybe. Good luck!

I'm a bit of the opposite personality-wise. I probably would have laughed and thanked her. But I'm a bit strange.

I can understand getting angry but you might want to apologize to your caring little helper and explain the error of her ways for next time. Sounds like she just wanted to do an extra good job for you. (After you happily pay the bills of course.)

Hopefully the cook comes out OK.

Oh yea, me and the kiddo will be fine. I'll just taking her golfing at the course of her choice. Life will be normal again. NOW the wife, well she knows who pays the bills.......LOL

Actually, that's pretty cute.

I think the meat is OK as long as you rinsed it thoroughly.

That's a great story - will make a great memory one day. Bless her heart for wanting to do a super job for her daddy's BBQ!

Cute story. If I had a nickle for every time my sons wanted to 'help' me do something and it didn't turn out the way I wanted, I'd have at least a buck twenty. And I'd have more for everytime I couldn't bite my tongue.

Hug 'em when they get home!

that's funny now but I can understand how at the time it could make you a little upset. I think it will be fine the quick wash wouldn't be able to do any penetration of the meat but rinsing it off good a couple times will work, you tested it and didn't taste anything so that's good.

Reminds me of when I came into the downstairs of the house to see my then 2 year old coming in with the garden hose and my 4 year old outside trying to turn the faucet on so they could "wash the room". This happened to be the room where the stereo and TV were. Luckily his little hands weren't strong enough to turn the faucet before I got to him. It was one of those deals where you have to explain to them why they shouldn't do what they were doing while trying really hard not to laugh.

Life is way too short to get upset about things that really don't matter. Eating soap
wont hurt you; you might fart some bubbles for a while...but it wont hurt you.

Things are easy when we know exactly how to do them. I've tried to teach people some
cooking techniques and they would watch me do something....I would then let them
try to do what I had just shown them. They just can't seem to do it. I now teach
people by showing them, and explaining exactly what I am doing; then I hand them
the skillet (or whatever) and guide them through the motions.

What we do...and what other people see; aren't always the same thing.

Life is way too short to get upset about things that really don't matter. Eating soap

Things are easy when we know exactly how to do them. I've tried to teach people some
cooking techniques and they would watch me do something....I would then let them
try to do what I had just shown them. They just can't seem to do it. I now teach
people by showing them, and explaining exactly what I am doing; then I hand them

Couldn't have said it any better!!!:thumb:

Yea I do agree and well said.

One thing I forgot to add was this BBQ is for a HUGE client from Alabama who is coming to San Diego and hand picked our company to do the work. During our meetings on Tues he said that he wanted some good BBQ while in San Diego. Well, there really isnt any. So I offered up my back yard and to do the Q and he pushed his flights back to Sunday. So this is a really big thing. It could set us up for many years to come. So thats why I was so upset. Normally, its not big deal and I would of laughed about it and dug something else out of the freezer.

Thanks.

Where do you get your meat in Chula Vista?

I am a golfer also and used to teach at a golf school.

I play Chula Vista a lot and also Eagle Crest.

Where do you get your meat in Chula Vista?

I am a golfer also and used to teach at a golf school.

I play Chula Vista a lot and also Eagle Crest.

She will pick RiverWalk I'm sure and I'll pick Coronado... I got the meat up in Ramona at Bishers meats. http://www.bishersmeat.com/ They are pretty good. We have a job going on up there so I drove by there a couple of times and decided to check it out. They have a good selection and they know what they are doing.

She will pick RiverWalk I'm sure and I'll pick Coronado... I got the meat up in Ramona at Bishers meats. http://www.bishersmeat.com/ They are pretty good. We have a job going on up there so I drove by there a couple of times and decided to check it out. They have a good selection and they know what they are doing.

Thanks that meat place looks very good. Never heard of it before
but I may stop in the Poway location one day.

On Tuesday I am playing the Golf Club at Rancho California formerly
known as the SCGA Members Course in Murrieta one of my favorite
courses.

Back