MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #61
Hoss
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by katan View Post
Wow I am really surprised at the level of the escalation. Does the smoke really linger that long?

In Colorado, near the front range, the seat backs are insanely close. Not high five from windows close, but getting there. So there isn't much room to absorb the smoke.

I billow the smoke like crazy lately, and I feel good that every neighbor would at least understand that this is no less than the freedom they could exercise in their backyard.

I personally think a person who chooses smoke as their point of argument has failed to find something better to argue about, and those are many choices.
I agree to a point.Ever wonder why we have fences? To keep the neighbors out.Good fences make good neighbors.Noise and smoke do not honor those boundaries.Smoke offends some,just as weedeaters/leaf blowers and lawn mowers offend/ disturb others,when used at certain times of the day/ evening.The price you pay for living in a place that you chose to live.There are always options.I grew up in a rural environment.Lots of development going on there.Do I like it? No.I can deal with it,buy the land to keep it from being developed or move.Pretty simple.Most do not see it that way.They buy a lot in a subdivision and want to dictate what happens on the 500 acres that surround them without the responsibility of purchase,property taxes,etc.We moved here because it was in the country we want no more houses here!Fun times.Rant over.
Hoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-11-2020, 11:50 PM   #62
Eads Ranch
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Host a Brethren Bash?
This is the best idea. Second is set his car on fire.
[URL="http://aekellerfoundation.org"]http://aekellerfoundation.org[/URL]
Eads Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 05:47 AM   #63
Bob Wiley
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
Or hire the Russians and the Ukrainians to dig up dirt on him. Worked for Trump!

Another one who doesn’t understand where to find News and Politics.
You need some ketchup.
According to the National Ketchup Advisory Board ketchup has natural mellowing agents. Keeps high strung people from chasing shiny objects.

Me on the other hand, I'll just put my feet up and enjoy a big slice of good ol' bebop-a-rebop rhubarb pie.
Bob Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 05:56 AM   #64
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wiley View Post
You need some ketchup.
According to the National Ketchup Advisory Board ketchup has natural mellowing agents. Keeps high strung people from chasing shiny objects.

Me on the other hand, I'll just put my feet up and enjoy a big slice of good ol' bebop-a-rebop rhubarb pie.
No Bob. You need to read the rules of the forum. Keep it on topic in Q Talk.

Ketchup, Rhubarb, and the Bidens....not on topic. Make a productive comment or keep it to yourself.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 07:58 AM   #65
bgross88
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : B

I think he's mad at you because you're a Bruins fan.

I can't imagine having a-hole neighbors like that. We have one in our neighborhood, but he is several houses away and we never see/deal with him.

My immediate neighbors on each side LOVE when they see TBS rolling from my backyard. They know they are getting some of the extras when I'm done cooking. Every time I cook they say it smells great and ask what's on the menu.

Old 02-12-2020, 08:41 AM   #66
Bob Wiley
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlsportster View Post
No Bob. You need to read the rules of the forum. Keep it on topic in Q Talk.

Ketchup, Rhubarb, and the Bidens....not on topic. Make a productive comment or keep it to yourself.
Didn't realize I was talking to someone so utterly humorless.

Sorry I got your nickers in such a wad.
Bob Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 08:49 AM   #67
NickTheGreat
is Blowin Smoke!

I have a friend who has a similar neighbor. Not about smoking, but just everything in general. He called the DNR out after my friend fertilized his yard thinking it damaged his trees.

He's trying to be nice but he's wearing thin. He's trying to avoid fighting petty with petty. Call the DNR on me? Well your sump pump is within 6 ft of the property line . . .

My advice would be to talk to him and offer some meat. And maybe try to set up some patio ventilation. It won't work, and then I'm out of ideas!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2020, 09:02 AM   #68
JohnH12
Full Fledged Farker

I'm not sure what CC&R's are but that's one of the reasons I hate HOA's. After making sure there are no rules that could go against you I would go aggressive and stand your ground. The more I know what upsets a person the more likely I am to do it when they are around! People like him are never pleased so don't even try. In fact I would run a separate smoker with the nastiest wood I could find just to let him know I'm here!
Anything else I could say about people like him would be political and the mods would throw the book at me.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2020, 09:05 AM   #69
ferdelious
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

Who doesn't like the smell of BBQ?? I love when I walk outside and smell the fire of some backyard BBQ. Unless your smoke is way out of control and not a nice thin blue I don't see why you should move your equipment or stop all together.

Old 02-12-2020, 09:21 AM   #70
Richard_
is One Chatty Farker

If you make adjustments with your life to appease them , they will find something else you're doing that upsets them , it will me never ending !
Weber 18.5 R.I.P.
Smokey Joe
Treager 070
Traeger 075
UDS
Brinkmann Cimarron
Pink Thermapen
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 09:22 AM   #71
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Mod Note:

I removed several posts containing political content, including a couple of posts that quoted the political content.

Please use the News & Politics forum to discuss the political aspects of this.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 09:50 AM   #72
orangeblood
Full Fledged Farker

unless there is a prevailing breeze and he is down wind and very close, it will be hard for him to make a credible complaint about "smoke." he might not like the "smell" of bbq smoke but in order to make an actionable complaint to the HOA he'll have to prove it is something unreasonable, or resulting from a commercial activity or something related to an activity out of the norm for the neighborhood.

maybe reach out to the hoa president and unofficially make him aware of your neighbor's request. show him wind/weather stats for your locale from NOAA, the fact that you smoke/bbq with non commercial equipment and you arent doing anything out of the ordinary. if there is something you can do to show you tried to accomodate the neighbor (ie the smoke draft, making sure you dont use green sticks, anything) tell him that also so that he knows you are trying to be a reasonable new member of the neighborhood.

giving the hoa pres a heads up might have benefits when/if the neighbor files a complaint. the pres and board might be disposed to reject the complaint. it is a lot better to avoid an issue with the hoa than than try to "win" a dispute with the hoa.
orangeblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 10:08 AM   #73
dward51
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like the HOA is already tired of him too. That may work in your favor as I'm sure at some point he will try to get a new rule made about outdoor smoking. I don't know how good of an idea it would be to fire them all up just to aggravate him either, that just gives him ammunition to take to the HOA board. I would bet he starts taking photos of the smoke based on the cameras being set up to record the kids before.

In the end you may just have to tell him to "F" off and give him a "no trespassing" warning to keep him from coming over and bitching.

Oh, also make sure you know the HOA rules and county/city ordinances and are in compliance. Code Enforcement cops are worse than dealing with the HOA.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 10:12 AM   #74
Stlsportster
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Parental Assigned Label

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgirl View Post
Host a Brethren Bash?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eads Ranch View Post
This is the best idea. Second is set his car on fire.
Actually...host a neighborhood party. Feed everyone. Even invite the guy behind you. Once the entire gang likes it, it will be an annual event...hosted by the association!

That would be total karma. Then they can’t complain when you do it any other time. Who would listen? I’d even invite the local police dept.
Stlsportster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2020, 11:11 AM   #75
lunchman
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dom

I would make certain you've read through all the association rules and regulations to ensure you're in compliance and he doesn't have a leg to stand on. As you mentioned, he seems to be the type who complains about everything and is responsible for the majority of complaints to the HOA, so if he complains about your grilling there isn't a thing he can do about it if you're within the rules.

It's a PITA to have such an annoying neighbor but as long as you're abiding by association guidelines he can pound sand.