MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:34 AM   #1
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Default Poor Unloved Mini WSM

Been working from home- like many others. Thought I'd do some cleaning up in the garage. I found my old Mini tucked off to the side and looking sad. It was all dusty and still had some remnants of charcoal in the bottom from some previous cook from back... heck- could not remember when.

I have a few smokers and a couple of grills. The mini is probably my favorite of them all - it was my first smoker and it was what I call "right sized"...back then.

It's just so damn small. When I started, it was just right for the wife and me. a rack or ribs, or a chicken or a butt. Now my kids ask "if you are running a smoker can I bring over x, y or z?" I'd look over at the mini- all eager and raring to go - just to have put it away for a cooker with a larger grate. This happened over and over and the mini just got pushed further and further from the "ready" line.

Until today- Gonna clean it up- and set some fire in the basket. Maybe do a nice fatty.
If they kids call and ask if I'm firing up a smoker- I'll just say "not today- why don't you bring something over tomorrow?"

Old 04-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #2
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

When Smokeninja goes back to working/traveling. Steve is going to borrow my mini. To give it a tryout.

I only use mine a few times/yr. Every year for smaller cooks and travel.
My one SIL still doesn't want a larger cooker/smoker yet. He crams 3 yard birds at a time in his regularly. He does cement work. And cooks for his crew 1 to 2 times/week. Sets it up in the morning, lets it run till lunch time.
Besides using it at home.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #3
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Back when I made it, I added studs for -and added a 2nd grate. I think I used that setup one time- did 2 spatchcocked chickens- they turned out ok. The grates being the same size, it was a bit of a pain to get them in and out. (I think the real 14 WSM has a smaller diameter on the lower grate just for this reason?) And that bottom grate definitely had to take more heat from the coal basket 4 or 5 inches below. I never put a thermo on the 2 levels to see what the difference was.

May have to try it again. After I get done with this fatty, that is.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #4
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

Pics or it didn't happen

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-04-2020, 09:00 AM   #5
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Fired it up, cleaned it out then I sat mine in the alley beside the dumpster. Gone in 30 minutes
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #6
twofishy4u
Knows what a fatty is.

We had 15 gallon barrels at my old job. You cut the bottom off and they slide into a smokey joe bottom perfect and the lid fits snug on top. 2 14" in grates and you just made a mini wsm. Only issue is adding coals. I could get 6-8hrs on lump. I still have one it's been at least 5 years since it was fired.
twofishy4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2020, 09:45 AM   #7
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Gonna have to re rack and shoot again.

"Hon- what happened to the chub of Jimmy Dean?"

"you ate it two days ago when I made queso dip"

best laid plans... yadda yadda.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:35 AM   #8
huskerfan1200
On the road to being a farker

Cleaned mine up earlier this week. Did a couple rib cooks. Super efficient on fuel, easy to get/keep temp and shut down. Kids are both out of house, so it perfect size for me.

Last edited by huskerfan1200; 06-19-2020 at 11:30 AM..
huskerfan1200 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2020, 10:36 AM   #9
tenpenny_05
Full Fledged Farker

This post hits close to home. My mini sits in the shed unused most of the time. But any time I go to use it I'm reminded of how good of a little cooker it is. I can't think of a smoker that produces better chicken or ribs. I made mine with a second shelf and can get 3 racks on if I cut them in half.

Old 04-04-2020, 04:44 PM   #10
Gimmethecash
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Steven

You could get a fatty, a chub of bologna, and some spam on that mini...
Camp Chef FTG600
Cookshack Amerique
2 x Sous Vide Supreme
Minipack MV31X
Gimmethecash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2020, 08:13 PM   #11
gtr

I love my mini, but I never use it. Makes no sense - its a great little cooker.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2020, 08:49 PM   #12
Giantswede
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Rod

I don’t know why but my little homemade WSM Mini made the best pork butt I’ve ever made. It took a little more fiddling than my 18” to keep at temp but it was worth it.
Giantswede is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #13
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I gave my mini to a brethren. I never used it. Great little cooker though. Fits more than you would think.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2020, 08:04 AM   #14
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

I know it will hold more food than you'd suspect. I just ran into issues when I'd schedule to do one Boston Butt- but a second would wind up in my fridge with a note "Dad, would you mind doing us one too?"

I may need to look into one of the 15 (16?) gallon mini uds builds. Made one for my dad to hang ribs- and it works pretty well. Cut the bottom out to stack onto the Smokey Joe Base - made him some beefier legs. Did have the issue where the base was sort of crimped- the fit was not the best and temp management was not as good as I'd like. If I do one- will leave the drum intact on the bottom a'la a standard UDS. I should have enough room for 2 butts- maybe.