Tamales

Bigdog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I am going to be making some tamales this week and I would like some suggestions on what meat I should use and how to prepare it. If anyone has any thoughts on this, I would be thankful.

Steve

Traditionally, tamales are made from scraping whatever meat can be found on a pig or cow head.

Forget that, just use pulled pork or chicken cooked up with some diced hot peppers , onions and such. Also forget the lard that most recipes call for. Instead, use good oil, butter or margarine; and less of it.

Mark,
I plan on using a pork butt. How would you suggest that I cook the butt, should I smoke it or bake it in the oven? The instructions suggest boiling it with onions and garlic. They say that this will keep it moist.

Steve

Definately smoking will be better. Once smoked, pull the pork. Then saute the onion & garlic & hot peppers. Then pressure cook the bones along with the sauted onion, garlic & hot peppers (not too hot, unless you know for sure your guests are all confirmed pepperheads). Once youv've pressure cooked the mix, discard the bones and reduce whats left in a frying pan untill it starts to get thick. Then dice the pulled pork and mix. That's your tamale meat core. As for Greg's comment, I've done the maza mix with lard and with the lard substitutes I mentioned. I think butter or a good virgin olive oil are better tasting and probably better for you too.

I just made 75+ for many consecutive years running. Too long to explain on the forum, but I can give you some good tips.

I will send you my number private, Give me a call.

Back