MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:14 AM   #121
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
It may have been the way it was last year but last year it was 1 out of 5 categories. This year its 1 out of 2 and 1 doesn't count.
For the sake of accuracy, less I've gone senile, last year th hot dog didn't count (it ws separate from the overall grilling, and two fo the entries wer on-sit, teh iron chef and dessert. So it was 2 out of 4 last year.

As I understnad it, this year the hot dog is also separate, and there are two entries for the girlling, entree' plus dessert or appetizer. So it is still 2 on-site elemnents with the 2 turn-in boxes eliminated, or 2 out of 2 for the grilling competition.

Obviously the on-site judging at 100% is greater than last year, but it jumped from 50% (2 of 4) and not 20% (1 of 5).

The rules are what they are and we are looking forward to having some fun again.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #122
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue's Your Daddy View Post
Joe,
If you really look at it, you can actually put all 4 grilling categories into your iron chef this year. Think of it as an app contest, meat or fish, desert and so forth.
I can see that and thats fine. It is what it is. I was just trying to see if there was anyone else out there that felt the way I do.....I guess not. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, I said my opinion/thoughts so thats that.
I can't wait for the contest, its going to be a fun weekend and hopefully a cool weekend. Hudson Valley was really hot and humid. Us big guys do better in the cooler weather.
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #123
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
For the sake of accuracy, less I've gone senile, last year th hot dog didn't count (it ws separate from the overall grilling, and two fo the entries wer on-sit, teh iron chef and dessert. So it was 2 out of 4 last year.

As I understnad it, this year the hot dog is also separate, and there are two entries for the girlling, entree' plus dessert or appetizer. So it is still 2 on-site elemnents with the 2 turn-in boxes eliminated, or 2 out of 2 for the grilling competition.

Obviously the on-site judging at 100% is greater than last year, but it jumped from 50% (2 of 4) and not 20% (1 of 5).

The rules are what they are and we are looking forward to having some fun again.
Maybe you are going senile but thats none of my buisness. Eat more fish it helps the nourish the brain. I know last year the iron chef/desert was judged on site and thats fine. But there were different scores for each one making it seperate. This year its together for a combined score. Last year you got judged for 5 categories 1. Pizza 2. Fatty 3. Iron chef 4. Desert 5. Hot Dogs(optional) This year 1.entree/desert or app 2. Hot Dogs(optional).
Like I said in my last post, it is what it is. I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone else felt the same way I do...thats all. I'm not trying to hate on the event or anything. I've been looking forward to it since last year.(especially since its really close to my house..lol) Plus I wanted to improve on my 2nd place pizza....lol
[B][COLOR="Blue"][COLOR="Yellow"]Joe[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] - [B][U][COLOR="DarkOrange"][COLOR="Red"][COLOR="Black"]CHUBBY HUBBY BBQ - [/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR][/U][/B] [B][COLOR="Black"]Humphreys[/COLOR][/B] [B][COLOR="black"][COLOR="Yellow"]Pint[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B] / STAINLESS UDS(Build in Progress)/2 UDS /1 WSM / Weber Gasser/ 22.5 Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36/ The Absolute Fastest Super Fast [B][U][B][I]BLACK[/I][/B][/U][/B] Thermapen[COLOR="Black"][/COLOR]
biggs98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 12:15 PM   #124
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue's Your Daddy View Post
Here is an easier question eric,A) What is the earliest that a judge can come to your tent. and what approximately will be the latest. Trying to get my timing down.
B) Eric, can you break down the pythagorean thereom please?:)
A) As long as there is an understanding that it is a rough (maybe very rough) estimate, I'll try to get you a time frame by Tuesday.

B)

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 12:51 PM   #125
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
I know last year the iron chef/desert was judged on site and thats fine. But there were different scores for each one making it seperate. This year its together for a combined score.

Intersting. My take was that there were two separate items being scored, one being the entree and the other being the app/dessert.

ERIC,

Can you clarify if the scoring is just all together, or separately for the entree and the app/dessert?
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©

Old 10-01-2009, 01:16 PM   #126
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
ERIC,

Can you clarify if the scoring is just all together, or separately for the entree and the app/dessert?
TIM,

I will confer with my compatriots this evening and give you a definitive answer tonight.

Old 10-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #127
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Tim and all,

There will be two scoring segments for the onsite.

1) Entree

2) Dessert/App.

Eric

Old 10-01-2009, 09:52 PM   #128
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Let me try to clear things up.

Last year, reading the competitors feedback much of it had a common issue, "fun, but too much work". The onsite judging of entrée and dessert took alot of attention, and the fatty and pizza in the 9x9 detracted from that. It also complicated the judging process having 2 categories in the tent, and 2 onsite. The judges also complained of WAYYYY to much food.
This year, taking the competitors feed back into consideration and to allow competitors to concentrate on the onsite portion, fattys and pizza were eliminated. Again the goal is to bring out creativity and originality, not only in presentation but your recipes, but without overburdening everyone. If this years feedback reflects a preference for more catagories, they will be back in 2010. The organizers are going out of their way to cater to the competitors wishes and really did take the feedback forms into consideration.

We have taken down the walls for the onsite judging. There are very few contstraints.
The presentation window is 20 minutes long.
I think I read this somewhere(someone please confirm)

The onsite is TWO CATAGORIES, judged as 2 categories. Presented however you want.

How your serve the judges and your presentation is ENTIRELY UP TO YOU. BE AS CREATIVE AND ORIGINAL AS YOU WANT!

Here are some examples of choices. They're not meant to be the only options, just the ones I can think of.

Eric, please correct me if Im wrong.
  • Serve the appitizers, have judges sampling that while you carve the entree and serve it
  • or serve the entree and be finishing up your desert and scooping the ice cream while they sample.
  • Serve Family style in a big platter, let the judges take form the platters just as they would a 9x9,
  • or have a place setting ready for each judge and or carve and serve yourself from a steamship roast.
The goal here is to bring out creativity outside of the 9x9. As long as the judge gets 2 catagories to sample in those 20 minutes, you have done your job.

The judges will score each SEPERATLY. The entree gets one score card and the other(appitizer or desert) gets one score card.

You may cook sides or other things to go along and add to presentation, but they will be considered like a garnish and not scored. If you decide to do this, make sure the judges know which they are scoring.

Creativity is your appearance/presentation score.
Originality is the originality of your recipe.
Taste is..well.. the taste.

Hope this clears things up.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #129
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

so then let me get this straight....
the grilling contest has two categories, entree and appetizer or dessert?
both are being judged in 3 separate areas, taste, creativity and originality?
both must represent the same specific culinary nationality or region?
we may or may not have a secret ingredient that must be used in the preparation of the both categories?
we will have a group of 6 judges and a table captain visit our site for 20 minutes but we will not be given a time when they will be there?
we are expected to have seats at a table for them and no walls on the ez-ups?
we can serve them our entries in any way we see fit?
4 categories is too much food for the judges?
what are the few constraints?
remind me to miss this cooks meeting...........

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 01:38 AM   #130
deez20
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Steve

I've got another question about the grilling portion . Let's say i wanted to do cheeseburgers for my entree. Do I need to make them all the same for the judges or can I provide the burgers/buns and then put out condiments(lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles,bacon...etc..) for them to assemble the way they like?

Chubby Hubby BBQ

WSM
Yoder YS640
Cookshack 008
GMG Davy Crockett
Large Big Green Egg
The Fastest and most accurate Thermapen, the ORANGE Thermapen.
Stoker
deez20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 07:08 AM   #131
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez20 View Post
I've got another question about the grilling portion . Let's say i wanted to do cheeseburgers for my entree. Do I need to make them all the same for the judges or can I provide the burgers/buns and then put out condiments(lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles,bacon...etc..) for them to assemble the way they like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
How your serve the judges and your presentation is ENTIRELY UP TO YOU.
Steve, it seems pretty clear.

I imagine that if you wanted to, you could have an hibachi on the table and have them grill it themselves!

Heck, we've gone and hired a Victoria's Secret model for the day and will be serving our entries upon her naked body laid out on the table. We just have to work out a few kinks though. In our practice cook, her constant complaining about the food burning her got a bit annoying, and that screech she lets out if you accidentally poke her with the fork hurts ones ears.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer

Old 10-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #132
JimDandysNYDan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Heck, we've gone and hired a Victoria's Secret model for the day and will be serving our entries upon her naked body laid out on the table. We just have to work out a few kinks though. In our practice cook, her constant complaining about the food burning her got a bit annoying, and that screech she lets out if you accidentally poke her with the fork hurts ones ears.
LMAO......First laugh of the day and a good one at that, Thanks.

Does anyone know about the Hot Dogs?....Are those going to be judged on site or not?
JimDandysNYDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 08:24 AM   #133
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDandysNYDan View Post
LMAO......First laugh of the day and a good one at that, Thanks.

Does anyone know about the Hot Dogs?....Are those going to be judged on site or not?

Here you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoeric View Post
From the Grilling Rules:

'There will be a Hot Dog category that will not count towards the Grilling Grand Championship. Teams will be provided with Sabrett hot dogs and will have free reign to do with them what they will. Standard grilled dogs, pigs in a blanket, chili dogs, hot dog tempura, franks and beans, etc.'

This will be a normal turn-in item. The time for turn-ins will most likely be 1:00 pm.

As was the case last year, NEBS can't or won't sanction the Battle of the BBQ Brethren. I believe that our grilling falls outside of their purview due to its on-site nature.

Eric
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer

Old 10-02-2009, 08:29 AM   #134
JimDandysNYDan
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, I should have read that a little more carefully...
JimDandysNYDan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #135
MikeR
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

Hey Bro- you do realize if my wife sees this it will just be you and your son cooking.

GRIM REAPER SMOKERS [B]-[/B] [I]"BBQ To Die For"[FONT=verdana, arial]™ [/FONT][/I]Under the [B]"LENIENT"[/B] direction of Pit Master Tim.

22.5 OTG, 18.5 OTS, 18.5 WSM, Chargriller Duo with optional side fire box.
[COLOR=red]"Founders Club" Operation BBQ Relief.[/COLOR]
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote