pulled chicken?

Soybomb

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but sometimes I think the supermarket rotisserie chicken is better than mine, at least in texture. I can keep my chicken moist, I can keep it tender, and I can do crispy skin but I've never been able to get it to "fall apart" like the rotisserie chicken does. Theirs shreds almost like a pork butt.

Whats the secret I'm missing out on? Its been a long time since I've done low and slow with chicken, have I traded crispy skin for firmer meat? Do their long hold times help? Is it the magic of the rotisserie? :becky:

If I'm guessing they've probably got a commercial rottisserie oven/cooker that an untrained monkey can operate which has all the bells and whistles built into it to do all the work.

Pulled chicken = overcooked. Wifey boils it once in a while for tacos etc. and it shreds easy.

I had a couple of pulled chicken sandwiches today at work...first time I pulled a smoked chick.
I could shred it very easy the day after the cook while the chicken was cold.

I want to say it's all in the rotisserie. I actually own a Ronco rotisserie and I can say that it makes one hell of a chicken! Seasoned properly of course. Smoker chicken is better but more work obviously.

At my shack I cook the breast to about 175 degrees pull it, sprinkle with rub and add apple juice to keep it. Easier to pull when it's hot.

I get it with beer can chicken. Nice crispy skin and so tender its hard to carve cause the bones just pull out when i hold them to cut wings and legs off.

I'm going to suppose that the holding has a lot to do with it; we have a small Family type store here in town and they do birds every day,but I ask for a"yesterday's" bird when I get them. It seems (like you say) the meat just ain't right until it sets a day.Kinda like Chili;it's darn good off the stove but give it a rest in the Fridge and WoW!:becky:
Maybe low and slow is the way to go if you want the meat softer. I , too get nice tender chicken when I 'can' them.I don't think it has anything to do with the liquid in the can however as I have done several on a stand with no liquid under them and still get a tender bird:thumb:Having said that,if I want crispy skin(for the wife or guest),I'll half it and put it on the high heat to crisp it up.
Anyhow,have fun while you are cooking and...

I used to inject chicken with a marinade that worked great in that you could cook the chicken until it just fell apart. You can get the same effect with a brine and cooking too long also. The rotisserie makes it easier for the store to manage and you never need to flip them. But, you can do the same with a chicken on a roasting rack.

I also like letting it sit overnight.

300F until she falls apart...easy. Skin is browned and looks good on the table. You can cut it apart with poultry shears.
5472323095_96426b3f0a_m.jpg

Back