• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Still haven't made up my mind

dinosdeuce

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
First post, great site and have a dilemma. I have used a small electric smoker for the past few years. I quit working and I got the bug to make a "real smoker". I acquired the the following and at first decided to make a vertical smoker with the following specs:
24" diameter x 66" long 1/4" wall pipe. The one end was cut pretty crooked. I cleaned it up. 2 doors. One for access to the fire grate and one for the smoke trays. The fire grate will be 22" below the first tray. There will be rack from 1/2" rebar 18" above that to hold a water pan that will also act as a heat diffuser. The tray holders will be spaced at 4" increments to the top. Weber 22 1/2" grill grates will be used for the food. The the fire grate will be made from 1/2" rebar. The only thing I haven't decided on yet is where to place the exhaust pipe. I was thinking 12" down from the top. That way the heat and smoke won't go straight up and out the top. This son of a gun will be heavy, but it will be put on casters.
This idea was posted on another forum ( found this one a little later) and was warned that this was not a good idea, to make an offset instead due to inherent temperature gradient problem with a vertical this size.. So now I am more than likely going with an offset.
I have read a lot here the last 2 weekends and have not found a lot of info on verticals. I was going vertical to save on space.
I thought I would get a second opinion here and hope to hear from someone who may have done what I was originally planing.

So any advice on why I should totally scrap the vertical plan for a horizontal would be greatly appreciated.

Also I hope to be able to participate on here later after I get more experience on the art of smoking. There are some awesome looking food posted here!

Thanks
Dino

Attachments

• Smoker plan.jpg
    Smoker plan.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 727
  • Smoker start.jpg
    Smoker start.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 733
  • Smoker descale.jpg
    Smoker descale.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 731
Last edited:
I'd go vertical but cut it down to 42" to 48" and put a 3" pipe dead center in top for exhaust - probally 10" tall. 2 Doors with 3-4 removable cooking racks plus a difusser rack. Have a fire grate or basket about 4-6" off the bottom and difusser/water pan 12-18" above that. Like a Tall, thick walled UDS with doors :grin: And I would definatley post pics of the Build and first Cook!

Last edited:
The one reason I can think to go horizontal with pipe that large is the ability to throw a pig in there.

I'd go vertical but cut it down to 42" to 48" and put a 3" pipe dead center in top for exhaust - probally 10" tall. 2 Doors with 3-4 removable cooking racks plus a difusser rack. Have a fire grate or basket about 4-6" off the bottom and difusser/water pan 12-18" above that. Like a Tall, thick walled UDS with doors :grin: And I would definatley post pics of the Build and first Cook!

SmittyJonz,
Thanks for the input and links to pictures. I very much appreciate your input. The other place had me second guessing everything. I will post pictures along the way.

Here is a vertical build my son & I did not long ago.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162551
Your pipe is much heavier so I don't expect you will have the issues we had. IMO the heavy baffle plate is essential. It cooks great on charcoal or small splits and the footprint is only 26"d.

You have me all fired up to get going on this build.

I will cut the length to 48" per SmittyJonz's input to this project and try to get the doors cut out today, don't know for sure because my cheap plasma took a dump on me cleaning up the one end. So for now a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutting wheel installed will be my tool of choice. Although not a good one for 1/4" wall.

Thanks all for the advice!

Dino

Got some things done today. Cut to a length of 48". Laid out the upper and lower doors and got the long ends cut through on both sides of both doors.

Just need to weld on the hinges. I am guessing you just line up the pin with the middle of the cut, correct??
Used up seven 4 1/2" cutting wheels.

Attachments

• door layout.jpg
    door layout.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 618
  • two cuts long side.jpg
    two cuts long side.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 621
Alright! You ain't messing around! I like it! make sure to update us as you go and or ask questions......some of the smart Fellars may be able to help ya out. :clap2:

Forgot to give out some intel. I was at target last Thursday and scored on these. The funny thing is I was going to buy 2 this payday and 2 more the next pay day at lowes for 18.99 each. At Target, 5.98 so I bought all five. 22 1/2" racks. Some times you smell like the rose and some times you smell like........ For once I was the rose!!

Attachments

• Grill grate.jpg
    Grill grate.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 574
This sounds like a pretty good plan but don't think there's any need for a water pan although you could have a rack above the fire to put a ( holy) diffuser on for the times you want to use one.

Need a little help in figuring out draft holes in the bottom. Since I am build a vertical I haven't quite figured out what dimensions to put in the field in Feldon's BBQ Pit Builder to get a good answer. using the following dimensions:
Fire crate will be 5" above the bottom
cylinder cook chamber 24" dia x 24 long
fire box dim round 24" X 18" long
fire box intake round 2" holes
it states 7.78 holes which would be 4 holes per side.
With the proper spacing the holes seem like they will be, basically all the way around the bottom of the smoker.

I was looking at putting in 3 x 2" holes on opposite sides at grate level with a sliding dampener. Will that be sufficient enough??

Thanks Dino

3ea - 2" holes? 1 hole per damper? I think it would be enough. If not - adding holes ain't that hard. Make the damper longer- rectangle so if u need to add holes the same slide damper can damper 2 holes. :thumb:
DWFisk has 1- 4" intake on his.

3ea - 2" holes? 1 hole per damper? I think it would be enough. If not - adding holes ain't that hard. Make the damper longer- rectangle so if u need to add holes the same slide damper can damper 2 holes. :thumb:
DWFisk has 1- 4" intake on his.

SmittyJonz,
Will do. Thanks for the help.

If target would of had 50 of those grates I would have bought them all! Nice score!!

Yea, for once I stumbled into a really good deal.

Thanks
Dino

Got some more done today. I didn't get to put in any damper work because this took more time than I thought. Got the smoker door lip welded in as well as the meat door lip. Weled on the smoker door hinges. I have a slight gap in the closed position. I hope the latches will seal it up. If not I will have to get some type of gasket. Waiting on removeable hinges to arrive for the meat door. Welded up a grate out of 3/8 rebar. Need expanded metal for the basket. Still need to make the ash tray, weld in stand offs for the racks make the dampers, and cap the ends. I am going to make some type of dome for the top. I don't like the idea of a flat top accumulating build up and dripping down on the food.
I need to get this thing done before the weather turn too cold.

Attachments

• Charcoal grate bottom.jpg
    Charcoal grate bottom.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 210
  • Charcoal grate.jpg
    Charcoal grate.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 211
  • Meat Door opening.jpg
    Meat Door opening.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Lip for door.jpg
    Lip for door.jpg