Shoud I get the EGG? Quickly Please!

My Costco still shows them listed at 6.5 C's
At 4 hundy I might just piss off the Pope (wife) and get one.:decision:

There are at least 8 Costco's closer to me, but my local stores were at $549 still. Waiting for yours to lower to that price might never happen.

Carpe Diem! And use a reliable vehicle.

I mentioned the deal to my wife, she told me to stay away from Costco till the near occasion of sin has passed.

The deal was very tempting to me also. But trying to save for a BGE instead.

I already have a BGE but I may get one just because the price is right!

jcinadr:

There should be an "Eggfest" in Austin next spring.
Salado, Athens . . .
Demo BGE's at discount prices
HTH

I just want to clarify what Ron pointed out. The Vision Kamado that is sold at Costco is NOT an Egg. The quality is not even close. Of course that doesn't mean that it is not a good pit and that you can't turn out excellent food with it. I'm not a big fan of buying something cheaper now to see if I like it and then upgrading if I do like it. First, you might not like it because of the poor quality. Second, if you do like it and upgrade, you've just thrown money away. If you buy it, then do so because that is what you want.

I looked over the Vision last year, and if I recall, it has a very heavy duty swivel "nest". Better than the BGE IMO.

The ceramic cooker looked fine and the it seemed to seal ok. Not sure if BGE components and accessories are interchangeable with the BGE?

The vents seemed to be the weak link. But I'm sure for just a few dollars, it can be retro-fitted or modded to seal and work just fine.

I may have to drop by a Costco today and see if they have any left over. Was just there last weekend and didn't see any in the one store I shop at.

I just want to clarify what Ron pointed out. The Vision Kamado that is sold at Costco is NOT an Egg. The quality is not even close. Of course that doesn't mean that it is not a good pit and that you can't turn out excellent food with it. I'm not a big fan of buying something cheaper now to see if I like it and then upgrading if I do like it. First, you might not like it because of the poor quality. Second, if you do like it and upgrade, you've just thrown money away. If you buy it, then do so because that is what you want.

Can we clarify what people mean by the quality not even close? I'm having a hard time trying to see the difference between the BGE and the Vision, or heck even the Kamado Joe for that matter other than the way it seals.

I'm seriously considering picking one up on friday and offloading my weber performer, smokey mountain and weber Q.

I think you will be pleased.. Either know you have a large offset you will love it for smaller family smokes and when you do not feel like tending a cooker.. Not to mention everything else it is capable of.

Everyone I have seen online that have purchased that unit have been more than pleased..

Can we clarify what people mean by the quality not even close? I'm having a hard time trying to see the difference between the BGE and the Vision, or heck even the Kamado Joe for that matter other than the way it seals.

I'm seriously considering picking one up on friday and offloading my weber performer, smokey mountain and weber Q.

I have a Primo and am very happy with it, so I don't have a dog in this race, but I've looked at these in 5 different Costcos from the west coast to the east. Take a close look at the materials. The clay of these Visions is much more coarse and every display model I've seen has had nicks and chips on the inside -- not on the outside, where you would expect on display models. In fact, from the outside, these models look beautiful. It is only when I open them up that I am disappointed. The hardware (grates, etc.) also appeared much poorer quality. One other thing is how the grate is situated. On the Kamado, it rests directly on the relatively thick insulating liner:

maxresdefault.jpg

whereas on the BGE, the grate is elevated or situated so a greater area is usable:

IMG_3519.jpg

My thinking is that the outer 2" annulus of the Kamado is not usable at least for grilling -- I certainly couldn't expect even heat in that region. This makes the effective cooking area of these Kamados much smaller than that of the BGEs. I looked at their minis this weekend and I'm not even sure I could fit a good-size steak on the region inside the liner. I do like the idea of having a dinner party and everyone has their own grill at the table to cook with -- that'd be cool. Again, I don't have a dog in this race, but there is value in the added cost of the BGE.

jcinadr:
There should be an "Eggfest" in Austin next spring.
Salado, Athens . . .
Demo BGE's at discount prices
HTH

:sad: There are several Eggfests in Texas every year, and every one is during the spring, during one of the most busy seasons I have at work (mandatory Saturday's, and often highly encouraged Sunday's as well).

I seriously doubt I will hold out that long. Right now it is just a timing thing. I am playing a Griswall, with 2 highly expected bonuses and a family vacation. Hopefully both bonus checks will be waiting for me when I get back and then while a discount would be nice, I will probably just buy and start enjoying it now, rather than waiting 8 months till the next Eggfest.

The Costco deal was tempting as a second cooker, which I almost could have afforded before the checks that are in the mail arrive.

@slammed: Don't be goin' and abandoning all your Weber gear! You already know the attributes of all of it, each piece of equipment does something best. I also have a Performer and a Q220, both perfect for different situations. It is up to you to mess up your whole yard or garage to store way more BBQ stuff than you can reasonably explain to a "Normal" person(You know, someone who is not on this board)! I hate to admit that I have 2 broken down 20+ year old Ducane gassers that I fully intend to restore(Intended for years). It is really hard to explain to Family and friends that come over why there are 6 huge BBQ's in my back yard. I have been told that there are some relatives talking s*it about my addiction, I mean obsession, I mean hobby. They all like Que though.

I have a Primo and am very happy with it, so I don't have a dog in this race, but I've looked at these in 5 different Costcos from the west coast to the east. Take a close look at the materials. The clay of these Visions is much more coarse and every display model I've seen has had nicks and chips on the inside -- not on the outside, where you would expect on display models. In fact, from the outside, these models look beautiful. It is only when I open them up that I am disappointed. The hardware (grates, etc.) also appeared much poorer quality. One other thing is how the grate is situated. On the Kamado, it rests directly on the relatively thick insulating liner:

My thinking is that the outer 2" annulus of the Kamado is not usable at least for grilling -- I certainly couldn't expect even heat in that region. This makes the effective cooking area of these Kamados much smaller than that of the BGEs. I looked at their minis this weekend and I'm not even sure I could fit a good-size steak on the region inside the liner. I do like the idea of having a dinner party and everyone has their own grill at the table to cook with -- that'd be cool. Again, I don't have a dog in this race, but there is value in the added cost of the BGE.

I really don't know how this thing works at all. In store, there are 2 grates, one mounts on the other about 5" above, and this top grate is not in the chicken pic. I don't know any more than that, as the floor model had all the grates & stuff banded together, ostensibly to prevent theft. I still have to research how to even set up and use a Ceramic cooker, and specifically my Vision Kamado. I thought the component quality was mediocre, such as the vents and side table mounting bracketry, but the grate components seemed good. I will inspect the ceramic insides for blemishes, I have no problem with returning a defective unit.

I do totally agree that paying for quality is worth it in most cases, but many seem to think this is a respectably decent cooker. I do not have your experience with this style machine, but I am sure You and others can help me if needed. I do value your opinion and will keep the factors you have raised in mind while learning. Thank You again for helping me when I asked for it. That must be why We are "Brethren".

@slammed: Don't be goin' and abandoning all your Weber gear! You already know the attributes of all of it, each piece of equipment does something best. I also have a Performer and a Q220, both perfect for different situations. It is up to you to mess up your whole yard or garage to store way more BBQ stuff than you can reasonably explain to a "Normal" person(You know, someone who is not on this board)! I hate to admit that I have 2 broken down 20+ year old Ducane gassers that I fully intend to restore(Intended for years). It is really hard to explain to Family and friends that come over why there are 6 huge BBQ's in my back yard. I have been told that there are some relatives talking s*it about my addiction, I mean obsession, I mean hobby. They all like Que though.

lol believe me if I could convince the wife to keep them all I would. In fact who knows maybe the grills won't sell on craigslist for a reasonable price and you know I can't wait until they are sold otherwise the grill wont be there at costco.

Already though with 7 grills i'm getting crap, although the prices ive paid I can easily make a profit by selling them. Maybe I just need to find some more land.....

lol believe me if I could convince the wife to keep them all I would. In fact who knows maybe the grills won't sell on craigslist for a reasonable price and you know I can't wait until they are sold otherwise the grill wont be there at costco.

Already though with 7 grills i'm getting crap, although the prices ive paid I can easily make a profit by selling them. Maybe I just need to find some more land.....

Or a new wife!! J/K of course. I know I would rather have all 3 proven pieces than the ceramic cooker, no matter how much I may come to like it. Heck, the WSM has at least twice as much capacity as the kamado as I think I see it, and everyone seems to think they conserve charcoal well, and hold temps quite evenly.

YES!. I got one and I love it. Cooks high and fast and low and slow. Holds temps great etc etc...

I have the Vision grill and am very happy with it. I am going to pick up another for my son and his family. This price is too good to pass up.

Back