Gateway or Cloud

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Hi All I finally got me a smart phone. So now I'm thinking about getting either of these two to monitor my cooks. I need some thoughts from those of you have used either one.

I do have the Digi Q DX 2 now, should I just keep it or move up the Cloud or Gateway? I have a tough decision to make.

Thanks DanB

Oh know here we go again???

Last edited:
Heard nothing but good things about the smoke but have heard about connection issues with both the gateway and cloud. I think if I were deciding between the two I would probably go with the cloud only because of how reliable the digiqs have been for me. I currently use the fireboard.

Dan I have the smoke without the gateway and it works just fine. In the two years I have had I have only had one connection problem and that was because I walked to far away from the main unit. I also have the digs for running my Humphrey’s and it has been great. If I was to need to buy again it would be a FireBoard.

CyberQ cloud versus Thermoworks smoke? If that's what I'm reading I'd go with the cloud as you can control your temps as well.

Ive had connection issues with the gateway but nothing that hasnt been able to be fixed before the cook. They recently had a server go down and I believe they are using a new third party service. No issues since then

I have had a smoke for about a year and a Gateway for a little shorter time. I have had problems with both, in the past and even now.

Immediately, the smoke would not transmit farther than 50-75 feet. When I go more than 10 feet into my house, leaving the exterior door open, the signal is intermittent. This is a distance of about 50 feet. The beeping is quite annoying. When I try to test the range at a line-of-sight distance, it is good for about 75 feet— tops. I sent the smoke to ThermoWorks and they claim the unit functions normally. No way.

I bought the Gateway and stopped using the Smoke remote unit. The system has worked okay until recently. When the Gateway stopped working, I updated the firmware and went through the sync process about 50 times. At the end of each setup cycle, the icon says that I am now "connected to the network". Not so. There is no temperature connection.

I have an Auber 1615 controller that works great but has no Wifi. I have used other Auber products and they have all worked flawlessly— including a sous vide controller.
These guys have a first class engineering staff and know what they are about.

I am dumping the ThermoWorks stuff for an Auber 2615 controller which I feel confident will function properly. My cousin has a 2615 and had a little problem getting the temp algorithm quite right. He called Auber, spoke to an engineer who asked a few questions and suggested some new algorithm parameters. Bingo, he now is always within 5° of set point. That's service.

ThermoWorks may be a good company, but I don't think they have this equipment sorted out yet. Anyway, I can't deal with any further frustration in this regard.

Hi Thanks all for the replies..I'm now looking at Fireboard. What I'm looking forward doing is graphing and being able to change things from a distant.
Thanks Again DanB

The pitmasterIQ IQ130 has Bluetooth connectivity too.

I’ve owned the Smoke and the Gateway since they both became available and have had zero connection problems.

Cloud or Gateway??

Hi All I'm still up in the air about which to get.. Looking now at Fire board. Things don't get easier??
THanks DanB

Hi All I'm trying to figure out a good price for selling my Digi Q DX2 with the WSM adapter. My cost was $219.
New Jersey only I don't feel like shipping.
Dan

Cloud or Gateway??

HI All I'm now looking at Fireboard. I can use the BBQ Guru fan for the Fireboard. All I will need is the Fireboard controller and fan cable.Then I'll also be able to use the Digi G at times.
I can also just buy the Cloud controller? Then I'll have an extra DX 2 controller.
Things don't get any easier do they. HELP :crazy:
Thanks Dan

Fireboard

Hi All I ordered the Fireboard with the fan cable, should be here on Friday..Will post back .
Now my 2 Mavericks will be obsolete?
Thanks DanB

HI All Its been awhile,just to post my results with Fireboard..Only used it a few times, works great..The best $ spent on BQ stuff, plus excellent customer service.
Would buy Fireboard in a Manhattan minute.
DanB

Back